Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  174
Page 40 of 60 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who should we get as our new coach?

Take out all rumours , he says , she says , and urban myths. In my humble Bomber Thompson would be a walk up start (if interested) as number 1 pick for new coach , Worsfold number 2, and probably Choko Williams number 3. No mention of any of them. WHY????????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    Take out all rumours , he says , she says , and urban myths. In my humble Bomber Thompson would be a walk up start (if interested) as number 1 pick for new coach , Worsfold number 2, and probably Choko Williams number 3. No mention of any of them. WHY????????????????????????
    maybe the club will surprise us?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    maybe the club will surprise us?
    Yep it's done a fair bit of that lately...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Being a mate with the players is really difficult to get past. When my daughter was involved with flat water Kayaking, she decided to give back a little to help out some of the other girls in the squad.

My daughter was clearly more skilled and had achieved more than the other girls and was encouraged to do a coaching course to compliment her, and was eventually appointed as an assistant coach. In one of her first sessions, the head coach asked her to take out some of the girls for a training session. Some of the girls started questioning her and saying, who are you to tell us what to do.

You really have to earn your stripes and hopefully if a Monty or Beveridge are appointed they realise the senior role is a whole new kettle of fish. My daughter learnt the hard way.
    This may go a way to explaining as to why your daughter ended up in front of the other girls, willing to learn, attitude and realising a snippet of information can come from anyone (especially a new coach who has been through the process) could hold the key to the ninth of improvement needed to step up a grade.
    I once coached a junior player who was so keen and eager to learn that he read all the books and tutorials I could get him, he was just an OK cricketer but I am positive one day he will be a cracking coach.( sometimes I think he coached the kids more than me )
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    Look I don't post here much, but I keep seeing the question being asked about Bomber. It is impossible to answer without being slanderous.

I have heard from at least three different credible people the reason why Bomber is persona non grata at the moment. It is common knowledge inside the industry I am given to believe.

Listen to the media tip toe around it when they discuss Bomber. They know but can't say.

Join the dots. Bomber has been under incredible pressure all year. Bomber is independently wealthy and has money to burn so to speak. Bomber has displayed increasingly eccentric/erratic behaviour culminating in his B & F speech. Bomber goes on holiday when jobs are up for grabs. Bomber is not contactable by his current employer or seemingly anyone else on his return.

If people can't join the dots from this, well that is the best you are going to get in a public space.

7. Likes 1eyedog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post
    Look I don't post here much, but I keep seeing the question being asked about Bomber. It is impossible to answer without being slanderous.

I have heard from at least three different credible people the reason why Bomber is persona non grata at the moment. It is common knowledge inside the industry I am given to believe.

Listen to the media tip toe around it when they discuss Bomber. They know but can't say.

Join the dots. Bomber has been under incredible pressure all year. Bomber is independently wealthy and has money to burn so to speak. Bomber has displayed increasingly eccentric/erratic behaviour culminating in his B & F speech. Bomber goes on holiday when jobs are up for grabs. Bomber is not contactable by his current employer or seemingly anyone else on his return.

If people can't join the dots from this, well that is the best you are going to get in a public space.
    Also refusing to pay his AFL fine ($30k) - I think due today.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    A sampler...

Beveridge on cameoing as senior coach for the Hawks in a NAB Cup tilt earlier this year, and his approach more generally.

Clearly no dill, but not sure this grab showcases his oratory skills.
    Watched a clip of Sumich from 2012 and this one for Beveridge. Both spoke OK. I was more impressed by Beveridge's oratory skills. He seems very thoughtful and I liked the bit where he says "(acting as senior coach in NAB preseason match) you probably think a lot more about how you get your messages across". Can see why he might be leading the race. If he is able to transform our backline into something approaching Hawks that would be massive. If he has been an auditor he has an eye for detail which I think will help. I think he has a bit of presence about him too.

Leigh Tudor speaks OK however seems a bit more introverted and strikes me as a person who is perhaps content playing 2nd fiddle.

Mu concern regarding Monty (apart from the mud that sticks being part of club's recent shmozzle and the unsubstantiated rumours of him white anting) is that as senior assistant coach I thought some of our match day tactics were poor. Also, although he was a premiership player, I understand he has no experience with other clubs.

Having said this, I'll support whomever the club appoints and trust them to make the best decision given the candidates available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Watched a clip of Sumich from 2012 and this one for Beveridge. Both spoke OK. I was more impressed by Beveridge's oratory skills. He seems very thoughtful and I liked the bit where he says "(acting as senior coach in NAB preseason match) you probably think a lot more about how you get your messages across". Can see why he might be leading the race. If he is able to transform our backline into something approaching Hawks that would be massive. If he has been an auditor he has an eye for detail which I think will help. I think he has a bit of presence about him too.

Leigh Tudor speaks OK however seems a bit more introverted and strikes me as a person who is perhaps content playing 2nd fiddle.

Mu concern regarding Monty (apart from the mud that sticks being part of club's recent shmozzle and the unsubstantiated rumours of him white anting) is that as senior assistant coach I thought some of our match day tactics were poor. Also, although he was a premiership player, I understand he has no experience with other clubs.

Having said this, I'll support whomever the club appoints and trust them to make the best decision given the candidates available.
    He was an assistant coach for (I think) 3 seasons at Carlton under Ratten before joining the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sedat. I'd forgotten but it does ring bells. If he does get gig good luck to him and if he does not it will be interesting to see if he stays on.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I liked Macca and his coaching/teaching philosophy, we would be foolish to consider an untried coach. Right now at this stage of our progress we have to look for experience ... Premiership experience would be even better.

Please not another untried ... We tried that approach and failed
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Joyce
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

14. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes chef, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red White Blue View Post

I can confirm what you're implying. Bomber would be a disaster, and not just for that reason.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    We could as easily end up with the next Hinkley as we could Blight version St Kilda.

Experience isn't everything.
    The curse is dead.

17. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about john worsfold? Articulate, proven hard man, all Australian, premiership coach with loads of experience. No more untried coachs pleeease. Wonder if there are regrets that they didnt snaffle Leon Cameron when we had the chance 3 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haberb View Post
    What about john worsfold? Articulate, proven hard man, all Australian, premiership coach with loads of experience. No more untried coachs pleeease. Wonder if there are regrets that they didnt snaffle Leon Cameron when we had the chance 3 years ago.
    Everything is easier in hindsight, but it is obvious now that we should have appointed Leon as head coach and Macca in a development/mentor role.

Since that ship has sailed, we should be looking at doing the same thing again by appointing the best of the untried candidates as head coach and Worsfold in the mentor role.