Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  275
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: BOYD a DOG

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOYD a DOG

Wow unbelievable. Was hoping like hell it would happen but never thought it actually would. What a coup. What an unbelievable coup. Pinch me if I am dreaming.

So last years draft we netted picks 1 and 4. WOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Wow unbelievable. Was hoping like hell it would happen but never thought it actually would. What a coup. What an unbelievable coup. Pinch me if I am dreaming.

So last years draft we netted picks 1 and 4. WOW.
    Great way to put ... I love your thinking; but on the flip side our first live pick is mid twenties now.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

This is great news.
    As we all know big forwards don't grow on trees and are very hard to come by. Some may think we payed overs but l am sure we will look back on this moment in time as a coup by the Dogs that set the team up for a serious premiership tilt in the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

St Kilda might end up with picks 4, 6 & 7 here.
    I'd swap pick 1 for that.

On the same note, we basically gave up picks 4 & 6 & perhaps another decent player or pick 7 for Boyd....
    He'd want to be performing by 2016!

Of course, I wish him all the best and hope the club doesn't turn him into a Jack Watts by expecting too much too soon. I'm pleased, but can't help thinking the ultimate nirvana would've been to leave the offer on the table, take the picks for Griffen and then grab him next year. I couldn't see anyone else matching our offer or our young list... Risky as some think it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Factor in what it will do for memberships. Anyone at the club will tell you, these big men are by far the most popular among kids. Barry Hall was a huge draw-card for us.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The kid has more mental toughness in his little finger than Jack Watts and add melbournes terrible development compared to us it isn't possible to get a Jack Watts.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

If the value for pick one this year is something like pick 4 and pick 6 and we accept that Griffin is probably worth an early 1st round pick with something thrown in, then Boyd (pick one) for Griff and 6 is about par. Paying Griffins salary and missing out on a pick in the teens or 20s tips it in GWS' favour but then if Boyd is supposedly a standout 1 pick, once in a generation player it begins to even out again.

I initially though it was a fair ways over but I'm feeling pretty good about it now. Especially considering some of that money given to GWS will be partly recouped by the memberships/merchandise that Boyd and renewed hope bring back

8. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity, any one been over to the Giants board on BF, is it ok to go and throw a few stones

10. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Factor in what it will do for memberships. Anyone at the club will tell you, these big men are by far the most popular among kids. Barry Hall was a huge draw-card for us.
    There are three key things that make this an absolutely exceptional trade.

1. You have highlighted his marketing ability. The fact that he will draw members to the club. Increase our bottom line. Make our club a profitable entity moving forward;

2. The ability to attract other players to our club. Suddenly we are a club that players will want to go to - maybe too late for this year but certainly next year and thereafter. With Boyd, Stringer, Macrae, Bonts, Dahl, Hunter, Honeychurch etc etc we are suddenly a place of the future

3. Tom Boyd the footballer. We haven't had a young KPF since Chris Grant. This is a once in a generation footballer. This kid has it all and with half a dozen options up forward we are going to be hard to defend. This may not be next year but by 2016 heading into 2017 we will be the best attacking team in the league.

12. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    St Kilda might end up with picks 4, 6 & 7 here.
    I'd swap pick 1 for that.

On the same note, we basically gave up picks 4 & 6 & perhaps another decent player or pick 7 for Boyd....
    He'd want to be performing by 2016!

Of course, I wish him all the best and hope the club doesn't turn him into a Jack Watts by expecting too much too soon. I'm pleased, but can't help thinking the ultimate nirvana would've been to leave the offer on the table, take the picks for Griffen and then grab him next year. I couldn't see anyone else matching our offer or our young list... Risky as some think it was.

Absolutely risky, but we've thrown a Hail Mary from one end to the other, and the star player just has to hang on to it!

Supposedly we were gonna trade pick 7 and "someone" in a desperate attempt to get an early pick, to secure a key forward. So basically now we traded 7 and Griffen for a better option than what we could have got. Makes sense to me.

If we did nothing our humble club would continue to bounce along nowhere. Memberships and sponsorships would be down. There was an article in the Financial Review a month ago talking about the Buddy Factor. Their Corporate Sponsorship is at an all time high, their average attendance per home match is up 10,000, and they are the highest rating team on Fox Footy. In terms of $$$ they are well ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

We have only really traded one similar player of his age in the history of our club. Some kid from Daylesford, what was his name again?

I would love to see Bazza come back to the club as a forward coach and help Tom reach his potential.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevw9 View Post
    I got in trouble from the misses over the past few days for constantly checking twitter, WOOF, instagram, Facebook, the other BF place, even in the early hours of the morning.
    Know what you mean. I'm on the other side of the world and my partner cracked it because I was waking up several times a night to check the AFL website and message boards. I said, "This is trade period. You just don't understand how big that is."
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    We have only really traded one similar player of his age in the history of our club. Some kid from Daylesford, what was his name again?

I would love to see Bazza come back to the club as a forward coach and help Tom reach his potential.
    Chris Grant a True Bulldog.
    How many games did he play again?

[IMG] picture sharing[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Amid the high-fiving, I can only wonder what Brendan feels right now, listening to the news on radio or watching it on TV.
    He did his job and developed our kids so that blue chip players, like Tom Boyd, want to be here.
    Part of Tom moving to us is the hard work and passion he gave to the club.

I honestly think we could have turned it around with Brendan. He and the club made a decision, a true decision, but that's not to say he couldn't have made it work. If he were to have stayed, that may have also been a way forward, and we could have ended up with Tom anyway.

Still, he played his part in helping Tom get to us in the way its happened. He lifted the professionalism of the organization.

Mate, I am truly sorry the way it unfolded for you as a person. Wish you all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrade Redpath, then play T. Boyd, Redpath and Campbell forward.
    Monster Forward Line....!!!!