Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's time to step up

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Im less bullish on Stevens - I love his effort, and preparedness to work but his decision making, ability to get hands free when tackled, and mistakes like kicking into the man on the mark let him down. Maybe Gia will be the perfect coach for him.
    I think Stevens is harshly rated on here with an emphasis on his faults in his first one and a half seasons.

I thought the second half of this season he showed that he was and could work on his deficiencies, and I think we saw a considerable drop in hospital handballs, either through execution or just to the wrong option, better awareness and more care taken with his skills. I think if he can continue to improve he will really establish himself as a key linkman up and down the wings. He works his arse off, is a good mark and runs to the right spots.

The one we need to stand up is Roughead. He is already an established member of our side, a recognised leader and a bit of a fan favourite, but last season was poor. He is still however by far our most advanced key defender aside from an ageing Morris, and is the man that should and will get the big jobs on the big forwards. Too many games last year key forwards had a huge impact against us, and Roughead needs to be able to lift and hold that backline together by not only negating their influence but by setting up the backline as its future leader and someone who can take marks back there and dictate the play.

Our midfield is going to have a tough season this year, as guys like Liberatore and Macrae become the best 2 mids and cop the taggers, but our backline was our weakness last year, and is one area we have not bolstered yet. We need Roughead to perform.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Talia & Roberts.

These guys are the two most important players on our list, with regards to structure, game day match ups and on going recruitment. With Morris still our best defender and Roughie's capacity to still have a horror day, our back line stocks need reinforcement.

Talia seems to have a capacity to play off his man and spoil as a 2nd man up, or drop into space and take a grab. Untested at AFL yet with any real responsibility but having him develop in that way would be beneficial. Is a comparison with how Gibson at Hawthorn plays out of line? That'd be an ideal scenario, we'd have a good tall, a Glove and Talia able to work as a team back there and handle any mis matches.

Fletch is the guy I really want to succeed though. Assuming Talia can play his role, Roberts coming on gives us flexibility to stretch the opposition. He can be a swing man like that guy Hunter was for WCE. Hopefully better. Potentially frees up Roughie to play in the ruck, or forward if he is getting torched or there i no match up for him.

If both these guys come on, I'd say we have more quality options down the spine than perhaps we've ever had in my lifetime. Guys with the right build and skill set to do the job, unlike previous squads where we compromised because the guys with the skills weren't quite big enough, or our bigs weren't quite good enough. Less likely to have a Kretiuk battling manfully undersized, or a Crofty playing at FB because we needed a tall down there etc. Those guys had immense careers for us, but imagine if they were able to play the role we'd originally had them slated for instead having to use them as gap fillers.

So, those two need to step up. If they do, look out.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris. I am sick of his half hearted approach.

Post Thanks / Like

The players that need to step up are those recruited 2010 and before ie Libba, Wallis, Roughead and Dahl Cordy and Grant. These guys are now heading towards 100 games and they need to start to take control of their position.
    Last edited by bornadog; 25-10-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Grant and Cordy.

Grant for obvious reasons.

If Cordy could play to his alleged abilities (highly mobile forward/ruck) he would be a good foil for Boyd playing out of the square.

Boyd needs another tall down there, and we won't have Crameri for part or all of next season.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

There is certainly an opportunity waiting on those who are prepared to step up.

If we could get Grant back to what he showed late season 2013 it would help a lot.

One of Roberts or Talia being able to hold down a key defensive post would improve us defensively. It would also help if Darley stepped up to merit a best 22 spot with the efficiency ofhis disposal.

One of Campbell/Cordy to really nail down the second ruck spot or alternatively both to jump ahead of Minson and relegate him to Footscray.

Biggs may also be a more important recruit than Boyd for 2015, as he should be cherry ripe to establish his credentials as an AFL player, while Boyd will be more of a developing presence only.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with most on here. There's about 20 players on the list you could rightfully name.

