Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideas for Rookie List replenishment?

It seems some thinking on the Rookie List is to have cover for senior players who suffer LTI.

I understand that process and a few clubs have employed that, although the only really successful use was Pods at Geelong.

Our success with the rookies has been to bring in additional talent that can develop into best 22 like we have done with Morris, Boyd, Dahlhaus and JJ.

If we go down the path of Young, Russell etc we are missing the chance to unearth real talent.

If we consider Russell to be worth a spot, I would prefer the main list so he can play if needed and not because someone is going to miss at least 8 weeks.

Downgrading a senior player that has had opportunity would seem a fruitless excercise, unless the main list player had problems with injury that had seriously restricted opportunity. From our current list, I would see Pearce and Fuller as maybe meeting that criteria.

I would certainly not support a rookie spot for Tom Young.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Likes soupman, N/A, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It seems some thinking on the Rookie List is to have cover for senior players who suffer LTI.

I understand that process and a few clubs have employed that, although the only really successful use was Pods at Geelong.

Our success with the rookies has been to bring in additional talent that can develop into best 22 like we have done with Morris, Boyd, Dahlhaus and JJ.

If we go down the path of Young, Russell etc we are missing the chance to unearth real talent.

If we consider Russell to be worth a spot, I would prefer the main list so he can play if needed and not because someone is going to miss at least 8 weeks.

Downgrading a senior player that has had opportunity would seem a fruitless excercise, unless the main list player had problems with injury that had seriously restricted opportunity. From our current list, I would see Pearce and Fuller as maybe meeting that criteria.

I would certainly not support a rookie spot for Tom Young.
    There are 6 rookies and I think I'd like to see 2 of them capable of being promoted in case of injuries ie already with some senior experience. I certainly don't think selecting 2 guys with some experience inhibits the development of the younger players in the slightest.
    To your point about how the rookie list has provided us with some very good players, well I think 4 of them on the younger side covers that or our recruiting team isn't really doing the job.

I get your point about Russell but equally if Austin isn't promoted to the senior list I'd really like to see someone like Luke Thompson as a rookie in case we lose a a tall defender to a LTI.

We still have a few days to go to finalise the list so maybe a Pearce or Fuller might still be offered a spot like that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Was Thompson the player that came in for Davis and Bock and looked alright?
    Did he have shoulder issues as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are 6 rookies
    I would be surprised if we had 6 rookies, that would mean either we go 2 short on the primary list or sign some category B rookies (or a combination of the 2).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would be surprised if we had 6 rookies, that would mean either we go 2 short on the primary list or sign some category B rookies (or a combination of the 2).
    Good point.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Good arguments for both sides, I was convinced by GVG that we already had enough young players on the main list for our coaches to worry about, then did a 180 when reading Bulldog Joe's post about our past rookie list successes.

Anyone that we may need to use in 2015 is probably best on the main list in place of Pearce, Austin, Redpath or Fuller, with the rookie list for project players that we need to put some time into before they are ready for AFL.

We really bolstered our coaching staff last year so hopefully they can manage
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    I have heard a little rumour we may rookie Tom Young.
    What do people think about that?
    I wouldn't mind this.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

If Tom Young is to be rookied I would hope they find a new role for him. He cannot defend to save his life.

10. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Was Thompson the player that came in for Davis and Bock and looked alright?
    Did he have shoulder issues as well?
    I would think Luke Thompson is a fair chance to be picked up as a DFA.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickenitup View Post
    I have heard a little rumour we may rookie Tom Young.
    What do people think about that?
    He's proven he's not up to it so why bother. Give someone else a chance.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'd be very surprised if we had 6 rookies due to the Tom Boyd factor. I'm sure we'll be looking to trim the fat on our player wages bill so I suspect this will be where we start. That's how we usually roll.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I get your point about Russell but equally if Austin isn't promoted to the senior list I'd really like to see someone like Luke Thompson as a rookie in case we lose a a tall defender to a LTI.

We still have a few days to go to finalise the list so maybe a Pearce or Fuller might still be offered a spot like that.
    I'm not keen on Luke Thompson as an option. Although he has the height on paper, he hasn't progressed in his four years at the Crows, when given the opportunity he too often looks lost with ball in flight, not hard enough at the contest, appears to lack a fierce competitive spirit and even though he has the height he seems to play more as a mid size defender than as a legitimate back up option for a KPP LTI.

I'd be more inclined to go the Rusell path than consider the Thompson option although like others I'm not sold on this one either. Although I appreciate what he has brought to our VFL side, particularly his leadership and composure, I feel the gear up in pace and size would find Jordan out at the higher level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    He's proven he's not up to it so why bother. Give someone else a chance.
    This. He has a crack but I agree with comments Macca made that his decision making would be (and was) his undoing. Saw everything I needed to see in the VFL Grannie. Tried hard; terrible instincts...

Would rather rookie Howard #notkidding

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't mind offering Cameron Conlon or Darcy Hourigan a slot. Both undrafted from 2013: 1 with injuries, 1 with a big fat bum. Both have some talent worth the punt of offering a rookie slot to in my eyes. The other one is Jesse Watchman from SA. Highly rated underager, had some issues this year as well and won't get drafted but a rookie slot would be worth the punt. Has talent and that doesn't just vanish. He's from SA though (as is Hourigan who I haven't seen anything of this year so may still have the big behind) so whether they would move and settle on a rookie wage is always a question. All of the above can play tall forward which despite Boyd we clearly still have a massive lack of depth in if Stringer and Crameri are ever going to get unleashed upfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Russell has the same issues at the higher level.
    He just isn't hard enough at the higher level.