Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  54
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Labor promise Western Bulldogs will play two games in Ballarat every season

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    A windswept North Ballarat stadium in the middle of Winter will not see me making the trip.
    Who knows the games might be early in the year or later when the weather is not at its coldest. That seems logical to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Who knows the games might be early in the year or later when the weather is not at its coldest. That seems logical to me.
    Afl and logic don't mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on its not exactly Green Bay in January .
    Harden up

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Nothing more binding than a campaign promise
    I'll believe it when it's in the fixture
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and politicians always keep their promises.
    Little faith! Last time the government came through for us.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Little faith! Last time the government came through for us.
    The Government will be doing it for the people of Ballarat principally. We are just along for the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

A windswept North Ballarat stadium in the middle of Winter will not see me making the trip.
    It couldn't be any colder than Waverley used to be.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Let Bonti and Stringer warm you up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It couldn't be any colder than Waverley used to be.
    As someone who's been to both on a freezing day I would say it is.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    As someone who's been to both on a freezing day I would say it is.

I tell you where it is freezing on a winter's day. Williamstown oval. Playing there on a July morning with the icy wind blowing in from the bay is a special sort of cold!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I tell you where it is freezing on a winter's day. Williamstown oval. Playing there on a July morning with the icy wind blowing in from the bay is a special sort of cold!
    Oh god this, windswept and freezing with wind off the water from 3 sides.

Whitten Oval is a far better VFL experience.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned in the social club thread, we are aiming for two H&A games plus an NAB game from 2017.

Now its up to Dan.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the negativity around this one a bit strange. I agree its a bit of a waste of taxpayer money, but who cares? It's money coming our club's way - pretty much.

As for the road trip, it'll be fun! Where is peoples' sense of adventure? And as for doing 15 odd games a season at stale old Etihad, I welcome the chance to mix it up a bit at a place with some character. Then there's the fact that it takes about $25 fuel to get to Ballarat and back. That's a lot cheaper than a flight to Launceston or Hobart - let alone Darwin or Cairns! And as for the cold, the worst day at the footy is when the cold catches you out.... If you turn up to Ballarat in winter without and extra layer or two of clothing....... well...... you're a dill!

Finally, the drive out to VFL Park from the western suburbs used to take the best part of 90mins in the old days. And that's without getting out of the carpark! We all pine for the old days and complain about the sterility of Etihad, yet when we get an exciting opportunity like this one, we moan about the cold? Spare me! I'm pretty amped about the whole thing. I fully intend to make the town ours!

Point is, we know it'll be cold in Ballarat, so just buck up and rug up.. Simple!

14. Thanks Bulldog Revolution thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, soupman, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Geelong are getting their umpteenth govt funded ground upgrade.
    I'm also a bit miffed by the continual negativity, as let's face it the club needs to raise its revenue.
    Brian Cook on AW tonight reckons the AFL are going to buy Etihad in the next 12 months.
    Those of us who attended Western oval games remember vividly 7 and 8 degree games, and wind chills of zero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the wind used to whip down the WO. Generally a northerly or a norwester, but freezing nonetheless.

The AFL has clearly been posturing to buy Etihad for the past 2-3 years. The thug Vlad tried every trick in the book to soften Etihad's management up. Constant talk about a third, 'boutique' stadium at either Princes Park or Punt Road, talk of extra games in Geelong, that Geelong final etc etc. Vlad tried every desk thumping angle and created a stalemate as the Etihad management stood up to it all.

Now, as with many other things, all Gil McLachlan has to do is play the good guy, reopen negotiations and meet the Etihad camp somewhere in the middle. For all the money they've pumped into GWS and Gold Coast, they could've bought Etihad and wiped off every Victorian clubs' debt. The sooner they buy Etihad, the better.

Post Thanks / Like

My only beef is that I'm in Brisbane and will have to settle for watching it on tv otherwise I'd be there with bells on, whether it's belting rain or snowing, it'll be like the old days surviving the weather watching our beloved side play on a suburban ground, awesome!

For those whinging you could live in Brissy (my choice) and have to wait till round 23 next season at the Gabba for the one and only Dogs game!