Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It's time to step up

We lost a lot of experience and a couple of excellent players so obviously we need a few of our boys to step up in 2015.

2 Players spring to mind for me.

Koby Stevens - A low cost recruit for the Bulldogs after 2 seasons at West Coast. With the departures of Griffen and Cooney and now with 50 senior games under his belt, Stevens needs to become a genuine senior player and leader around the club.
    Despite some deficiencies with his skills I think Stevens is well placed to have a good season in 2015. His pace

Jason Johannisen - His journey to the club is an interesting one and his promotion from the rookie list speaks volumes for how much he has improved since his arrival. Johannisen is an efficient user of the ball but his main strength is the pace he provides us out of back line. I think JJ is going to be one of the real improvers in 2015 and we need him to be one of the guys that reaches another level.

Who do you think might step up for us next season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's time to set up

Hrovat - Played like he belonged in the AFL when he got back into the team in 2014. A classic in-everything rover, agile, nippy great vision, top shelf disposal skills. The gutting of our senior midfield means the opportunities are there for him in 2015, he just needs to take them.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

3. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael Talia - to put it bluntly, last season was a big disappointment .
    The MC and the coach clearly saw defiencies that needed to be ironed out, and it is vital he steps up
    Fletcher Roberts - Unlucky with injury and looked composed when he came into the side , and as with Talia he should be playing more often next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's time to step up

Tom Boyd

6. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stew Crameri & Jarrad Grant - Boyd, Roughie & Stringer will all take good defenders, you have licence to smash bottom rung defenders.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

BT with all due respect Grant first has to get in the team. Surely Crameri will get the first if not second best defender?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BT with all due respect Grant first has to get in the team. Surely Crameri will get the first if not second best defender?
    No need for respect. It's a contract year, so Grant will be playing good footy. Bank on it. He's still a favourite of mine though. If Roughie & Boyd are in, I think they get the two bigger defenders. I think Stringer and Crameri raffle the 3rd defender, I think Stringer gets them if he stays closer if Stew plays lead up type roles. You can substitute the nomination to be Jake & Grant. Playing on 4th and 5th defenders they have the talent to be a nightmare for oppositions. It's no criticism on anyone, it's about stepping up and having lesser defenders as opponents is a reason why we need them to step up.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

3/4 of the team, but some notables:

Lin Jong - we need him to take his midfield explosiveness from the VFL finals series and show it at AFL level. Griffen & Cooney are gone and we are in danger of being a midfield of slow plodders that struggle to clear the ball from the contest

Tom Liberatore - needs to learn to deal with a tag

Mitch Wallis - needs to become a staple of the midfield and not a fringe player or tagger

Jordan Roughead - needs to shut down the best forward each week
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Michael Talia - to put it bluntly, last season was a big disappointment .
    The MC and the coach clearly saw defiencies that needed to be ironed out, and it is vital he steps up
    Fletcher Roberts - Unlucky with injury and looked composed when he came into the side , and as with Talia he should be playing more often next season.
    If you're right with these two, we will improve immeasurably next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread GVGjr

Ive been watching a few replays of the season and we have so many who you'd expect growth and progression from

Easton Wood is one who I view as being very close to playing consistently good football

So many of the younger players we'd be hoping for a jump from also

Mitch Wallis is one who we will need to, but there will also be nowhere to hide, he's got to get the balance between offence and defence rich, must win more of his own ball and use it more constructively

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Ive been watching a few replays of the season and we have so many who you'd expect growth and progression from

Easton Wood is one who I view as being very close to playing consistently good football

Mitch Wallis is one who we will need to, but there will also be nowhere to hide, he's got to get the balance between offence and defence rich, must win more of his own ball and use it more constructively
    I nearly nominated Easton Wood myself. I never really thought he was going to have a good AFL career but after his performances in 2014 I think he can achieve further improvement next season. Like Stevens, he now has to step us as a leader.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Great thread GVGjr

I thought Mitch had come of age and was doing everything right until the foot injury destroyed the rest of his season
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I thought Mitch had come of age and was doing everything right until the foot injury destroyed the rest of his season
    He got dropped for 5 games after the Carlton game so I don't think it was just the injury that wrecked his season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I nearly nominated Easton Wood myself. I never really thought he was going to have a good AFL career but after his performances in 2014 I think he can achieve further improvement next season. Like Stevens, he now has to step us as a leader.
    He had such an interrupted run that it was hard to know with Easton - but he had some really terrific games in 2014 where he figured out how to use his athleticism and strength to real advantage - was very good when I look back.

Im less bullish on Stevens - I love his effort, and preparedness to work but his decision making, ability to get hands free when tackled, and mistakes like kicking into the man on the mark let him down. Maybe Gia will be the perfect coach for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He got dropped for 5 games after the Carlton game so I don't think it was just the injury that wrecked his season.
    He was ultra defensive early and not doing enough constructive with the ball. Theres little room for a pure defensive centre square player in modern footy. They have to be able to win it and create a little.