Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  54
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Labor promise Western Bulldogs will play two games in Ballarat every season

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...gs-strike-gold

For those still doubting the awesomeness of our Ballarat deal, check out the boys promoting Sovereign Hill.

That's gold.

Next stop Kryall Castle?

2. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Sovereign Hill. It is really well done and a great way of getting youngsters to learn a bit about our State's 19th century history.

For those with families 0-10 yo, the place is a winner for all and has so much to offer, one full day is not enough to cover it. I recommend you book yourself an overnight stay at a b&b or a holiday let in Ballarat (Craig's Hotel if you want to really lash out) Two outings at Sovereign Hill and have a take away dinner treat or a cheap restaurant in town. The town is grand with impressive Victorian era buildings. The Ballarat Wildlife Park is also pretty damn good to round off a great weekend or long week end with the kids on a low stress holiday.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I love Sovereign Hill. It is really well done and a great way of getting youngsters to learn a bit about our State's 19th century history.

For those with families 0-10 yo, the place is a winner for all and has so much to offer, one full day is not enough to cover it. I recommend you book yourself an overnight stay at a b&b or a holiday let in Ballarat (Craig's Hotel if you want to really lash out) Two outings at Sovereign Hill and have a take away dinner treat or a cheap restaurant in town. The town is grand with impressive Victorian era buildings. The Ballarat Wildlife Park is also pretty damn good to round off a great weekend or long week end with the kids on a low stress holiday.
    They have the Eureka Stockade every night there too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    At Kryall Castle they have knights jousting and models of medieval tortures such as rats eating through stomachs (or they did in 1980 when I was mightily impressed as a 12 year old).

7. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon I went to the Eureka Stockade night about 20 years ago. It was great then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    At Kryall Castle they have knights jousting and models of medieval tortures such as rats eating through stomachs (or they did in 1980 when I was mightily impressed as a 12 year old).
    I've never been to Kyral Castle. I'm a medieval history buff so I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I reckon I went to the Eureka Stockade night about 20 years ago. It was great then.
    I went about ten years ago. It was pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Side note, in 1890 on this date my Great Great Great Grandfather passed away after a career on the goldfield in which he was credited as the 1st man to find gold in Victoria. He has a bust at the Museum in Ballarat, I will go visit on game days.

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not ashamed to say that I am a Sovereign Hill buff. Being a Ballaratian, I go every few months.

Glad that the Club have gotten involved with a major Ballarat organisation. Look forward to seeing how we can continue to develop the alliance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Side note, in 1890 on this date my Great Great Great Grandfather passed away after a career on the goldfield in which he was credited as the 1st man to find gold in Victoria. He has a bust at the Museum in Ballarat, I will go visit on game days.
    Hargrave? Or was he the bloke who found gold in Bathurst?

Post Thanks / Like

James Esmond
    Last edited by bornadog; 04-12-2015 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Esmond. He was on the steam ship from California with Hargrave, but decided to follow a rumour that Clunes would yield the best results.

16. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I've heard of Esmond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Esmond. He was on the steam ship from California with Hargrave, but decided to follow a rumour that Clunes would yield the best results.
    Hopefully he followed FFC.

Proud heritage for you.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to Soverign Hill in primary school for camp. Yep the Eureka Stockade was a highlight, bowling, panning for gold

Great to have our club involved. Rather Ballarat for 1-2 games a year than interstate.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

We moved out here in August and I have to say, it's a bloody wonderful town. History, art, good food and coffee, great fishing if you're into that, nice lifestyle, all the conveniences with little traffic. I've fished almost every day since moving here. The locals are fiercely loyal to Ballarat-based sport. The Courier (local rag) will feature a back page spread on any ex-AFL player starring for a local team nowadays no matter who they are. If the Dogs can pull this off, and foster a genuine and authentic relationship at lasts more than 10 years, we will absolutely reap the benefits.