Some words of wisdom from Dougie.

WESTERN Bulldogs legend Doug Hawkins hopes former Bendigo Pioneer Jake Stringer can win a spot in the club’s midfield as early as next season.

Hawkins, who was in Bendigo for Wednesday’s Cup race meeting, said he was a huge rap for the 20 year-old.

Selected by the Bulldogs with the fifth pick in the 2012 national draft, Stringer has booted 38 goals in 28 matches, mainly as a power forward.

But with the club losing its captain Ryan Griffen to Greater Western Sydney and Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney to Essendon during the trade period, Hawkins believed a spot could open up for the former Bendigo Pioneers star alongside fellow youngsters Tom Liberatore, Jackson Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli and Mitch Wallis.

“I think he can play more than just a forward,” Hawkins said.

“He has the ability if he gets a little bit more endurance into his body, he can play a bit of on-ball.

“That doesn’t mean it will happen, but I think he can.”

Hawkins, who played 329 games for the Bulldogs between 1978 and 1994 and 21 in his only season with Fitzroy in 1995, said the club was at a tough point in time following the loss of its two most experienced midfielders and the resignation of coach Brendan McCartney earlier this month.

He said the new coach would be the most important appointment since the club changed from its original name of Footscray ahead of the 1997 season.

It is understood St Kilda director of coaching Luke Beveridge has emerged as the frontrunner for the vacant position ahead of former Carlton coach Brett Ratten and current Bulldogs assistant coach Brett Montgomery.

Hawkins said his preferred choice until a few days ago was former Fremantle coach Mark Harvey.

A favourite son and triple premiership player at Essendon, Harvey this week returned to the Bombers as a senior assistant to embattled coach James Hird.

Hawkins said he was disappointed former Bulldogs champion midfielder Scott West would be overlooked for the vacancy after the seven-time best and fairest winner confirmed his interest in the position.

“I am led to believe that from (Tuesday) night he’s been told he won’t get an interview, which I think is a bit disappointing,” he said.

“For one, he’s coached on his own – he coached Werribee to two preliminary finals – and his football record speaks for itself.

“If anyone from the Bulldogs was going to get an opportunity I thought it might have been West.”

Hawkins branded the club’s decision to trade for Greater Western Sydney key forward Tom Boyd as a “monster risk”.

The 19 year-old, who played nine games and kicked eight goals in his debut season with the Giants, lands at Whitten Oval on a seven-year deal understood to be worth an average of $1 million a season.

“I know that we are squealing out for a tall forward, but that’s a lot of money,” Hawkins said.

“I personally don’t agree with the money – again I say we needed a forward – but not for $7 million please, give me a break.

“What that does is put pressure back on the Bontempellis, the Stringers, the Macraes, Liberatore when they come out of contract.

“We all might be mates, but guess what, it’s a business.

“They would be saying ‘hang on if this guy’s on million and I win the best and fairest’- like Liberatore might go back-to-back - he might jump from $400,000 to $800,000.

“It could cause a few problems.”

Hawkins said he could only think of two players during his playing days – Geelong great Gary Ablett Senior and North Melbourne champion Wayne Carey – who could command the type of money afforded Boyd.

“It’s frightening to think what sort of money they might be on now days,” he said

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/...tringer/?cs=81