Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vale Robbie Flower

I thought he took that screamer much closer to goal than CHF Remi. In my mind I'm seeing him take it on the edge of the square. He certainly took the kick from almost the goal square.

I vividly remember that day. I caught my mate crying afterwards.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can't remember a more exciting and intense game of footy. Unbelievable afternoon at the footy. Especially when we knew what was happening at Kardinia Park.
    As a 9YO standing at the Geelong Rd end, all I can remember was Flower taking over in the 2nd half, and the game finishing in near darkness. Heartbreaking day for us, the drama of football

Very sad to go so young - do feel for the MFC family ATM
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Still remember that game in 81 where he took that screamer at centre half forward, and got the dees home by a point.
    That was there only win for the year, and we won two games.
    Hawkins v Flower was worth the admission
    Yeah Flower and Hawkins both dominated - as direct opponents! It was as if they lined up on each other and said
    "G'day Robbie",
    "G'day Doug"
    "Let's just go for it, hey?"

They both sought each other out after the game and exchanged a chest/back pat. You could tell that two pure footballers had really enjoyed a shoot out. Modern coaches wouldn't allow that these days (and both sides were very poorly coached at the time), but geez it was good to watch two pure talents just doing the party tricks.

Robbie Flower represents that nostalgic memory for me. So his death is a real shock.

Post Thanks / Like

A tribute:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This is very sad. He was a great player of his time and represented what loyalty was which just isn't there that much today. He will be missed. RIP.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Yeah Flower and Hawkins both dominated - as direct opponents! It was as if they lined up on each other and said
    "G'day Robbie",
    "G'day Doug"
    "Let's just go for it, hey?"

They both sought each other out after the game and exchanged a chest/back pat. You could tell that two pure footballers had really enjoyed a shoot out. Modern coaches wouldn't allow that these days (and both sides were very poorly coached at the time), but geez it was good to watch two pure talents just doing the party tricks.

Robbie Flower represents that nostalgic memory for me. So his death is a real shock.
    Still remember this day like it was 5 years ago, not 27. Aside from 1997 and 2009 PF's and the Brownless after the siren in 1994, this was the most shattering game I've watched. I can remember Ricky Jackon's snap almost bringing rain it went so high but then sailing through to put the final nail in our coffin for that season. And Robbie Flower that day was absolutely majestic, much as he was for his entire career.

Flower was a champion in a horrible team - he always stepped it up for the Big V and commanded respect from the best footballers in Australia, as he was one of them. Really sad news and quite unexpected - condolences to the family and also to the Demons.

Post Thanks / Like

Before my time. What modern day played are similar to him?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Will Hoskins-Elliot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

None really.

The game Robbie Flower played doesn't bear much resemblance to how they play the game they play today. Even at the time he would have been 15-20 kilos lighter than most of his opponents but his talent would win him the contest. We don't really have wingers any more. It's another position that's been sucked into the midfield scrum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Rob Murphy would be the closest we would have but not in the same class. Checkout the tribute video from BAD. he's one of the best players I've ever seen. My first choice winger in my all time best team.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Rob Murphy would be the closest we would have but not in the same class. Checkout the tribute video from BAD. he's one of the best players I've ever seen. My first choice winger in my all time best team.

Better than Doug?

Post Thanks / Like

Better than Doug?
    Doug remains my all time favourite Bulldog player.
    Certainly as good as Doug before Doug did his knee although my bias may be coming through a tad.

I liked The Doctor's comparison to Bob Murphy. If you think's of Bob's very best, in particular his movement through heavy traffic and ability to find space and targets where others might struggle, add some pace and a great ability to consistently out mark his opponents, like Johnno, then you have Robbie Flower.

He was one of the finest.

13. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Better than Doug?
    yes as I say my first choice winger in my all time best 18
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. He must have been great to watch live.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the highlight package and it bringing back memories, IMO if possible he would be a better footballer the way the game is played today.
    Dare I say Judd would be classed as Floweresk.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.