Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason McCartney

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jason McCartney

He has definitely squeezed the most out of every encounter at the trade table but his work has only just begun.

With the massive long term deal for Boys and some exceptional young talent coming through managing our salary cap will be a monumental task.

I'm looking forward to how he handles it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I thought the area where we may miss Scott Clayton in was his work at the trade table where he was regarded a real dead-eye as well but J-Mac has been absolutely top line since joining. So much credit must go to J-Mac and the team who appointed him, we really haven't missed a beat come trade time the last few years.
    To be honest l thought Clayton's draft picks had been pretty average from about mid 2000's.
    l think Gold Coast saved us by taking him off our hands.
    Clayton had been living off the glory of his first few drafts.

Post Thanks / Like

On SEN this morning asked about Jones, Cooney and Tutt and he said they have requested a trade so we will see what happens today.

I expect them all gone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    He has definitely squeezed the most out of every encounter at the trade table but his work has only just begun.

With the massive long term deal for Boys and some exceptional young talent coming through managing our salary cap will be a monumental task.

I'm looking forward to how he handles it.
    With us offering to pay "his" (you know whose) contract next year, it's fairly obvious we're struggling to pay the minimum. They'd be idiots to make this kind of offer without factoring in the necessity of keeping Stringer, Bontempelli, etc. in years to come, we also get to pay 105% if we only pay 95% the year before? I think we need to be realistic: we absolutely will lose a player here and there, but as long as the list management is done with a view to the future and medium-long term plans (which Boyd is a great example of) then we're in good hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    To be honest l thought Clayton's draft picks had been pretty average from about mid 2000's.
    l think Gold Coast saved us by taking him off our hands.
    Clayton had been living off the glory of his first few drafts.
    Agree with you in terms of drafting but I was talking purely about his work at the trade table

Post Thanks / Like

Jason is out of contract this year - need to make sure we sign him up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite funny isn't it , he is out promoting staying at the club using all the spin doctoring possible to say how good the club is, meanwhile he hasn't re signed.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

This is worrying, need to sign him up quick! The Suns will be sniffing around i'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit of a left field one - Scott Clayton might be out of a job at the end of the season. As a recruiter he was a nightmare but as a list manager, and especially a player contract negotiator, he has few peers - we barely lost anybody of note in 11 years when he was at the helm. I really like McCartney and would prefer that we kept him, but if he was fielding other offers we could do far worse than keep in contact with Clayton.

Fantasia anyone
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bit of a left field one - Scott Clayton might be out of a job at the end of the season. As a recruiter he was a nightmare but as a list manager, and especially a player contract negotiator, he has few peers. I really like McCartney and would prefer that we kept him, but if he was fielding other offers we could do far worse than keep in contact with Clayton.
    Only if he says sorry and swims to Williamstown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Quite funny isn't it , he is out promoting staying at the club using all the spin doctoring possible to say how good the club is, meanwhile he hasn't re signed.
    The assumption here is that the club have put a contract in front of him...

.... perhaps it's the club who are holding it up..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Bit of a left field one - Scott Clayton might be out of a job at the end of the season. As a recruiter he was a nightmare but as a list manager, and especially a player contract negotiator, he has few peers - we barely lost anybody of note in 11 years when he was at the helm. I really like McCartney and would prefer that we kept him, but if he was fielding other offers we could do far worse than keep in contact with Clayton.

Fantasia anyone
    I think the whole notion of Clayton being a good negotiator/list manager is at best wishful thinking or at least this theory needs to be tested. The AFL landscape has changed with regards to contracts and player movements and I hope we don't move in his direction if J-Mac moves on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    The assumption here is that the club have put a contract in front of him...

.... perhaps it's the club who are holding it up..
    Could be I just find it ironic a person has to sell a club to players but hasn't been sold on it himself.
    We could be looking elsewhere or he could be .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He would have incentives and possibly trigger clauses surrounding his ability to re-sign talent, turn the list over and attain talent tied to his contract. Perhaps he or the club - or both - want to see how this post season pans out prior to acting on his status.

He might have a big money offer from another club in front of him, that he's made the club aware of, which the club can't afford to match.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton is a dud
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket