Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yarns, Fables, Stories of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Someone tell the Captain Groenewegen story. There must be someone here who hasn't heard it yet
    Why not let the man himself tell it ?

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...egen#post45665
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

2. Thanks Murphy'sLore, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Subiaco brawl in 1994 has an interesting sub-plot to it. The year before in the corresponding fixture, Brett Heady tore us a new one and kicked a big bag of goals. Every time he kicked a goal, he would give a gobful to his direct opponent - along the lines of "that's 5", "that's 6", and so on. Wally was shifted onto him for his last couple of goals and he continued with this line of sledging to Wally. Fast forward 12 months later just after Wally has poleaxed Heady with a perfect hip and shoulder, he leans over to Heady's semi-conscious body lying prostrate on the ground and says "that's 1"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The Subiaco brawl in 1994 has an interesting sub-plot to it. The year before in the corresponding fixture, Brett Heady tore us a new one and kicked a big bag of goals. Every time he kicked a goal, he would give a gobful to his direct opponent - along the lines of "that's 5", "that's 6", and so on. Wally was shifted onto him for his last couple of goals and he continued with this line of sledging to Wally. Fast forward 12 months later just after Wally has poleaxed Heady with a perfect hip and shoulder, he leans over to Heady's semi-conscious body lying prostrate on the ground and says "that's 1"

Thanks Sedat. I often wondered what Wally said to Jobby. You can see in the replay Wally looms right over him and says something.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Thanks Sedat. I often wondered what Wally said to Jobby. You can see in the replay Wally looms right over him and says something.
    From Perthnow -Sept 2011 talking about Danny Southern

A MULLET-HAIRED Bulldog named Danny Southern once choked an opponent to the point where he blacked out.That victim was West Coast Eagles full forward Peter Sumich.

Footscray played the Eagles at Subiaco Oval on the final day of the 1994 home-and-away season and the match isn't remembered for West Coast's impressive win.

Seconds before the half-time siren sounded, Eagles forward Brett Heady was viciously shirt-fronted by Bulldog Steve Wallace, sparking a wild all-in brawl.

Players jumped off the bench as fists went flying, but it was the actions of Southern which entered him into AFL's infamy books.

Southern put Sumich to sleep in a headlock, which caused him to black out and collapse. He reflected later that at the time he briefly feared he "had killed him''.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    From Perthnow -Sept 2011 talking about Danny Southern

For anyone inclined to reminisce, the good stuff erupts at 1:00 ...

Wally's hit was hardly cavalier or vicious, but he knew what he was doing.

Jeez I loathed that Eagles squad. Sumich the worst of them. Probably because he dined out on us regularly.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day, clubs would regularly present the same story to the tribunal and both West Coast and Footscray had rehearsed their stories beforehand. At the last minute, and perhaps with an AFL warning, West Coast dropped us right in it and we got the raw end penalties. I can remember guys like Hawkins and MacPherson were devastated that the 'code' had been broken and I don't think it was ever recovered.

It was a real game changer from a number of perspectives.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Back in the day, clubs would regularly present the same story to the tribunal and both West Coast and Footscray had rehearsed their stories beforehand. At the last minute, and perhaps with an AFL warning, West Coast dropped us right in it and we got the raw end penalties. I can remember guys like Hawkins and MacPherson were devastated that the 'code' had been broken and I don't think it was ever recovered.

It was a real game changer from a number of perspectives.

It cost Doug his last finals appearance IIRC.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Teddy Whitten sought to play another year with North. North told him he'd play reserves and then get promoted on form. EJ told them he'd never played reserves and never would so there endeth that idea.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

There was also the story of urinating on the ground, but can't remember which player? Was it Browny?
    I think that was Kritter. Hung the snake out the bottom of the shorts and hosed on the ground at 1QT, or 3QT.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Kretiuk took a slash on bended knee in the huddle pre game. It was big news, a bit of moral outrage from the media at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In one of Brad Murphy's first training session he was pitted against Brad Johnson. After beating him in a one on one duel young Murphy flipped Johnson the bird. This didn't go over well with the players.
    That's awesome I'm upset he didn't make it now
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Rumour had it KT told the club to sell him at the best price they could get because he was stuffed and had very little footy left.
    Would love to believe it , but the cynical part of me believes he had an offer to good to refuse.
    Yeah, that's romantic revisionism at its best. KT was a Melbourne supporter as a kid and we were woeful. Also, he was keen on Barass - who he'd idolised as a kid - even wearing the number 31 on his back. Big money thrown into the mix and enough said.

Also, the suggestion that he knew he was crocked doesn't reflect well on his character if you look at it from the Melbourne FC viewpoint!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That's awesome I'm upset he didn't make it now
    He was a very confident youngster who thought all players bringing the ball into the forward line should kick it to him. Really got PO'd when they didn't. Shame his ability didn't match his opinion. There is a difference between players who can back up a bit of swagger (Stringer) and arrogance (Akermanis) and players like Brad Murphy and Jayden Schofield who just have an inlafted oinion of their real worth.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good story about the doggies from a passionate supporter.

