Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  275
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: BOYD a DOG

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOYD a DOG

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I would almost bet my house on it being mentioned at every single one of our games.

The WB v North game was on yesterday IIRC (or the day before?) and they spoke about the same thing.
    Problem is we got the wrong one. We shouldn't have got the best young KP forward prospect in years, we should have thrown pick 6 at Mitch Brown and our Higgins compo for Nathan Vardy. That way we'd have bought in bulk and saved, saved, saved!!!!

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was reading about Kobe Bryant recently. The LA Lakers signed him to a 6 year multi-million dollar contract as an 18 year old back in 2006... He'd only played off the bench to that point. The Lakers also traded out a world class 28 year old to do so...

They assessed the risk/reward, I guess...!

FWIW, Bryant was an all-star within 2 years (his first of 16) and has won 5 championships with the Lakers. He goes into his nineteenth season in a few weeks..

I recall many scribes being very critical of the Lakers at the time of his signing. They hated the largesse being afforded to a kid. They hated the fact that he hadn't "done his apprenticeship." However, real basketball people saw prodigious talent and the Lakers, having hit a relatively low ebb, found that the timing was right for them to have a crack.

The result was many, many journalists eating their words... I look forward to Boyd stuffing the words down Robbo & co's throats over the next seven years!

4. Likes azabob, Murphy'sLore, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I would almost bet my house on it being mentioned at every single one of our games.

Since 2007. Apart from occasionally in 2010-2011.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    The Mountain. (Apologies to G.R.R.M)
    Done. Now let's start calling Griffen The Viper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I was reading about Kobe Bryant recently. The LA Lakers signed him to a 6 year multi-million dollar contract as an 18 year old back in 2006... He'd only played off the bench to that point. The Lakers also traded out a world class 28 year old to do so...

They assessed the risk/reward, I guess...!

FWIW, Bryant was an all-star within 2 years (his first of 16) and has won 5 championships with the Lakers. He goes into his nineteenth season in a few weeks..

I recall many scribes being very critical of the Lakers at the time of his signing. They hated the largesse being afforded to a kid. They hated the fact that he hadn't "done his apprenticeship." However, real basketball people saw prodigious talent and the Lakers, having hit a relatively low ebb, found that the timing was right for them to have a crack.

The result was many, many journalists eating their words... I look forward to Boyd stuffing the words down Robbo & co's throats over the next seven years!

That...didn't happen.

Kobe was about 28 and already had 3 rings, multiple all star & all NBA team appearances, and most other accolades by 2006. His rights got traded to Charlotte for Vlade Divac when he was drafted, but he was hardly on a multi million dollar deal when that happened.

Your philosophy is still sound, however.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd will wear #17 next year http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...er-up-for-boyd.

#17 was his junior number and also his twitter handle number, which makes things easier. https://twitter.com/Tom_Boyd17

10. Thanks N/A, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Boyd will wear #17 next year http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...er-up-for-boyd.

#17 was his junior number and also his twitter handle number, which makes things easier. https://twitter.com/Tom_Boyd17
    Parents will be happy their kids get to stick with 17.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    and all the kids who followed Higgins can just get a one to stick on their back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's no good from the club selling merchandise point of view though.

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Opportunity missed on the merch front! Silly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    Opportunity missed on the merch front! Silly!
    Maybe the kids will want the new logo on their new jumpers.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe the kids will want the new logo on their new jumpers.
    Good point, let's hope! Just keep remembering hearing about how much Carlton made off Judd and the Swans from Big Bud!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and all the kids who followed Higgins can just get a one to stick on their back.
    Both of them?
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, let's hope! Just keep remembering hearing about how much Carlton made off Judd and the Swans from Big Bud!
    Also if Boyd becomes the player we hope, he'll attract a lot of new young supporters to the club. Nothing captures kids attention like a dominant goal kicking key forward.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

TBF though, I wonder how many 17's have been sold in the last couple of years since we ditched robodog. Cooney has been pretty underwhelming for a while now and I imagine the new jumpers have mostly been Dahlhaus, Macrae, Murphy and Liberatore based. I think this will actually get a lot of people to upgrade to the new jumper with the 17 on the back.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

21. Likes N/A liked this post