Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yarns, Fables, Stories of the club.

I recently heard a story I hadn't heard before. Brad Johnson said at post game review after the 1997 prelim (Sunday or Monday) that Plough Wallace enter the room with the words 'we blew it' written in texta across his forehead and addressed the players. I'm not sure if I forgot it or never heard it.

So, thought I'd start a thread for other interesting little yarns about the club or players you've heard over time that might not be as well known as Turtle's 20c piece story.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Throughandthrough, lemmon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yarns, Fables, Stories of the club.

Rumour had it KT told the club to sell him at the best price they could get because he was stuffed and had very little footy left.
    Would love to believe it , but the cynical part of me believes he had an offer to good to refuse.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

In 1997 or thereabouts all the players made a pact to get a Bulldogs tattoo if they won the flag. Danny Southern, the worldly fellow he was, refused - saying that in his experience getting a tattoo was a meaningful, sacred rite.

Probably fable, though I've always liked it for what it said about Danny.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been waiting for 6 years for someone to start this thread.

What was the deal with Daniel Hargraves anyway? Same for Brad Murphy.

Bob Murphy told a great story at Presentation Night at the Corner; as a senior player, he had dibs on what music was played in the weights room. Being Bob, he chose to play the Stones or something of that ilk, which prompted a young, unnamed (and strongly hinted by Bob to be hack) player to lean on Bob's treadmill and say "who the f*** is this?"

To which Bob responded "who the f*** are you?"
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes hujsh, azabob, Mofra, KT31, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I met a bloke in a pub in Collingwwod one night and he told me my favourite footy story ever. It was about the one game he played for Fitzroy lining up on Jack Collins at the Western Oval. The ball was down the other end and Jack started chatting away. After a while he said "hey, she's a bit of alright" "who's that Jack." That girl over near the umpires race" He could see someone with long hair but he told Jack that he couldn't quite see her well enough. Jack told him to wander over a bit closer because she really was something to see properly. So he took a few steps over and yelled out to Jack that he still couldn't see her. Jack yelled out to him to get a bit closer still so walked over a bit more. "I still can't see her... Jack. Jack?" He turned around and there was Collins running into the goal square bouncing the ball while our friend was standing twenty yards away staring into the crowd.

I don't know if it was true or not but it's an epic tale.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes Mofra, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do i hashtag Eastdog into this thread?

#Eastdog! Eastdog!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the story about Glen Coleman's car breaking down after training.
    Another player (Standfield?) had a rope in his car so offered to tow Galaxy's car home.

He asked where Glen lived, and Galaxry responds with "I'll direct you on the way".
    Galaxy wasn't a 'rocket-surgeon' and someone had to explain to him that he'd need to be sitting in his car to steer it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I thought of when seeing this thread was the pre-season game against Freo in 2011 when a young Jayden Schofied gave a few Freo players some lip service. He was quite a lippy player by all accounts, and in this game he got stuck into Jack Anthony along the lines of "no wonder Collingwood got rid of you seeing as how s*** you are". Then he got stuck into Kepler Bradley, allegedly saying "can't believe you are still on an AFL list, I thought you were delisted years ago". Ryan Crowley had had enough of Schofield by this stage and supposedly grabbed him by the throat, to which Schofield casually replied "I don't even know who the f*** you are"

12. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In one of Brad Murphy's first training session he was pitted against Brad Johnson. After beating him in a one on one duel young Murphy flipped Johnson the bird. This didn't go over well with the players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The first thing I thought of when seeing this thread was the pre-season game against Freo in 2011 when a young Jayden Schofied gave a few Freo players some lip service. He was quite a lippy player by all accounts, and in this game he got stuck into Jack Anthony along the lines of "no wonder Collingwood got rid of you seeing as how s*** you are". Then he got stuck into Kepler Bradley, allegedly saying "can't believe you are still on an AFL list, I thought you were delisted years ago". Ryan Crowley had had enough of Schofield by this stage and supposedly grabbed him by the throat, to which Schofield casually replied "I don't even know who the f*** you are"
    Yep I remember that story. Love the last one to Crowley.

TD's Jack Collins story is a ripper.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone tell the Captain Groenewegen story. There must be someone here who hasn't heard it yet

Post Thanks / Like

EJ broke the scaphoid bone in his left wrist early in his career. He never had it operated on. He played for many years with his wrist heavily strapped protecting the break. Imagine what he would have been like with two good wrists!

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are a few stories when we played West Coast.

One of Tony Libba's first games. Worsfold was barking instructions to players left right and centre telling them to man up, or cover a position etc and then was heard to say (about Libba), "and somebody stomp on that cockroach on the ground"

There was also the story of urinating on the ground, but can't remember which player? Was it Browny?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Someone tell the Captain Groenewegen story. There must be someone here who hasn't heard it yet
    Robert Groenewegen:
    A ruckman/defender for the Western Bulldogs from 1978 to 1986, he is probably best remembered for his 1985 end of season football trip antics. The heavily intoxicated Groenewegen, on a flight to Hawaii, grabbed the hosties' flight microphone and uttered the words: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is Captain Groenewegen speaking...we are currently cruising at 10,000 metres. I hope you are enjoying the flight because it will be your last, we're going down".

He also sneakily let it all hang out in a team photo which was overlooked by a newspaper editor and published.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think there are a few stories when we played West Coast.

One of Tony Libba's first games. Worsfold was barking instructions to players left right and centre telling them to man up, or cover a position etc and then was heard to say (about Libba), "and somebody stomp on that cockroach on the ground"
    In one of Tony Liberatore's first games he had run and run and run some more, all day. The siren blew and Libba stopped and turned around to shake his opponents hand only to realise that as soon as the siren blew, because his opponent (can't remember who it was) had run so much to keep up Libba, passed out with exhaustion the moment he heard the siren.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.