WE dated a long time. We met every second Saturday, 2.10pm, forward pocket terrace, six months of the year. In front of the EJ Whitten Stand, diagonally opposite the scoreboard.

The bewitching Western Oval and I had a long-standing love affair that still exists in memory today.

It was quite some journey. The scent of hot pies, hot chips, hot dogs and cold beer - the stench of cigarette smoke, flatulence and more cigarette smoke. It was a place to scream in despair, shout for joy or sigh in disappointment.

There was the fellow who’d dress in all his Bulldog colours but spend his time bagging his ‘beloved’ team; the old lady who would secure a front row seat for her and her yet-to-arrive-but-we’ll-get-there-just-before-the-siren friends with the longest red, white and blue blanket you’d ever see. The young couple who had gone to watch a game of footy but saw little of it.

You didn’t mind the drenchings, which were often. You’d just hope you’d found the feeling in your fingers and toes by the time you got back to the car. Still, you were happy as long as the lads had put in and put up the good fight. That’s all they could do in my early days. The Dogs only ever swapped wins with St Kilda and Melbourne. Won little else.

The tide started to turn in 1983. A little bloke from Bairnsdale came in from the cold and lit up the soggy Barkly Street oval. Brian Royal brought with him a curly-haired shuffler in Steven Wallis and a collection of talls and smalls from interstate who led a huge revival.

The skilled ruckman Andrew Purser who punched above his weight and height (and gave Brian Taylor a backhander from yesteryear); Jimmy Sewell, an immediate cult hero with determination, marking skills and persistence. We started to win. And win often. There was a stirring victory over Hawthorn at their Princes Park home. Jim Edmond was dominant and flying high.

There was the Pieman Simon Beasley, who lit up a gloomy Western Oval sky one day with a 12-goal bag, and won a game after the siren against the Pies. Not that I saw it. I held my head in the hands and waited for the screams of delight, or the silence of defeat. Screams it was. And what a day.

You’d never leave after a win until you’d clapped the team off the ground and sung the Sons of the ’Scray at least three times. You’d watch Bluey Hampshire, Royce Hart, Don McKenzie or Michael Malthouse make the slow climb down from the mountainous coaches box in the sky from enemy territory.

You’d catch one last glimpse of Ricky Kennedy walking off the ground and wonder how on earth he ever let Tony ‘Plugger’ Lockett kneel over the top of him, fists flailing.

A red-head from WA reinvented the game with run from defence, and lo-and-behold, Brad Hardie even kicked the occasional goal. Won a Brownlow Medal too. There was the sublime talents of Michael ‘Magic’ McLean, the bull-at-a-gate run from half-back of Brian Cordy, and the silky skills of his stick-thin brother Neil. Has anyone marked a high ball better than the elder Cordy?

And didn’t I love the recycled players. Those who gave up their day jobs to help the Bullies. Con Gorozidis, who at least always looked like he’d take another screamer; Max Crow, who must have been good because he came from Essendon; Allan Edwards; Bruce Duperouzel, who looked about 50 to this young fellow but was a legend from St Kilda; Tony Buhagiar, who’d been a Bomber star; Neal Peart, a big fellow from Richmond; St Kilda’s Mark Kellett, who shored up a poor defence with shoulders that went forever; Angelo Petraglia, the little left foot dynamo from North Melbourne who ‘hated’ a goal.

Then there was Peter Foster. Once at Fitzroy, quickly a Bulldog favourite. He gave Dermott Brereton nightmares when at centre-half back. At centre-half forward he’d mark everything. A true favourite.

Steve ‘Super’ Macpherson, his brother Rod, Micky McKenna, Ian Williams. All favourites.

Eight goals to nil in the first 20 minutes against Fitzroy, keeping Carlton goalless for a whole game ... bar 20 damn seconds. Beating Essendon easily in their 1985 premiership year. If only we’d knocked off Hawthorn in the prelim. Ah, the memories ...

Now we come to the ‘Hawk’, Doug Hawkins. He made a dirty day clean, a rotten loss bearable. They were the days when full backs kicked out to opposing ruckmen, no one else. Not when the Hawk was playing. They still kicked it to Doug. Didn’t matter if he was two-foot smaller, he’d outmark his opponent, or bring the ball to the ground, wheel around on either foot, and pinpoint a gun pass onto a chest. A superstar. Pity he always played on the other side of the ground, the ‘Doug Hawkins Wing’. He was magic. One day, close to the boundary with the ball, surrounded by opposition players, the Hawk calmly hand-passed the ball onto an opponent’s foot - out on the full. Mesmerising.

So many memories. I’m off to the footy. Go Dogs.

http://www.maribyrnong.starweekly.co...races/?cs=1216

16. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a young fella from Melon st Zeno Tzatzaris (I hope it's spelled right) grew up 7 houses down. he had a big red tin roof with ZENO emblazed in white paint which the story goes when he was picked up by the dogs his proud father painted it.I was at the club one night having a beer with zeno and asked him about it the truth was it was a young Zeno who painted it and a very pissed of dad when he saw it so fact and fiction are miles apart.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

18. Likes Raw Toast liked this post