Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Footscray bring the flag home

The Footscray Bulldogs are the 2014 VFL Premiers, after a barnstorming final term saw them storm home to a 22-point victory over the Box Hill Hawks.

The Bulldogs kicked six unanswered goals to finish the match, and seal the Club’s first premiership in the state league, since 1924.

Box Hill held a six-point advantage at the final change and extended it to 18 points early in the last quarter, before a Bulldogs avalanche.

They kicked three quick goals to level scores, before Christian Howard slotted a difficult shot from the forward pocket to give Footscray a six-point lead.

In its first year in the competition as a standalone side, Footscray sealed the premiership when Liam Jones kicked two late goals to take his tally to five for the day.

Bulldogs Brett Goodes (30 disposals) and Lin Jong (31 disposals) were terrific in the win, and Jarrad Grant collected 20 touches and could have kicked more than his one goal if not for inaccuracy.

Goodes was named the Norm Goss Memorial medallist as best afield for his influential performance.

With senior-listed ruckman Ben McEvoy and midfielder Brad Sewell late withdrawals, other Hawks stood up in Box Hill's bid for back-to-back flags.

Mitch Hallahan (31 disposals) was excellent in the midfield, and James Sicily added some spice to the Hawks' attack with his speed and aerial exploits and booted three goals.

First-year wingman Billy Hartung also kicked a goal from 15 disposals and provided plenty of run but appeared to suffer a groin injury in the last term.

FOOTSCRAY 4.2 7.4 10.7 16.13 (109)

BOX HILL HAWKS 4.2 7.3 11.7 13.9 (87)

GOALS

Footscray: Jones 5, Dickson 2, Redpath 2, Campbell, Fogarty, Grant, Howard, Pearce, Tutt, Young

Box Hill Hawks: Sicily 3, Hallahan 2, Ross 2, Collins, Grimley, Hartung, Lowden, Willsmore, Woodward

BEST

Footscray: Jong, Goodes, Jones, Grant, Russell, Howard

Box Hill Hawks: Hallahan, Sicily, Ross, Litherland, Hartung, Woodward
    Last edited by bornadog; 22-09-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks KT31, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footscray bring the flag home

How good was that, and what a great atmosphere generated by the Footscray faithful.

Given that we weren't in the VFA/VFL for ninety years by my reckoning we have won the trifecta; ie. 1923, 1924 and 2014. Having said that my guess is that not too would have played in all three wins.

Oh, and next time some smart arsed Collingwood or Carlton supporter ask you how many premierships have the 'dogs won, ask them how many times their club have been Victorian Champions. You can then smile benevolently (in a superior way) at them at depart in good humour.

It may have been a long time ago, but it does occasionally help this old dog to have her day.

ps: Sincere thanks to all who helped make the existence of the team, and yesterdays win possible.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice drawing Mr. first dog on the moon.

Can we buy this from the club?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

susie bulldog Guest

When the realisation hit me that we had actually won, I found Peter Gordon standing next to me. We embraced and I immediately started crying with happiness and emotion. I am so proud of my club.

ps I love the drawing above!

Post Thanks / Like

i think its great that all the supporters got behind the club at VFL level. Great atmosphere and clearly a lot of emotion.....but this is just the VFL - can you imagine what it would be like to take home the AFL premiership? After seeing yesterday i think the hysteria would be like never seen in the AFL before. I hope the day is not too far away

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The start of a dynasty
    Last edited by bornadog; 22-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    i think its great that all the supporters got behind the club at VFL level. Great atmosphere and clearly a lot of emotion.....but this is just the VFL - can you imagine what it would be like to take home the AFL premiership? After seeing yesterday i think the hysteria would be like never seen in the AFL before. I hope the day is not too far away
    Had the same thought on the way home. God help us all when that day comes

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to buy that poster hope the club can make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to go back to that logo.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - Yes talking with the club about being able to buy that. Stand by...
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

15. Likes bornadog, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the atmosphere at the match was fantastic last week. For a VFL grand final the crowd was great. Was chanting Footscray during the game and got very slightly emotional when we were going to win it deeper in the last term. Loved that Etihad allowed patrons after the match to go on the ground which I thoroughly enjoyed. Got the Herald Sun paper the next day and kept the pages of the small coverage of our VFL premiership. Might laminate our team photo of us with the cup from the Herald Sun.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

bull79 Guest

What about Clarkson Monday on the couch, said "we sacrificed winning the VFL final to ensure we won the premiereship". What a Dick!