Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shaun Higgins - Liam Jones - Easton Wood - Will they, or won't they?

As we all know Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones and Easton Wood are still out of contract.

In my view it is more likely that all three will leave, than all three will stay.

Due to the time of year - mid September I am getting worried the likelihood of them all leaving is getting higher and higher by the day.

I understand Liam Jones is still playing VFL footy, but it appears with each game he play his perceived value is increasing even though it is only VFL. Which will increase the interest level of opposition clubs more and more.

Easton Wood had his best season yet and really grew into the third defender role and majority of this board thought he had a very good season - yet according to the best and fairest he had on ok year.

Shaun Higgins circumstances are well documented, turning 27 next year is looking for a deal to take him into his 30's and with his injury history you cannot blame him.

All three players from a list balance perspective and age profile are required.

However, based on form, consistency, injury or a combination for whatever reason all three have struggled to cement spots in the starting 18 or best 22.

Do we increase our offer to Liam Jones? Is it about money for him or is it about playing senior AFL footy?

Do we increase our term to Shaun Higgins?

I honestly don't know what the situation is with Easton Wood, perhaps GWS are still in his ear? Has been overpaid V output due to our desire to sign him up when rumours were rife that GWS would sign him as an un-contracted free agent and now we wish to decrease his pay?

Who out the three is the priority to sign and who can we afford to let go?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaun Higgins - Liam Jones - Easton Wood - Will they, or won't they?

I don't know what Eastons' problem would be. As you say, had a consistent season. Showed improvement. Was relatively injury-free compared to other seasons where he's had soft tissue problems. From Camperdown. Good upbringing. Why the hell would he want to go to GWS - if that's who's in his ear?

Post Thanks / Like

Wood is the only keeper of the three. If we can get decent draft pick compos/trades for the other two, take them. 2 early to mid second rounders would be fine.

I have given up on Jones and don't rate Higgins even though he had a reasonable season for us this year. I am tired of the "one more year" calls I hear for their retention. Our list is more clogged than the s-bend at a Pizza Hut.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GWS would have money in the cap. They could possibly also offering Wood the promise of majority of time in the midfield which may be appealing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Wood is the only keeper of the three. If we can get decent draft pick compos/trades for the other two, take them. 2 early to mid second rounders would be fine.

I have given up on Jones and don't rate Higgins even though he had a reasonable season for us this year. I am tired of the "one more year" calls I hear for their retention. Our list is more clogged than the s-bend at a Pizza Hut.
    Would you prefer to sign Jones above what we are paying him or let him walk into the pre season draft?

Post Thanks / Like

You get the feeling Wood is going to be used to get our first rounder a couple of places higher to secure Wright.

I still think Jones will stay. No evidence to back that up just a guess.

Higgins was gone 3 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins Gone ( the offers he's getting are bordering on silly)
    Wood ( might be on to something re up the draft order.)
    Gotta feeling now that Frawley's going to get a godfather offer from Freo, and hence Melbourne getting a ridiculous priority.
    Love Wood's run , but I worry about his decision making.
    As for Jones I've given up, as after 5 years of constant tease I've moved on .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    You get the feeling Wood is going to be used to get our first rounder a couple of places higher to secure Wright.

Would be quite a loss losing Easton, if that ends up being true I hope who pulls the trigger knows what they are doing.

Jones I'm a bit 'meh' with he really should've come on by now.

When or if it gets confirmed, I'll be pissed at Higgins if he walks regardless of the reasons. As far as I'm concerned he has the opportunity to repay the club for the years of waiting for him to be fit.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    I don't know what Eastons' problem would be. As you say, had a consistent season. Showed improvement. Was relatively injury-free compared to other seasons where he's had soft tissue problems. From Camperdown. Good upbringing. Why the hell would he want to go to GWS - if that's who's in his ear?
    Might be Wood for Jacksh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post

Interesting take on wood, something I didn't even contemplate.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised if GWS is promising more midfield time to Wood. He is far too low a possession getter to make it in the coal face. I hope he stays with us and that he continues to play off half back.

I also hope Jones stays with us. We can't be giving away the only key forward on our list who can actually impact the aerial contest.

Hope Higgins is offered a super deal and takes it.

Post Thanks / Like

Really hope we keep Wood. ATM we only have two defenders who I am confident are definite AFL level players for the next 5+ years, and he is one of them.

I think Higgins is much more easily replaceable and we would be fairly compensated for.

I am really keen to keep Jones, he is very talented and could excel if we can bring in any other tall target.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Would you prefer to sign Jones above what we are paying him or let him walk into the pre season draft?
    I don't see why we can't get a trade. If I recall correctly, it is actually not often that a player walks and puts himself into the preseason draft.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer to keep Wood and Jones. Is it possible that some signings are being held up due to Higgins and once he decides we may see a domino effect?

Post Thanks / Like

Wood is priority no 1 for me.

I'd like to keep Jones but I think he'll be gone
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers