Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  58
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shaun Higgins - Liam Jones - Easton Wood - Will they, or won't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I'm not convinced about that, I think it's more so we offered amount x due to his best and fairest finish etc, Easton and his management think with another season of improvement he'll have leverage to negotiate a better deal at the end of 2015.
    Thats the way I see it

Id prefer for him to lock in and have a career best year, because if he doesn't have it soon then maybe it is better to just cut our losses

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Not happy. We do the hard yards and another club potentially reaps the benefits.
    But it's OK for us to pick up players from other clubs when they're 23 years old and for whatever reason haven't gotten enough out of themselves?

He's been cooked with us for a long time. If he can get more out of himself at another club good on him. He's not worth piling more resources into from our end, he's clearly checked out.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogtragic - WOOF POLICE

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Bulldogtragic - WOOF POLICE
    Don't know I've probably as much authority as 'officer nasty' from numerous movies.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He's done with us so why the fretting?
    He's had long enough to improve and become consistent for us, and yet he's gone backwards or at best stagnated.
    As posters said previously good defenders get him .
    If he gets a good run at a marking contest he looks great one on one, but you don't get that often at AFL level anymore.
    Then there's the second third efforts which are a necessity that he doesn't bring on a consistent basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He's done with us so why the fretting?
    I don't think the article says anything definitive about him walking out on the club, only that he's "exploring trade options".

Post Thanks / Like

If jones goes, we will have gotten rid of a player who doesn't want to be a bulldog.

That's a win.

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But it's OK for us to pick up players from other clubs when they're 23 years old and for whatever reason haven't gotten enough out of themselves?

He's been cooked with us for a long time. If he can get more out of himself at another club good on him. He's not worth piling more resources into from our end, he's clearly checked out.
    How can someone who is 23 have been cooked for a long time?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always had a big wrap on Jones. Unfortunately he has yet to deliver consistently what he is capable of. Of course I would be disappointed to see him go as he could potentially find some consistency and become a good forward, however this may be another opportunity for a win-win for both parties. We may pick up a 2nd round pick for him which could be used to snare another decent kid or be used in a trade deal to secure another forward.

Anyway good luck to the kid if he decides to jump ship.

Post Thanks / Like

If Jones is gone I really hope Redpath get's a decent run in the 1's. That last qtr tackle & ferocity he showed for whole game in VFL grand final (yes I know it's not AFL) really impressed me. Redpath playing may be a necessity if Crameri cannot play !!

I've felt Jones often lacks ferocity/intensity. Still hoping he stays, however if he does not want to stay I trust our club to negotiate well for good pick(s) and then pray we use them wisely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    If Jones is gone I really hope Redpath get's a decent run in the 1's. That last qtr tackle & ferocity he showed for whole game in VFL grand final (yes I know it's not AFL) really impressed me.
    I've only seen him do that for one quarter ever though, so unless he can switch to "hunt" mode permanently then I don't think he is good enough. Aside from a lobvely kick he doesn't do anything at AFL standard.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't think the article says anything definitive about him walking out on the club, only that he's "exploring trade options".
    I take exploring options is I want out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I take exploring options is I want out.
    Or playing hard to get. Increase dollars or years...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    How can someone who is 23 have been cooked for a long time?
    Jones hasn't put a season together where his effort has been acceptable since 2010. Every year since then I have been more and more critical of him as he's matured (though I have made my fair share of excuses for him over many years), unfortunately during that time the only consistency he has had is his tendency towards erratic output.

My comment about him being cooked is made with the benefit of hindsight. I'd say he hasn't done much more than what I've come to expect from him since the start of 2013(and for me, two years is a long time when it comes to player development). Two seasons of stagnation at best, and clear regression at worst is enough for me to say we've thrown enough resources towards developing Liam Jones and we should move on.

Once again, if he develops elsewhere then good for him. I think he and us and us and him have respectively given all we can to the partnership and it's time to move on.

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Or playing hard to get. Increase dollars or years...
    Hopefully the club doesn't buckle if that's the case.