Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expectations?

Post Thanks / Like

Expectations?

I know that this season still hasn't finished and that ours will come to an end tomorrow but I wanted to ask that for next season do you reckon we go in there with less expectation and the results will eventually come and will be less disappointed or should we have higher expectation. 2011 we had high expectations from our then president David Smorgon that will going to have a great year but look what happened it was anything but.

Do you agree that:

Less expectations from supporters = less disappointment if things don't go right and more likely that the outcome will be good.

High expectations from supporters = more pressure on the club to deliver and not coming through which ultimately leads to huge disappointment all round.

Would love to get fellow woofers thoughts on this.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expectations?

I get where you're coming from ED, but that's too simple for what is more complex. It's a matter of needing to have realistic expectations and with our list, expectation for improved onfield performance must be non negotiable. If you work off the basis an outcome is good because people meet low expectations, then it might be good to review why that outcome would be good.

Every preseason is the same. It's fresh hope. You might want to study 1996 and 1997 with our club ED. An appreciation for those years might offer some historical clarity in how we need to look at things.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I get where you're coming from ED, but that's too simple for what is more complex. It's a matter of needing to have realistic expectations and with our list, expectation for improved onfield performance must be non negotiable. If you work off the basis an outcome is good because people meet low expectations, then it might be good to review why that outcome would be good.

Every preseason is the same. It's fresh hope. You might want to study 1996 and 1997 with our club ED. An appreciation for those years might offer some historical clarity in how we need to look at things.
    Yes I think having hope and realistic expectations are very important but an example of an expectation which may of been high might of been the push for the 8 this season which we didn't end up doing and has left many of us disappointed with this season. I would say that for next season a realistic expectation for me would be to win 10 games and be closer to the 8 but a too high expectation would be to make the finals in 2015. Some thought we would even sneak into the 8 this year.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 31-08-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

the dogs clear themselves of list cloggers , free for 2015.
    Its interesting to see the players hawks have moved on, bar McGlynn and Kennedy who could not get a game, would not make the cut, were on the decline or injury prone: gilham, whitecross, savage, clinton young, xavier ellis, adam pattison,hooper, carl peterson, Sierakowsk just to name a few of top of head.
    Geelong have done the same with, Hunt ( retired ) and Chapman( he could have a 1 or two left with essendon)

Post Thanks / Like

So season 2014 is over so for me realistically it will be tough to win 10 games next season based on this season. Any finals talk I reckon or that it is a shoe in that will win 10-12 games are having high expectations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    So season 2014 is over so for me realistically it will be tough to win 10 games next season based on this season. Any finals talk I reckon or that it is a shoe in that will win 10-12 games are having high expectations.
    Never make predictions on the next year a few hours after a bad loss Eastie.

There's free agency in and out father sons, trades, drafts and development. See if you can use the university research skills to look into our 1996 and 1997. This is the best part of the year because we need to have hope. Maybe not a flag but Richmond this year went from 18th to finals in one year. No list changes, no different players. Something's just click, ethic, application, belief and momentum.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Never make predictions on the next year a few hours after a bad loss Eastie.

There's free agency in and out father sons, trades, drafts and development. See if you can use the university research skills to look into our 1996 and 1997. This is the best part of the year because we need to have hope. Maybe not a flag but Richmond this year went from 18th to finals in one year. No list changes, no different players. Something's just click, ethic, application, belief and momentum.
    Yep fair point BT. Still a long way to go till next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Short of some miracle trades, we'll finish bottom 3 in 2015.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I was very hopeful at the beginning of the season. After last year's strong finish and the extra pre-season for the younger brigade I thought it was certain we would be better this year than last. But it didn't happen. The players that were meant to get better (in particular Jonas, Grant, Campbell, Redpath, JJ other back line players) didn't. So why would they get better next year?

It's quite depressing really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Short of some miracle trades, we'll finish bottom 3 in 2015.
    ! I expressed a similar thought in reply to you on another thread ! 2015: 18, 17, 16 - StK, Dees, WB.

Our player deficiencies are so great, it will take years to improve our ladder position. Our game plan also needs to be completely overhauled but probably the state of the cattle is such that the numbers around the ball style is about the best we can do - but I am not sure Macca has any other approach to shaping the team's playing style.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Ill be going in myself in 2015 based on the events of the last few days and this season with low expectation. If we don't do well I won't be as disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

I no longer have any expectations when it comes to the WBFC. I get let down too often by them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will win more games than this year why ? New coach brings new Energy and just because a coach goes doesn't mean our young guns won't continue to improve, they all might even play a lot better game if they weren't happy with the old coach.
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are going to have a bunch of draft picks, probably 2 top tens, either 2 in the 20's + a young GWS KPF or 3 picks in the 20's. Plus Cordy, Z for a steal at 60-something. Plus pick 43ish. And that is before the Cooney, Tutt & Jones issues are resolved. Looks like we'll be playing a lot of kids. It will be a development year but a very interesting one.

If the best offers for Jones & Tutt are low 40's and low 60's, I wonder if they would reconsider staying now that so much has happened?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

We shouldn't have too many expectations on Tom Boyd early in his career despite him getting a big pay packet. He still is developing which is the natural way to go.