Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we thrown in the towel for 2024

"First Crack" raised the theory that we have woken up to the fact that we do not have the quality of players to become a premiership contender, and that we have decided to get games into the kids at the expense of the older stalwarts like Macrae, Dale and Daniel.

They mentioned the dreaded "R" word, rebuild. It was mentioned that when St Kilda decided, after round 4, some years ago, the whole club fell flat for the season.

Do Woofers believe that is what is happening, it might certainly explain some of the selections, and last week's poor, lacklustre performance. Maybe it also helps explain the recent loss of form for a couple of AA players.

Maybe, "are we investing 2024 toward future success", might have been a kinder thread header.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have we thrown in the towel for 2024

I find that hard to believe because it means it is curtains for Beveridge then. He can?t survive given his positivity for 2024 in his November media statements.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also a lot of those AA player are contracted long term so I doubt we are going to get great picks for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I said a few weeks ago that our current situation reminds me of the 2018-2020 period where we did rebuild.

It was only retrospectively that I figured out what was going on, because Bevo was saying similar things to what he is today in that we're always searching to be as good as we can be as quickly as possible.

If Bevo had the political capital to run with another rebuild in contradiction to all of the messaging coming out of the club the past eighteen months I'd be very surprised.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The team played like it on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's a rebuild as much as it's disruption. Culture change maybe. It's a very hard thing to do and you need complete buy in.

Some of the selection decisons have probably fractured the group and got some noses out of joint and dependant on how influential those affected are it could take some time to settle.

If this is the case and we are driving change then im hopeful things will find a natural groove pretty soon.

If they don't and we've pulled the wrong lever then it might be a tough road back for Bevo.

Can't have too many more Friday nights.

8. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Can't have too many more Friday nights.
    No because when you lose it makes for a shitty weekend.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we've identified that the personnel are in decent shape but the game style didn't mesh with modern footy. We looked at Collingwood and GWS last year - speed on the ball, score from turnover, immense forward pressure, slingshot from half back - and we've attempted to modify our style to be more in line with how the game's played on 2024.

I think we've seen guys left out whose games don't suit that style (Macrae, Caleb) in favour of guys who bring leg speed and ability to get across the ground (Gallagher, Bramble).

The question for me is are we seeing teething problems or is our list incompatible with the new style? Can talented players like Caleb and Macrae be taught new tricks?

Bevo needs to figure it out pretty quickly.

12. Likes GVGjr, Sedat, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the key question around this is confusion. Bevo poured fumes on it in his presser.

So we have had:

-Robbo touch on it in the tackle.
    -Peter Ryan wrote a piece on it The Age
    -The First Crack team have ran with it too.
    -Kornes also ran with it on Sunday on the footy show and AFL media

So it is now the story of the week. It will be fascinating to see how Bevo handles the questions he is going to get at his next presser.

Post Thanks / Like

Changes had to made after the way we finished off last year. To keep as it was makes no sense and if that means a new game plan and a few of the senior guys missing out then so be it. I don't mind the run and gun as we look good when we throw it around and take the game on.

My issue is the players we have brought in to execute this game plan are not up to AFL standard. Players like VDM, Bramble, Baker, Poulter, Harmes etc I can't see being long term nor making a difference. Our list is so out of whack to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Another two journos have now had a crack at the mystery that is the Bulldogs.

-Connolly on ESPN https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...present-future

-Jay Clark in the Herald Sun https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...6f30fe1f5f?amp

So that is six and coutning and we have not had the Monday night footy shows yet. Bevo's presser is a real head scratcher for the mixed messages and confusion it has created.

We need a massive effort Thursday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Another two journos have now had a crack at the mystery that is the Bulldogs.

-Connolly on ESPN https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...present-future

-Jay Clark in the Herald Sun https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...6f30fe1f5f?amp
    I think Jay Clark was the jurno asking a lot of questions in Friday nights aftermatch press conference.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think selection is losing us matches. The one that is probably having biggest impact is Darcy v Lobb, due to Darcy being not as good in the ruck, and I don't know what his time on ground has been, but Lobb was more or less always out there I think. So I'd probably say the only "now vs later" trade off being made is that one - and it's not like Darcy isn't bringing a lot to the table. He is. I don't see how you could possibly leave him out.

I think we can blood the young guys and still contend. I just don't think the team is executing what's required very well, or they're not having a red hot crack... which could be cause Bevo has lost them.

18. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think Jay Clark was the jurno asking a lot of questions in Friday nights aftermatch press conference.
    100%. It was him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    100%. It was him.
    Was his article reasonable? His questioning on Friday night was pretty good compared to the normal after match questions.
    More of an In Bruges guy?