Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  174
Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who should we get as our new coach?

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Thanks for that BAD. Good read and true. One of McCartney's strengths was apparently in his teaching ability, however there appear to have been issues in his general communication in particular with the older players - maybe he was demeaning towards them - who knows.

In regards to Griffen a number of supporters (myself included) were quick to criticise him for his decision to leave the club (in particular the manner in which he did) but as this article points out, the burden of leadership may well have weighed down heavily on him and made him depressed. He may not have known how this would have impacted him until taking the role on and then when it did start to weigh him down it may well have been to late for him to do anything about it, or he may not have sought help as he felt that this would be a sign of weakness.
    It should be noted that it's been acknowledged that McCartney didn't have any communication issues until the second half of the 2014 season, funnily enough coinciding with issues raised with under performing senior players and seemingly a few younger players.

There's some very good points in the article, the better side of me would prefer to think Jenny Williams has some specific insight into the issues at the Bulldogs and isn't generalising based on anecdotal evidence. The other side of me isn't that generous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It should be noted that it's been acknowledged that McCartney didn't have any communication issues until the second half of the 2014 season, funnily enough coinciding with issues raised with under performing senior players and seemingly a few younger players.

There's some very good points in the article, the better side of me would prefer to think Jenny Williams has some specific insight into the issues at the Bulldogs and isn't generalising based on anecdotal evidence. The other side of me isn't that generous.
    To me something has gone astray that we don't really know about and don't have the full story. I think to sack a coach with two years left on his contract, there must have been some major concerns by the club.
    Last edited by bornadog; 24-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting on Thompson. While I don't think he would ever have been a contender for our club's position, it seems he's not putting it together personally.
    He has always been regarded as an eccentric type. Good sense of humour not not necessarily the type that lives and breathes football which you would think is a requirement for a top coach. I gather the Cats put an outstanding team around him.
    Handles the media well but I don't think he would be the right fit for us.

I'm still struggling to work out who should be our coach. There are positives and negative with nearly every candidate.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised we haven't heard any leaks yet. Usually by now you have at least heard the main candidates. Occasionally a journo with good info will break ranks and suggest someone is in the box seat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Surprised we haven't heard any leaks yet. Usually by now you have at least heard the main candidates. Occasionally a journo with good info will break ranks and suggest someone is in the box seat.
    Yes thinking the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    To me something has gone astray that we don't really know about and don't have the full story. I think to sack a coach with two years left on his contract, there must have been some major concerns by be club.
    Yet they reviewed the situation and decided to keep him on - until Griffen was coaxed away from the club and the spotlight of leadership.

I think in hindsight it was a poor decision by McCartney and the Club to appoint Griffen as captain. Hopefully we learn from it and ensure we appoint a leader who wants to take on the rigours and responsibility of the role.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent read the artcle but is it written by the same Jenny Williams who was/is married to Mark Williams?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I havent read the artcle but is it written by the same Jenny Williams who was/is married to Mark Williams?
    His sister.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Williams married his sister?

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Williams married his sister?
    Not quite.

Jenny Williams (born 11 January 1957) is a South Australian sportsperson ... She is the daughter of Fos Williams, and the sister of Mark and Stephen Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know mate, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He probably doesn't have the required background. Why do you think he should be regarded around the same mark as the other guys?
    Scott west is pretty short odds compared to Maple, which is a surprise.
    I've heard Maple speak to the players and I thought he was quite good. Got us our first premiership in the VFL. I know people will point out how different VFL is compared to AFL, but Brendan hadn't even coached a single VFL game let alone a premiership and we let him in the door.

Secondly, I would have thought his connections with the club are a pretty good background, understanding our playing list so well, and having already worked with many of our seniors. Is this a disadvantage? Not coming in with fresh eyes?

In short, to me there isn't a stand out applicant at the moment. So why not get someone for a year who we know will do a solid job, continue the theme that Brendan laid out and wait until a blue chip coach is ready?
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 24-10-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know mate, thanks.
    Knew you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I would assume that Ratten's price came in when Darcy was appointed to the coaching panel. Shortly before his appointment he was quoted in the HUN saying he thought the Bulldogs should appoint Ratten.
    Just realized it was Dempsey not Darcy who was quoted.