Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expectations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expectations?

What a difference a couple of weeks makes! I am now feeling much more positive about 2015.

I think Higgins' loss can be covered. I think that Cooney was in all truth not making that much of a difference last year, bar a few games. Williams, Jones & Tutt won't be missed. Gia, being honest, had played one season too long. Three list cloggers have gone too. Yes, Griffen is a massive loss but we've got ourselves the right compensation in Boyd (great move PG & co!). We've scored Z Cordy really cheaply. We got a young guy pretty much for nothing from Sydney who has already been selected for two finals in his short career to date. We have 5 picks under 50 still. A new coach will bring a new style of play...just so much to look forward to!
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

My expectations : 9-11 wins

As we know our midfield has been cut down to size with the departures of Cooney, Higgins and especially Griffen so id expect the likes of Liberatore and Macrae to find it alot tougher given more attention from the taggers.

That said, I expect Stringer to find more time in the middle, Jong too given his VFL finals series and hopefully Smith comes back bigger and stronger so expect a different dynamic in the centre, and a even harder edge, I'm tipping Wallis to have a breakout season along with Grant up forward.

The forward line should now be well structured and I'm hoping Roughead plays his natural game and not only help out Boyd but give opposition coaches headaches with two 200cm forwards to contend with, as well as Crameri with Stringer and Bontempelli rotating between the middle and up forward, Roughy also gives Minson a chop out in the ruck, this should structure us up well but also have enough variations to keep the opposition guessing.

The backline is the tough one, but Talia showed great signs on his first season, he just has to play, Roberts and I also like the idea of Redpath down back, Roughy also to have that ability to help cover the defense whilst around the ground, he becomes an even more important player and let's hope his shoulders hold up.

I'm not expecting miracles from Tom Boyd but he does automatically fix our structure with match up's.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a Roughead to the forward line believer but with Boyd now in attack I'd really like to sow how opposition defenders would cope with two 200 cm options. It might be fun.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

We need to have high expectations, and we need to, as an entire club, learn to deal with that. If we fall short, so be it, but shoot for the sky gentlemen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've never been a Roughead to the forward line believer but with Boyd now in attack I'd really like to sow how opposition defenders would cope with two 200 cm options. It might be fun.
    With rotations, Stew Crameri could be one of the smaller players. Boyd, Roughie, Grant & Stringer bigger. But then the media reporting of Bulldogs over compensating and are now too tall stuff starts... Two 200cm big guys deep, a roving crumber like Dahl or Hunter and Grant, Stringer & Stew rotating through CHF and lead up work. That's pretty exciting stuff. Also with those guys forward I'd allow Minson not to worry about rucking forward 50m to cut some work down as well as more rest with Roughie second ruck. Hopefully that helps Will get back to a higher level. Flow on benefits to the team.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

All depends how Talia and Fletcher come on as it will have a massive impact on our flexibility down back. If 1 has a strong preseason and develops to a medium-high standard we will go forward. Both and it could be quick. Morris was our lone tall back at times last year which was a very bad joke. A fit and uninjured Roughy with an in-form Talia lets Morris play 3rd tall. It'll take 10 years off him . It also means poor bloody Easton Wood isn't playing 3rd tall....(seriously WTH were we doing last year??). This has far more impact on next year than our forwards I suspect.

I also think we are now 1 high caliber midfielder away from mixing it with most teams in the guts. Libba needs to learn how to play through the tag and learn it fast. That's what that other weak willed wanderer costs us as he was good at it. Getting Wallis back will help but we can't afford to lose another warrior early with smith out for so long. I'm excited about the year with zero expectations as it could do anything and I'll be ok with whatever comes after the trade period we've all sweated our way through!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be staggered if we won 9 to 11 games( pleasantly so)
    That much experience out the door in most cases ( regardless of their form and future prospects) usually means a drop or a plateau
    Having said that, the changes fill me with more optimism than was previously the case.

8. Likes F'scary, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited about next year thanks to one T.Boyd however just had my excitement tempered.

Watched the last quarter of round 4 win over GWS from this year when we ran over the top of them. Goal kickers in the last quarter in order were Griffen, Crameri, Jones, Jones, Tutt & Higgins. The two Jones goals put us in front and the Tutt one sealed it - Tutts was a ripper on the run from 60m. I'd say best in last quarter were Griffen & Higgins. Cooney influenced things including two ripper tackles and GWS forwards Patton and Cameron, who killed us in 1st half, were brilliantly beaten in last quarter by Tom Young & Tom Williams respectively. Oh Macca looked quietly stoked in the coaches box too. Are you sensing a theme here? A lot of change in this off season with the loss of a lot of experience and quality. Dampened my expectations a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

5 wins is about my expectation.

Some more pain before some long term gain. If we draft well, we should shoot up the ladder relatively quickly, but not next year.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Some more pain before some long term gain. If we draft well, we should shoot up the ladder relatively quickly, but not next year.
    I think this is close. All our pups getting hard tags each week, undersized backline, young forwards, really young list. It's nice to dream which is good to get through the off season, but long term looks great. I wouldn't be banking on too much, but a top 5 pick next year and all out assault on GCS and GWS talent together with free agency holds good thinking.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking 10 wins, with a lot of our kids taking the next step. The 2012 draftees are about to start their 3rd preseason, which is when a lot of players start to hit their straps at AFL level. Talia & Roberts should be ready, Roughead, Libba & Wallis are entering their prime. Our kids took the reigns in the second half of last year and still have a lot of improvement in them, young sides improve quickly.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

5 or 6 wins for mine, I just can't see our kids developing or adopting a game plan quick enough to really shoot up the ladder next year. Libba must learn to cope with a tag and the guys in the Roughy/Wallis/Wood/Dahl/Stevens must genuinely step up and go from promising to consistent high level performers. There is also that problem at CHB and FB...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

This would be quite unreasonable for me as we should, even with the major departures from our list be expecting to be around at least eight or nine wins.
    We won seven this year and really bar Higgins the other major losses in Cooney, Griff played bit parts.
    With the improvement of the kids and without any expectation on on Boyd I believe we will end up a game or two out of the eight.
    Nine wins with me being conservative, I really believe if we have a game against the Blues, two against the Saints, two against Melbourne, beat Brisbane one out of two, one against GWS, One against Suns and one surprise win we will be on target.
    This is not taking on Essendon who I think will slide and also Richmond who we seem to always do well against.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there's some on here going to be disappointed.
    You just can't wipe out that many games and expect to have an instant improvement .
    Love to be wrong though.
    The young guys will start well, but a long season finds them out .
    In 2011 we lost a lot of experience and although a few of those were virtually non contributors, it did effect our season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think there's some on here going to be disappointed.
    You just can't wipe out that many games and expect to have an instant improvement .
    Love to be wrong though.
    The young guys will start well, but a long season finds them out .
    In 2011 we lost a lot of experience and although a few of those were virtually non contributors, it did effect our season.
    Minson will step up and have Ayce to help out, Griff, Cooney bit parts, Jones won us a game really we have not gone backward so a realistic expectation would be to end up on par to last season.
    PS we may also have a game plan so add in a game or two.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.