Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Unlucky Non-Captains

I was thinking today how many captain like great young leaders we have, and that most won't get the chance to hold the captaincy permanently (unless we go down the Grant Thomas rotation policy).

Got me thinking about players past very unlucky that other great leaders were about. Scott West and Gia spring immediately to mind as either guns/good leaders who just had too many other stand outs to get the captaincy.

Other nominations?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unlucky Non-Captains

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was thinking today how many captain like great young leaders we have, and that most won't get the chance to hold the captaincy permanently (unless we go down the Grant Thomas rotation policy).

Got me thinking about players past very unlucky that other great leaders were about. Scott West and Gia spring immediately to mind as either guns/good leaders who just had too many other stand outs to get the captaincy.

Other nominations?
    Choco Royal
    Andrew Purser

Post Thanks / Like

Ian Dunstan
    Left to go to North where he was a dud, would certainly been captain if he had stayed on.

Post Thanks / Like

Fosi was well liked by all at the club. A true larrikan but a genuinely good footballer who led by example on the field. Others would have followed him to hell no doubt and we played bigger and better with him in the side.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Early on I thought Libba would have been a inspired choice, and I although I could see the reasoning I always though Wally was unlucky to lose it.

If Gronners ever got the job he could have always started his players address with, "this is your Captain speaking."
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

6. Likes Twodogs, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a number of players that are potential future captains.

Wallis, Roughead, Hrovat, The Bont.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead is the captain of the vice so he would be next in line I think.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    Ian Dunstan
    Left to go to North where he was a dud, would certainly been captain if he had stayed on.
    He pretty much was captain for the two seasons when Templeton was rehabbing from his knee.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.