Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's your all time best 18 (all clubs)?

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Big call how many of them have you seen? I would have E.J at CHB no problem if I had seen him play - he was easily the best CHB of all time and probably top 5 best players of all time too. I saw Peter Knights a fair bit and have him above Jakovich so I chose him.
    I guess the qualifier is "whole career", which probably can't be said for too many players other than Jakovich.

Unfortunately someone of my age has only highlights and anecdotal evidence with which to compare players, and we have to do the best we can with that if we are to participate in this type of discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I guess the qualifier is "whole career", which probably can't be said for too many players other than Jakovich.

Unfortunately someone of my age has only highlights and anecdotal evidence with which to compare players
    , and we have to do the best we can with that if we are to participate in this type of discussion.

You will just have to take my word that Foster was the best.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You will just have to take my word that Foster was the best.
    Duly noted.

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather always said that Alan Hopkins was the best footballer he ever saw (EJ included). So (in appreciation of the 300 odd games he took me to see over the years) my vote for the centre spot goes to Alan Hopkins.

Just some personal preferences now. Carey was a much better footballer than Hart, Dunstall over Lockett, Leigh Matthews and Bobby Skilton have to get a mention; and EJ anywhere and everywhere. I was lucky enough to see about 200 of his games, and I think I saw him play in every position except back pocket. And he was certainly the best backline player I ever saw, not that we could afford the luxury of leaving him there.

Finally, I can't remember another another ruckman who dominated his era like Garry Dempsey, so he definitely gets my vote too.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    My grandfather always said that Alan Hopkins was the best footballer he ever saw (EJ included). So (in appreciation of the 300 odd games he took me to see over the years) my vote for the centre spot goes to Alan Hopkins.

Just some personal preferences now. Carey was a much better footballer than Hart, Dunstall over Lockett, Leigh Matthews and Bobby Skilton have to get a mention; and EJ anywhere and everywhere. I was lucky enough to see about 200 of his games, and I think I saw him play in every position except back pocket. And he was certainly the best backline player I ever saw, not that we could afford the luxury of leaving him there.

Finally, I can't remember another another ruckman who dominated his era like Garry Dempsey, so he definitely gets my vote too.

Any reasons Jeanette54?

For mine Hart was by far the best player in a superstar team that was also a team of superstars. He could dominate games (and did) on one leg given he he only had one working knee for the last half of his career. "Kick it to Royce" was a gameplan that carried Richmond to four premierships.

Carey was a superstar and he had it all. But I reckon Royce Hart had a little bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

Any reasons Jeanette54?
    I always thought that Carey monstered defenders, as he rampaged around the forward line and had the capacity to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and shake the life out of it. He also never had the quality of delivery that Royce had and so I thought Carey was better at winning his own ball and had better on field leadership qualities. (one indiscretion excepted).

And truthfully, I have never forgiven Hart for his appalling coaching and the time when we all almost lost the faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that Carey monstered defenders, as he rampaged around the forward line and had the capacity to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and shake the life out of it. He also never had the quality of delivery that Royce had and so I thought Carey was better at winning his own ball and had better on field leadership qualities. (one indiscretion excepted).

And truthfully, I have never forgiven Hart for his appalling coaching and the time when we all almost lost the faith.
    Not sure about the Tiges re. Hart but gee Carey had some great players delivering the ball to him through the 90s.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh! I was wondering how much this had to do with it.

All fair points re Carey I reckon but Hart captained just as many premierships as the Duck. He was a God awful coach though.

Years ago when Carey mania was at its peak I posted my view that Hart was a better player than Carey and the next day on morning glory Tim Watson called me a moron.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago when Carey mania was at its peak I posted my view that Hart was a better player than Carey and the next day on morning glory Tim Watson called me a moron.
    I can't believe that little timmy grew up to be so rude :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that little timmy grew up to be so rude :-)

Little Timmy had very naughty elbows. I remember one of them breaking Tony Liberatore's nose as the teams were walking off at halftime once.