Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  34
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd v Going to the draft.

I have not seen Tom Boyd play one second of football.

He is tall and heavy - very similar height to Tom Campbell. Is he agile and suited the modern running game.

He has only played 9 games for eight goals.

Is he worth approx one million per year over five - six years

Is he the real deal or are we selling the farm, so to speak.

Another way to look at it, how does he compare to Paddy McCartin and or Peter Wright?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boyd v Going to the draft.

I doubt he'd go Number 1 if he wasn't suited. GWS will move heaven and earth to keep him.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how to compare him to McCartin he's certainly bigger. Tom is very agile and is first class on the lead or as a contested mark. Kicked 6 goals in just under 3 quarters for Metro last year. Draft watchers called him a once in a generation forward before he went number 1 last year. Touted as being better than Patton - he's the real deal.

4. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd welcome Boyd to the club, however he'll cost us. The alternative is a first round pick (maybe 4) to add to our existing pick 6. Pick 4 & 6 is pretty damn good! We got Bontempelli with pick 4 last year and Stringer and Macrae with 5 & 6 the year before. These are not mug picks!

Now that the Aints are involved, Boyd could cost Griffen + 6. For me, that's a point at which I'd lean towards walking away. If we were to get 4 & 6 as a fallback, we could nearly land McCartin or Wright with 4 and then another quality kid with 6.

Boyd is NOT the be-all and end-all..., but he'd be very very nice to have. Get him and we're looking more and more attractive for free agents in a year's time.

6. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His underage numbers were commanding. He's the real deal, complete package. He would easily be the best forward we've had since Grant. Arguably our biggest and best fish ever traded for.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Boyd is NOT the be-all and end-all..., but he'd be very very nice to have. Get him and we're looking more and more attractive for free agents in a year's time.
    That's the big one...

Let's say we do get Boyd.

We're still going to get a top 3 pick next year in all likelihood (as all our senior blokes either leave or drop off).

So we trade in another gun kid and snare another big fish, setting us up for a sustained tilt.

We simply have to make a big call right now and secure a genuine franchise forward. It will have untold flow on benefits and could absolutely be a history changing deal.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes 1eyedog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Personally, I'd welcome Boyd to the club, however he'll cost us. The alternative is a first round pick (maybe 4) to add to our existing pick 6. Pick 4 & 6 is pretty damn good! We got Bontempelli with pick 4 last year and Stringer and Macrae with 5 & 6 the year before. These are not mug picks!

Now that the Aints are involved, Boyd could cost Griffen + 6. For me, that's a point at which I'd lean towards walking away. If we were to get 4 & 6 as a fallback, we could nearly land McCartin or Wright with 4 and then another quality kid with 6.

I tend to agree.

Boyd would be great, but given how far off we are, two quality kids at 4 & 6 (and maybe 7?) would perhaps be a better strategy. We would still have some serious coin to throw at him next year, and consequently be better placed to deal with GWS. One of Wright/McCartin will be there at 4 too.

I'd love Boyd, but we can't afford to overpay just yet.
    W00F!

11. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the time to be cheap.

Boyd is a key forward from the area of the draft where star key forwards come from.

We of all clubs cannot afford to pass up the chance to recruit a potential star key forward. You only get an opportunity to pick up players like this very occasionally. And bizarrely the pece that is valuable enough to get him has already decided it's going to his club.

This years draft has two key forwards at the right end, and we have a pick at the right end, and yet we are only a slim chance to get one of them to fall to our pick. Next year is reportedly a midfielders draft. After that who knoes, but history hasn't been lucky so why should the future. This is our chance, I say we take it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus if we can somehow keep pick 6 we are set.

That means we get Boyd to hopefully solve our key forward issues and still have an awesome pick to get someone who really helps fill a need like Pickett or Durdin.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we've committed now and Boyd has showed his hand. We can't let him down and need to try our utmost to get him. He went number 1 by a fair stretch last year and given the hype is potentially worth 2 top 10 picks. He is that good.

We have not had a chance to get such a player EVER and we can't let this opportunity slip. We need him off-field at the moment as much as we need him on-field. We are desperate for some positive news and he will drive memberships single-handedly next year.

I don't care about Griffen now other than as a tool to get to job done. We need to leverage him sure but he is lost to me and I see him and pick 6 getting the job done. Many will say this is overs and maybe it is, but not by much. We may not get Boyd at all next year as a year is a long time to wait. He could be photographed in the tri-colours as early as next week.

Top 10 picks are massive but have failed in the past. Boyd eliminates so much risk of failure and for that reason I think we just need to pull the trigger and make it happen. He is a 12 year player where he is right now and the type of player you build a team around. He is the type of player we have always wanted but never been able to get and we have the opportunity to do it now.

17. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we forget about Tambling, Toumpas etc, etc.

Two picks can be brilliant. Two picks might not come off. A number one draft pick modern full forward gorilla gun is a bloody rare commodity. And he picked us. That's enough for me. You can build a team around him, if Jones stays he's more dangerous because of Boyd. Stew & Stringer get mid quality defenders. Grant, Dahl, Hunter get to lead and crumb as sources for goals. Those Hail Mary bombs in prelims have a great contested monster under them. You build a team around him. You build membership campaigns around him. You turn a around a club around him.

Two Macrae's is best case scenario with picks. One Boyd is still a million times better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Posted this on another thread just before but for what it's worth, I am in the not-at-all-costs camp on the Boyd issue.

Player #16 + pick 6 is too much for Boyd. I feel the same with #16 + 26 + 27. The impact for us with the number of players coming off the list (6 retired, delisted or traded so far) would mean that 3 players would have to be recruited through picks 45, 84 (64 committed to Zaine Cordy) and 100 with 118 being used for Jong's promotion. An alternative would be to go the delisted free agency path or the pre-season draft.

That's my concern and why I would prefer to go to the draft with 4, 6, 26, 27 & 45 free to be used, plus a former 1st round draft pick young KPF from GWS already in the kitty. This of course entails that we delist another 2 players - which I think we can do.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Top 10 picks are massive but have failed in the past. Boyd eliminates so much risk of failure and for that reason I think we just need to pull the trigger and make it happen. He is a 12 year player where he is right now and the type of player you build a team around. He is the type of player we have always wanted but never been able to get and we have the opportunity to do it now.
    No, he is a 7 year player based on the current Free Agency rules - age 26 in his prime....

22. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    No, he is a 7 year player based on the current Free Agency rules - age 26 in his prime....
    Glass half full. There is no reason he can't be retained beyond that. Even in your scenario it is 150 games plus finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Posted this on another thread just before but for what it's worth, I am in the not-at-all-costs camp on the Boyd issue.

Player #16 + pick 6 is too much for Boyd. I feel the same with #16 + 26 + 27. The impact for us with the number of players coming off the list (6 retired, delisted or traded so far) would mean that 3 players would have to be recruited through picks 45, 84 (64 committed to Zaine Cordy) and 100 with 118 being used for Jong's promotion. An alternative would be to go the delisted free agency path or the pre-season draft.

That's my concern and why I would prefer to go to the draft with 4, 6, 26, 27 & 45 free to be used, plus a former 1st round draft pick young KPF from GWS already in the kitty. This of course entails that we delist another 2 players - which I think we can do.
    We'll do ok but we took Grant at 5 remember. It doesn't always work.