Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  174
Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who should we get as our new coach?

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Anyone know when Beveridge gets back to Melbourne city? We may have told him to enjoy his holiday and not rush back for an interview, considering the stresses of the job once you take the reins.
    From a Herald Sun article earlier in the week:

Beveridge has spent about three weeks on a family holiday in the United States but the Herald Sun believes he is due back on Monday

Post Thanks / Like

So the media has made him favourite and he hasn't even been in the country the last 3 weeks.
    Wish I knew a place that would give me a job while I'm on holidays.
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope we get this done soon, head coaches deserve a say in draft recruiting. I'd hate to think they pitch a game plan and view of the list only to have sufficient input into draft recruiting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    So the media has made him favourite and he hasn't even been in the country the last 3 weeks.
    Wish I knew a place that would give me a job while I'm on holidays.
    Drive a bus!
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

6. Likes Templeton31, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope we get this done soon, head coaches deserve a say in draft recruiting. I'd hate to think they pitch a game plan and view of the list only to have sufficient input into draft recruiting.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any budding senior coach with aspirations to coach us will have plenty of information at their disposal, probably more than we do to be fair.

We also have a list manager that will have done enough planning to get anyone coming into the role up to speed with what's available.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty certain they'd have a video type hookup .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any budding senior coach with aspirations to coach us will have plenty of information at their disposal, probably more than we do to be fair.

We also have a list manager that will have done enough planning to get anyone coming into the role up to speed with what's available.
    Not losing any sleep, but you can see Macca's influence in our list management. Presumably our team has been looking at the draft with Macca Goggles so it might have had an underlying presumption about players as players, and those players fitting into the list, the gameplan and future. If the new coach has a different perspective and gameplan the information from our team to them could be conceivably unwittingly inaccurate. It was the very significant criticism of St Kilda that they didn't give the new coach transition time in before the draft. I'm not meaning it a criticism or slight on anyone, but I think it prudent that the coach have as much possible time before draft to test underlying thinking of players against their thoughts and plans, since the club has picked another head coach.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not losing any sleep, but you can see Macca's influence in our list management. Presumably our team has been looking at the draft with Macca Goggles so it might have had an underlying presumption about players as players, and those players fitting into the list, the gameplan and future. If the new coach has a different perspective and gameplan the information from our team to them could be conceivably unwittingly inaccurate. It was the very significant criticism of St Kilda that they didn't give the new coach transition time in before the draft. I'm not meaning it a criticism or slight on anyone, but I think it prudent that the coach have as much possible time before draft to test underlying thinking of players against their thoughts and plans, since the club has picked another head coach.
    Conversely, you could say the list management and recruiting side of our club might benefit from not having McCartney influencing them coming into this drafting period.

List management from our perspective has to be one of the easiest games in the caper to play post the trade period. Our weaknesses are obvious, and our strengths are as well.

The brief should be to bring on as much running and skilled talent that can be found with the picks we have, and if we can get some tall defenders beyond Zaine we're in a good spot. The structural issues we have when it comes to defence have been well noted, but mitigated by the acquisition of Hamling, so it's not an issue for us to get strategic in that area - in light of having Roberts and Tahlia - until next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Conversely, you could say the list management and recruiting side of our club might benefit from not having McCartney influencing them coming into this drafting period.

List management from our perspective has to be one of the easiest games in the caper to play post the trade period. Our weaknesses are obvious, and our strengths are as well.

The brief should be to bring on as much running and skilled talent that can be found with the picks we have, and if we can get some tall defenders beyond Zaine we're in a good spot. The structural issues we have when it comes to defence have been well noted, but mitigated by the acquisition of Hamling, so it's not an issue for us to get strategic in that area - in light of having Roberts and Tahlia - until next year.
    I've been watching a few U.S. sports movies lately like Moneyball and Draft Day, and one thing that stood out was how little input the head coach has in selecting players. The manager does all the drafting, trading, list management, and basically builds the squad for the coach to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I've been watching a few U.S. sports movies lately like Moneyball and Draft Day, and one thing that stood out was how little input the head coach has in selecting players. The manager does all the drafting, trading, list management, and basically builds the squad for the coach to work with.
    Eade use to say pretty much the same thing. He did say he was given highlight tapes of draft picks they were looking at for his opinion. So he had some input, but pretty much left it to the recruiters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Eade use to say pretty much the same thing. He did say he was given highlight tapes of draft picks they were looking at for his opinion. So he had some input, but pretty much left it to the recruiters.
    I actually wonder how well Eade could have done with the recruiting and management structure we have in place at our club now, compared to the lean set up we had when he was in charge.

There's not doubt in my mind he would have benefited from a more rigid recruiting process as a coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's actually the wrong approach. AFL coaches need to be across drafts and trades as it directly shapes their future.
    At the end of the playing season it's time for the coach to switch into focusing on getting the trade period right and then working with the recruiting team to have a great understanding of how they rank the players. I know they can't micro manage it but they shouldn't distance themselves from it either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's actually the wrong approach. AFL coaches need to be across drafts and trades as it directly shapes their future.
    At the end of the playing season it's time for the coach to switch into focusing on getting the trade period right and then working with the recruiting team to have a great understanding of how they rank the players. I know they can't micro manage it but they shouldn't distance themselves from it either.
    Agreed. It's the wrong approach and is more about deflecting blame should the players selected not work out. It's no surprise that the recruiting during the Eade era being amongst the worst in the club's history. Our recruiting improved dramatically under McCartney, he had a lot of involvement in the selection of players, including going to the homes of up to 40 potential players to interview them and their families directlyand attending games.

We saw far fewer dud selections of players with poor attitudes like Grant, Everitt, O'Keefe, Boumann, Hill etc
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Agreed. It's the wrong approach and is more about deflecting blame should the players selected not work out. It's no surprise that the recruiting during the Eade era being amongst the worst in the club's history. Our recruiting improved dramatically under McCartney, he had a lot of involvement in the selection of players, including going to the homes of up to 40 potential players to interview them and their families directlyand attending games.

We saw far fewer dud selections of players with poor attitudes like Grant, Everitt, O'Keefe, Boumann, Hill etc
    Look at what Paul Roos did at the Swans and now at Melbourne. While he might not know all the names of the likely draft selections this year he goes to each trade period willing to listen to good offers which sets up the position his teams will be selecting from.

Coaches can't just sit back and take a back seat. As I said before, they can't micro manage the recruitment process but they can ask enough questions and shape the process.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really warming to the idea of Luke Beverage as our senior coach. At 44 years of age he is young enough to relate well with the younger players but mature enough to handle all the responsibilities of the role. He was a player with somewhat limited ability,but made the most of this at three clubs (including the Bulldogs) and he seems to be in the Malthouse, Sheedy, Clarkson, Hinkley mould. He has had success in the Amateurs with his own team, St Bedes Mentone (three premierships in three years) and was at Collingwood in 2010, when they were AFL premiers. His last two years have been at Hawthorn, under Clarkson, another role in a successful period for the Hawks. As a coach he has lived and breathed success and we need this type of influence at our club. He should be given free reign to choose his own coaching team, with the only proviso that Gia be kept on in a development role. Gia can be the immediate link to the players for Beveridge in this early days with the Dogs. Can't wait until he starts with us, assuming he wants the job and the Club is willing to look to a successful outsider and not in-house at the easy option.

19. Likes Go_Dogs, The Underdog liked this post