Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs legend backs on-ball role for former Bendigo Pioneer

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    There were 46 players in the AFL on $700k or more in 2013. If Boyd is on $800k after 2016 we should be fine
    That surprises me. Is there a list of earning somewhere, I'd be interested in having a look?

Thank Boydogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    That surprises me. Is there a list of earning somewhere, I'd be interested in having a look?

Thank Boydogs.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226834339957

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-2...s-down-to-five
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Typical of the Hun, the journo has misinterpreted his own data. There were 22 players earning over $700k and a further 41 in the $600-$700k bracket. Yet he's tied himself into a knot and ended up writing that 41 earn more than $700k.

In any case, some of our guys will be slightly front ended in 2014, then Boyd will get monster money in 2016, before coming down to about $800k from 2017 onwards. That will leave plenty of room for retention of guns.

4. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    I agree with Doug. The Boyd deal is too risky. The obvious repercussions through the playing group will damage us further in years to come. Its a desperate attempt by a board looking to give hope to the fans.
    I actually think it's a high risk strategy to playing in a grand final. The Boyd deal to me indicated that the club has had enough of selling hope. It said to me we're sick of playing in losing Prelims what can be the difference? So we went and got it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PedroArvy View Post
    I agree with Doug. The Boyd deal is too risky. The obvious repercussions through the playing group will damage us further in years to come. Its a desperate attempt by a board looking to give hope to the fans.
    I don't quite see the risks the same way you and the Hawk do. If it causes other players to look elsewhere for a bigger pay cheque then I guess they were very likely to do that anyway. Most very good players can find a home somewhere else for bigger money.
    I'm hoping our guys take an approach similar to the likes of Jimmy Bartel who no doubt would have received better offers through his distinguished career but decided to stay with one club. Closer to home Chris Grant did the same.

If we can offer players the chance to earn very good contracts and provide them with the pathway to finals football then money won't be the primary focus for the players with the best intentions and those who see the bigger picture.

We all know we paid overs but I think most would agree we just couldn't keep doing the same thing we have for year after year and expect a massive improvement.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's not risky at all. The Economics of Boyd, external to the salary cap have to be taken into account.

- We have any number of marketable players now with point of difference. Dal and his marketability utilised by the club towards young members. Bontempelli and his clean-cut, modern footballer prototype angle, Stringer with his raw talent, country laid back attitude. Now there's the KP forward. Young, built like Mars, when he begins his progression to becoming a household name due to his exploits the club will reap the rewards in the sponsorship and membership department.
    - Players will want to come to the club the play with him, and the other boys

The salary cap is not a ball around our ankle. It must be managed going forward, but I have full faith that an Excel spreadsheet has been utilised and the formulas are correct.

9. Likes Drunken Bum, craigsahibee liked this post