Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  54
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Labor promise Western Bulldogs will play two games in Ballarat every season

I hope we follow through on this. Not that I love Ballarat or anything but it would be a handy base to play a few home games at. Football town, not to far from Melbourne, handy alternative membership base, if zones ever did come back Ballarat would be one of the juiciest fruits. With a bit of work there is lots of upside.

But, for Gods sake, if we are going to do it then let's do it properly. Darwin, Cairns, Canberra-we've been a bit all over the place with selling home games over the last decade or so. So let's resource this sufficiently so we can cover Ballarat in Red, White and Blue leading up to the games and try and make it an event that people really want to go to. Maybe play the first game at the new Eureka stadium as the first thing held there? Try and make an association with Ballarat the way Hawthorn have in Tassie.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes GVGjr, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I hope we follow through on this. Not that I love Ballarat or anything but it would be a handy base to play a few home games at. Football town, not to far from Melbourne, handy alternative membership base, if zones ever did come back Ballarat would be one of the juiciest fruits. With a bit of work there is lots of upside.

But, for Gods sake, if we are going to do it then let's do it properly. Darwin, Cairns, Canberra-we've been a bit all over the place with selling home games over the last decade or so. So let's resource this sufficiently so we can cover Ballarat in Red, White and Blue leading up to the games and try and make it an event that people really want to go to. Maybe play the first game at the new Eureka stadium as the first thing held there? Try and make an association with Ballarat the way Hawthorn have in Tassie.
    Agree, we have to do it properly. Population of Ballarat = 102k plus. Compared to Launceston 86k
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Eureka Stadium funding confirmed

$31.5 million of State Government funding has been confirmed for the redevelopment of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium precinct, supporting the Bulldogs’ vision of home and away matches at the regional venue from 2017.

The Premier, Daniel Andrews and the State Minister for Sport, John Eren, joined Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon at Eureka Stadium on Tuesday to announce the funding will flow from 1 July, 2015 as part of the 2015-16 Victorian Budget, with $2.5 million already fast-tracked so the project can start sooner.

The $31.5 million commitment includes $15 million for Eureka Stadium – to build a state of the art stadium for the region.

With funds set to flow from the start of next month, the City of Ballarat has appointed two architects – local firm Morton Dunn Architects, and Queensland based firm Populous, who developed the concept plan for Metricon Stadium – to review the precinct’s master plan.

The plan for Eureka Stadium includes new lighting, spectator seating and a video scoreboard that will support the Western Bulldogs ambition to play AFL home-and-away matches in Ballarat.

Speaking at the announcement earlier this week, Gordon said the Bulldogs were committed to a strong and permanent presence in Ballarat.

“We have spent a lot of time in Ballarat this year, talking to local businesses and talking to the local people,” he said.

“We want to employ local people from Ballarat to staff that office and they will be engaged in the activities of a community based football club,” he said.

“We run a number of programs in the Western region of Melbourne, our men’s health program is a world leader and we want to introduce that to Ballarat.

“In addition to that we will be doing our membership services and marketing to businesses and we want to be a seat at the table when issues in relation to the stadium or the stadium arrangements are played out.”
    Why the HELL don't they pour there 31.5 mill in upgrading the Whitten Oval to play 2 AFL matches a year at our spiritual home???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Why the HELL don't they pour there 31.5 mill in upgrading the Whitten Oval to play 2 AFL matches a year at our spiritual home???
    A skeptic would say marginal seats get funding, ie. Geelong, Ballarat. Or not?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Not mad at all , our VFL club plays there and we need to explore new places to expand the club, look at the Hawks in Tassie.
    Great idea, I would make it early in the season games though when it's still warm.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Not mad at all , our VFL club plays there and we need to explore new places to expand the club, look at the Hawks in Tassie.
    Great idea, I would make it early in the season games though when it's still warm.
    Agreed, however we need to be mindful of on the spot membership sign-ups in the early rounds.

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Great if the club can make some money from it, but I've seen so many horrible football games played in freezing windy conditions at Footscray and Williamstown that as a fan I'm not excited about this.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Good news. While I live far away from Ballarat our clubs overall future is most important. I hope the next good news will be a better stadium deal at Etihad.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

As a current Ballarat resident that can literally hear the local team training at Eureka stadium on a Thursday night, I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole endeavour. I'd love to see the town get behind the club in a way it never has with North Melbourne but it is quite a conservative, insular community with rusted on support for the big clubs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BAD for post.

Do you or other woofers know what the residual $16.5 amount is for? i.e. article states "The $31.5 million commitment includes $15 million for Eureka Stadium – to build a state of the art stadium for the region."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi BAD

Think I've answered my own question..."$31.5 million of State Government funding has been confirmed for the redevelopment of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium precinct, supporting the Bulldogs’ vision of home and away matches at the regional venue from 2017." (Of which the $15M is for the new stadium itself, other bit must be surrounding infrastructure, roads etc.)

15. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see your point and I would I have to say I would love 1-2 home games at Whitten Oval per year as my signature says but I can also see the benefits of the Ballarat experiment.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    other bit must be surrounding infrastructure, roads etc
    http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2...orts-precinct/
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

18. Thanks josie, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I see your point and I would I have to say I would love 1-2 home games at Whitten Oval per year as my signature says but I can also see the benefits of the Ballarat experiment.
    Thing is Easty, if the Ballarat thing goes ahead then we need to focus all our energy and fore siteon Ballarat, not get distracted by a back to WHitten Oval push.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.