Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach Gia will be 'roaring success'

DANIEL Giansiracusa will be a "roaring success" as a coach, Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney says.

The 32-year-old will play his 265th and final game against Greater Western Sydney on Sunday, before transitioning into a coaching role at the club.

"It was looking like last year was going to be my last but I probably wasn't ready but I am now," Giansiracusa said at Whitten Oval on Thursday.

"I've enjoyed the opportunity the club has given me to play another 15 games this year but I'm really looking forward to the transition into the next stage of my life."

The forward has donned the green vest for most of his games this season, and has become a mentor for some of the younger players on the sidelines this year.

McCartney confirmed the veteran would be playing the full four quarters against the Giants, and said he had no doubt 'Gia' would develop into a terrific coach.

"He's fulfilling another stage of his life for his family and he'll end up the same as he was as a player," McCartney said.

Read more here
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coach Gia will be 'roaring success'

Any idea what his role will be? Does he step into a genuine assistant role or is he a positional coach ala Mooney and Scarlett?

Post Thanks / Like

For his own professional development, he should probably go and get some experience in another club at some stage.

But not yet. And I hope he comes back to us afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    For his own professional development, he should probably go and get some experience in another club at some stage.

Has it actually been confirmed he will be with us next season, and if so in what capacity?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post

I disagree somewhat, as long as he takes on a Senior Coaching role when the majority of seniors players he has played with have left, IMO he will be great.
    He has basically has a leadership/coaching role with the younger players the last couple of years and from all reports they listen and respect him.
    Good coaches just have the knack and whilst it may help his development at another club, I believe Gia has much to learn from B.Mac and visa versa.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.