Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ideas for Rookie List replenishment?

I would closely look at Australian Under 18 cricket captain Patrick McKenna.

Playing for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League he bagged Nine goals in a game of Senior footy. Read the play as good as anyone when playing off the half back flank. Kicked 45 goals in the Seniors and made the Bendigo Footy League Team of the Year.
    He kicked 16 goals in a game of school footy for Salesian College, and 16 goals in a game for Gisborne Under 18s. All this off a limited pre season due to cricket commitments.

The kid can play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post

Playing for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League he bagged Nine goals in a game of Senior footy. Read the play as good as anyone when playing off the half back flank. Kicked 45 goals in the Seniors and made the Bendigo Footy League Team of the Year.
    He kicked 16 goals in a game of school footy for Salesian College, and 16 goals in a game for Gisborne Under 18s. All this off a limited pre season due to cricket commitments.

The kid can play.
    Have you emailed the club about him?

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No I havent

There is vision of every Gisborne game on the Bendigo League web site.......
    The nine goal game was the home game v Kangaroo Flat.

Post Thanks / Like

The kid can play.
    He's got a bit of attention now. Big chance to be drafted
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's got a bit of attention now. Big chance to be drafted
    tell us more!
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    tell us more!
    He's expected to be a rookie listed. There are supposed to be a couple of club interested.

Post Thanks / Like

The kid can play.
    The cat's out of the bag on this kid now:

Runs on the board: gun cricketer nominates for the draft

HE CAPTAINED the under-19 Australian cricket team, bats left-handed in the top order and makes plenty of runs.

But after playing a season of local level football, Gisborne's Pat McKenna has nominated for the NAB AFL Draft and is on the radar of a handful of clubs.

Only in September did the 18-year-old lead his country on a cricket tour to Sri Lanka, but it was there that McKenna decided he wanted to pursue a football career.

That was after an impressive season for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League, where he kicked 45 goals for the senior side in 18 games.

McKenna isn't especially quick, but at 186cm and 76kg has played a number of different roles through the season, where his game sense, overhead marking and foot skills impressed.

Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Fremantle are believed to be among the clubs who have enquired about McKenna, potentially as a late pick at next week's draft or at next month's rookie draft.

If he isn't picked by a club he will play in the TAC Cup next year with the Calder Cannons as a 19-year-old, where he has already started training as part of its pre-season program.

Having recently finished his year 12 studies at Salesian College, McKenna is now concentrating on his fitness and footy with the Cannons.

"His ability to mark the ball and kick goals is really strong," said Ian Kyte, the Cannons' talent manager.

"His conditioning is in a pretty good position. He did pre-season with us last year before pulling the pin for cricket, but he's certainly presented really well."

Recruits from local level are rare from Victoria if the players have not featured in the TAC Cup competition.

Last year Melbourne picked Jayden Hunt with selection No.57, having watched him play school football for Brighton Grammar.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should have a look at Shannon Taylor from Frankston.

I'd like to see us go for a ruckman, and a small forward who can crumb if we don't get them in the ND.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Kol from the Falcons. I've liked him this year, he's slight mid/flanker so a rookie spot would be good to take him as a project.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The cat's out of the bag on this kid now:

Runs on the board: gun cricketer nominates for the draft

HE CAPTAINED the under-19 Australian cricket team, bats left-handed in the top order and makes plenty of runs.

But after playing a season of local level football, Gisborne's Pat McKenna has nominated for the NAB AFL Draft and is on the radar of a handful of clubs.

Only in September did the 18-year-old lead his country on a cricket tour to Sri Lanka, but it was there that McKenna decided he wanted to pursue a football career.

That was after an impressive season for Gisborne in the Bendigo Football League, where he kicked 45 goals for the senior side in 18 games.

McKenna isn't especially quick, but at 186cm and 76kg has played a number of different roles through the season, where his game sense, overhead marking and foot skills impressed.

Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Fremantle are believed to be among the clubs who have enquired about McKenna, potentially as a late pick at next week's draft or at next month's rookie draft.

If he isn't picked by a club he will play in the TAC Cup next year with the Calder Cannons as a 19-year-old, where he has already started training as part of its pre-season program.

Having recently finished his year 12 studies at Salesian College, McKenna is now concentrating on his fitness and footy with the Cannons.

"His ability to mark the ball and kick goals is really strong," said Ian Kyte, the Cannons' talent manager.

"His conditioning is in a pretty good position. He did pre-season with us last year before pulling the pin for cricket, but he's certainly presented really well."

Recruits from local level are rare from Victoria if the players have not featured in the TAC Cup competition.

Last year Melbourne picked Jayden Hunt with selection No.57, having watched him play school football for Brighton Grammar.

He sounds a bit like Jim Edmond.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He sounds a bit like Jim Edmond.
    Gisborne was a bit of a retirement village for ex-Bulldogs. I know Jim Edmond and Mocha Dunstan used to live there, still might.

Post Thanks / Like

4 rookie list spots opens up a few options. Pearce has a commitment so that most likely leaves us with 3 spots.
    I'd certainly look to add Will Hayes from the VFL as his running ability would be a bonus for us.

Jayden Foster would have to be a strong consideration and I'd be keen to have a look at Brett Turner a defender/midfielder from SA who has good pace.

I see the sense in looking at a ruckman and there could still be a few available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    4 rookie list spots opens up a few options. Pearce has a commitment so that most likely leaves us with 3 spots.
    I'd certainly look to add Will Hayes from the VFL as his running ability would be a bonus for us.

Jayden Foster would have to be a strong consideration and I'd be keen to have a look at Brett Turner a defender/midfielder from SA who has good pace.

I see the sense in looking at a ruckman and there could still be a few available.
    Hasnt Greenwood been offered a spot again?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The chance to train for a spot but hasn't been guaranteed a spot I think.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is a likely addition but as Twodogs said it's not a done deal