Talia would be my numero uno, whilst I can't split Stevens/Roughead/Roberts/JJ. If any 5 of these don't make big improvements, it's a genuine worry.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting discussion because we have so many players who are right at the age where they are poised to either sink or swim.

For me, Talia and Roberts need to have the pre-season of their lives. Those two having break out years could really kick the club along. Meanwhile Darley looks like he has something, to me. JJ is another, as is Mitch Wallis. He lacks a yard of pace and his kicking isn't damaging, but neither was Scott West's IMO... He is at the age where inside midfielders tend to really step up (ie Jobe Watson and Dane Swan). I'm also looking for Jong to make the step to AFL level this year. Hunter is also one who might really put it together from this year.

On another level, I'm interested to see if Stringer can step up into genuine competition star class. He could be anything. Ditto Bonti, but I'm more interested in him over the next two years. Then, of course, there's Boyd. Macrae will continue to improve, I'm sure, but I'm interested to see if Libba can really step up to top-drawer performer as our standout number one midfielder. There's a lot of interest there, for me.

Although I only expect a bottom 5 position for us, there's a lot to look forward to.

10. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to say Minson. Letdown of a year after making all-Australian, he' surrounded by young talent and needs to be a real leader in the midfield without Cooney, Griffin etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Grant and Cordy.

Grant for obvious reasons.

If Cordy could play to his alleged abilities (highly mobile forward/ruck) he would be a good foil for Boyd playing out of the square.

Boyd needs another tall down there, and we won't have Crameri for part or all of next season.
    The last time I read the word "alleged" on WOOF, it was in relation to a leg canon.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I think Stevens is harshly rated on here with an emphasis on his faults in his first one and a half seasons.

The one we need to stand up is Roughead.
    Stevens should get every chance over the next two years - he does a lot right, and I hope you're right

Roughie was a shell of himself this year - I just presumed he played injured most of the year and if he is fit will certainly play better footy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    This is an interesting discussion because we have so many players who are right at the age where they are poised to either sink or swim.

For me, Talia and Roberts need to have the pre-season of their lives. Those two having break out years could really kick the club along. Meanwhile Darley looks like he has something, to me. JJ is another, as is Mitch Wallis. He lacks a yard of pace and his kicking isn't damaging, but neither was Scott West's IMO... He is at the age where inside midfielders tend to really step up (ie Jobe Watson and Dane Swan). I'm also looking for Jong to make the step to AFL level this year. Hunter is also one who might really put it together from this year.

On another level, I'm interested to see if Stringer can step up into genuine competition star class. He could be anything. Ditto Bonti, but I'm more interested in him over the next two years. Then, of course, there's Boyd. Macrae will continue to improve, I'm sure, but I'm interested to see if Libba can really step up to top-drawer performer as our standout number one midfielder. There's a lot of interest there, for me.

Although I only expect a bottom 5 position for us, there's a lot to look forward to.
    With the drafting of Boyd, at his price,the pressure is on to do a lot better than bottom 5. And I think we can.
    In terms of stepping up, it's time for Bob Murphy to fly the flag and be our captain.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Roughie was a shell of himself this year - I just presumed he played injured most of the year and if he is fit will certainly play better footy
    This is a bit of a concern. Roughy's body is banged up and he's still young. Pretty dodgy shoulders.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    With the drafting of Boyd, at his price,the pressure is on to do a lot better than bottom 5. And I think we can.
    In terms of stepping up, it's time for Bob Murphy to fly the flag and be our captain.
    Just remember Boyd's played 9 senior games .
    It's going to be difficult to expect our young players to maintain a high level all season long .
    It's a reality losing that much experience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just remember Boyd's played 9 senior games .
    It's going to be difficult to expect our young players to maintain a high level all season long .
    It's a reality losing that much experience
    l highly doubt the average Bulldog supporter will see it this way.
    l am sure a fair few supporters will have Boyd penciled in for 100 Goals and us to make the 8.