Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well, I don't know what to say...

Dahlhaus' kicking is a serious concern. He can't move into the midfield with the way he uses it. And as a forward he needs to nail his set shots on goal. 17 goals 23 behinds is woeful for a small forward who kicks most of his goals from within 20m. 2 goals 8 to finish the last 5 games. Really disappointing and potentially game changing at times.

Another disappointing observation from the weekend was only 18 tackles to half time.

We didn't win every aspect of the game as suggested. We got smashed for pressure and only had more disposals on the back of overuse under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Dahl's kicking was the reason for him slipping through to the RD. It still needs some work to put it mildly.

Post Thanks / Like

He was a Rookie pick I think.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, that's what I meant Twodogs. Fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Dahl averaged more possessions per game this year, but he didn't have a good year IMO. Agree with the above - his kicking in general was poor this year, and absolutely woeful for goal.

He's not a midfielder. Needs to be chained to the forward pocket position.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I know Dahl averaged more possessions per game this year, but he didn't have a good year IMO. Agree with the above - his kicking in general was poor this year, and absolutely woeful for goal.

He's not a midfielder. Needs to be chained to the forward pocket position.
    I meant to say in my post - that Dahlhaus' form was very very good this year. Possibly top 3 b&f, probably top 5. If his kicking, particularly for goal, was better - then it's not an outrageous stretch for him to have been amongst AA discussion. His capabilities if he improves his overall attention to detail, is enormous.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate his decision making in midfield traffic, and it was compounded this year by his poor ball use. He may finish high up in the B&F but personally I thought he had a below par season. The capabilities are there, absolutely, but kicking skills are a fundamental part of the game, if you turn it over it ruins the rest of your game (ala Boyd).
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate his decision making in midfield traffic, and it was compounded this year by his poor ball use. He may finish high up in the B&F but personally I thought he had a below par season. The capabilities are there, absolutely, but kicking skills are a fundamental part of the game, if you turn it over it ruins the rest of your game (ala Boyd).
    Trade Bait?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Trade Bait?
    Nope, considering there doesn't appear to be any superstar KPF's available (which is the only instance I'd be prepared to trade him).

I would have him play forward a hell of a lot more though next season, particularly if we get somebody like Casboult.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I meant to say in my post - that Dahlhaus' form was very very good this year. Possibly top 3 b&f, probably top 5. If his kicking, particularly for goal, was better - then it's not an outrageous stretch for him to have been amongst AA discussion. His capabilities if he improves his overall attention to detail, is enormous.
    We generally had a poor year but I agree with your post. Dahl got a lot of attention from the opposition this year and learnt new ways to make a solid contribution throughout the season. The AFL player MVPs (votes cast by all AFL players for the best 3 players at each club) were published today with Dahl heading the tally at our club. I'd say he's top 3 for B&f this year.

Disposal efficiency of Bob Murphy and half of his possessions contested. If your looking at pure stats he's up on everything except goals / goal assists for obvious reasons and I would argue that having him run through the midfield has taken a bucketload of work off Griffen and probably helped the likes of Cooney as well.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We generally had a poor year but I agree with your post. Dahl got a lot of attention from the opposition this year and learnt new ways to make a solid contribution throughout the season. The AFL player MVPs (votes cast by all AFL players for the best 3 players at each club) were published today with Dahl heading the tally at our club. I'd say he's top 3 for B&f this year.

Disposal efficiency of Bob Murphy and half of his possessions contested. If your looking at pure stats he's up on everything except goals / goal assists for obvious reasons and I would argue that having him run through the midfield has taken a bucketload of work off Griffen and probably helped the likes of Cooney as well.
    Agree with that, I still think we can utilise him better through the middle than we have though. He may not be a great kick but his run and carry could be a huge asset, there are very few mids who'd catch him on the outside. I'd like to see us cut back on the in and under work he does and feed the ball to him more on the outside. Granted his scrapping and 1 v 1 ability is on par with anyone at the club but I think we need to work harder to get the ball to guys who will take the space and put defences under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how Honeychurch will compare with Dal in 3-5 years time?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

To my eye, Dal as a forward pocket is in the Ballantine, Milne class. As an onballer he is just another mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    To my eye, Dal as a forward pocket is in the Ballantine, Milne class. As an onballer he is just another mid.
    Is that just because we've seen so much more of him forward than midfield and that there is a tendency to lean toward big body mids now?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy for Dahlhaus to be played through the midfield this and next season.

Winning games isn't of vital importance, so if his overall contribution to the team is less its ok. Therefore he can hopefully develop into a midfielder without the pressure to have to be a really good one, and if he fails after next season we have a readymade dangerous small forward for when we are good, or if he succeeds we have a dangerous midfielder to add into the mix. I think its win win.

If we were a finals contender now though I'd be more reluctant to play him so much in the middle.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right