Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd Deal Could Put The Squeeze on Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Sydney have 2 players on 1m each. They seem to manage. Salary cap is only going 1 way too.
    But they have COLA don't they.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    But they have COLA don't they.
    They do, you are right Eastie. But the cola is $900,000. So if the cola money paid for Buddy, then Sydney still have one X million dollar player. Now, so do we. Same, same.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I've said before that the Tom Boyd deal was massive for our club but I'm still thinking are we paying him far too much for a player that isn't proven yet. Does it make sense? Libba would be worthy of a $1 million right now too but gets half of what Boyd is being paid. What do you reckon? Could he be willing to take a reasonable paycut.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I've said before that the Tom Boyd deal was massive for our club but I'm still thinking are we paying him far too much for a player that isn't proven yet. Does it make sense? Libba would be worthy of a $1 million right now too but gets half of what Boyd is being paid. What do you reckon? Could he be willing to take a reasonable paycut.
    No to a pay cut. The question is when KPP's prove themselves, how many of them leave their clubs for money?

Carey, Brown, Riewoldt, Cloke...

As for Buddy it was over a million dollars for 9 years. How did you rate Buddy's years at the Hawks? Was he worth the money during their 3 grand finals and 2 flags?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No to a pay cut. The question is when KPP's prove themselves, how many of them leave their clubs for money?

Carey, Brown, Riewoldt, Cloke...

As for Buddy it was over a million dollars for 9 years. How did you rate Buddy's years at the Hawks? Was he worth the money during their 3 grand finals and 2 flags?
    I take your point on board BT. What if we didn't offer Tom Boyd $1million could he have still agreed to come to us.

Post Thanks / Like

I take your point on board BT. What if we didn't offer Tom Boyd $1million could he have still agreed to come to us.
    No. Boyd has taken a very big step moving from GWS in his first year and he wouldn't have done it if we didn't lay down the cash.

If we had have let it go to the end of next season we would have been just one of a number of clubs all offering roughly the same amount - about $1m per season (providing Boyd didn't get injured etc.).

It was the right deal and entirely reflective of what it will cost to complete these transactions for clubs down the bottom of the ladder.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Carlton, and St Kilda in particular went very hard at Boyd. By all accounts St Kilda offered the same money & years, but with an equal offer he picked us. If you want to buy a Ferrari you need to pay for it. This is the biggest trade to us in our history, ever. That's not a line but a fact. Get happy Eastie, the whole AFL wanted him, but we landed him. The salary cap increases every year, so others will have more money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No. Carlton, and St Kilda in particular went very hard at Boyd. By all accounts St Kilda offered the same money & years, but with an equal offer he picked us. If you want to buy a Ferrari you need to pay for it. This is the biggest trade to us in our history, ever. That's not a line but a fact. Get happy Eastie, the whole AFL wanted him, but we landed him. The salary cap increases every year, so others will have more money.
    I'm very happy BT but you watch the media will be in his back now if he doesn't perform but what Tom needs is a good mentor and focus on what his doing with us.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very happy BT but you watch the media will be in his back now if he doesn't perform but what Tom needs is a good mentor and focus on what his doing with us.
    Good luck to them. What if he does perform? You can't let fear of other people's opinion, all be it printed ones, detract from things. Brad Ottens was talked about as an over paid trade too. I can recall that gossip, but I remember the premierships he was integral too. He's a smart kid and has the talent to work towards Full Forward in the 2000-2100 Team of the Century. He's just that talented. Let history write itself and the media will do whatever.

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep an open mind I think it goes both ways. I think it could either be great or not so great but I'm hopeful for now and banking on the fact that as the number 1 draft pick he'll be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Dammed if you do or dammed if you don't, facts are we have been screaming out for a young key forward we can build around for over a decade.
    Are we paying overs ? Well and truly, but IMO Tom would be on the Blues list if we waited until next season and he would not have come across if this season if we didn't offer such a massive deal.
    Well done to the club and all concerned, you finally listened and got the big bloke we require to compete with the franchise teams and as mentioned in numerous articles we didn't just do it on a whim, we did our homework and had him in our sites all along.
    Two seasons back we were all concerned about our window being during the same period as GWS and GC, now it may well still be but with our last couple of years in the draft and this seasons coupe, with the crop of quality kids on our list I am more than confident we have gone a long way to match them.
    Last edited by KT31; 26-10-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

14. Likes azabob, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think this way too guys. He has already ‘broken’ a contract. We don't want to be tightwads with him and have him break another when Carlton pony up the dough. They're a club with a long, ‘proud’ history of ponying up the dough.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it quite pathetic - that the exact same people in the media who would regularly state that the Dogs needed to make a big move and go hard at a key forward, are now critical of us for paying 'overs' for an 'unproven talent'.

Wearing some criticism from both media and fans for the immediate period is a small price to pay, for what the end result should be. And those criticising the deal now (ie. media and short-sighted fans) are the ones that just kick with the breeze anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

The latest epithet was 'disgusting' in the Sunday Age yesterday. It's getting quite tiresome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    The latest epithet was 'disgusting' in the Sunday Age yesterday. It's getting quite tiresome.
    Yep just a rolling list of inacuracies, waffle, and speculation, all tied into a strained attempt at a heart wrenching narrative.

Every hack that writes the next edition of why this deal has ruined the world builds on the size of the contract, I'm assuming to one up the previous hack, but in this addition it's now up to $7mil for 6 years. Originally it was being reported as $6mil for 6 years, then it grew to $7mil for 7 years, now it's grown again to $7mil over 6 years. By the time Garry Lyon jumps on the bandwagon it'll be $15mil over 4 years.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships