Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should there be curtain raisers before AFL matches

Pies keen to put curtain-raisers back on the menu

CURTAIN-raisers before AFL games could be back on the agenda next season in a bid to improve match-day experience for fans.
    Collingwood has asked for its VFL team to play some games leading up to its AFL matches at the MCG, while Carlton has made a similar request for its affiliate the Northern Blues to play at Etihad Stadium. Some non-Victorian clubs have also mooted the idea, according to a Fairfax Media report.
    and
    Geelong and Footscray played a VFL curtain-raiser prior to the Cats' senior clash against the Western Bulldogs at Simonds Stadium in round 16 last season – the first such game at the ground in two years.
    read more here

I would love a curtain raiser before each game. It was great in the 80's going to WO to watch the reserves.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should there be curtain raisers before AFL matches

Two games makes for a great day, not just a few hours. In the 90's the reserves was future star studed and was good watching. My thoughts would be having an AFL reserves again and let the VFL have its comp back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

TAC games would be better than reserves.. People want VFL to stay regional as their are still clubs not with AFL clubs, I know I want my footscray side to play at whitten oval.
    If you support Port Melbourne why would you want to go to etihad,pay to see an AFL game you aren't even interested in?
    Leave the VFL as it is and give the TAC kids a taste of AFL grounds and crowds.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    TAC games would be better than reserves.. People want VFL to stay regional as their are still clubs not with AFL clubs, I know I want my footscray side to play at whitten oval.
    If you support Port Melbourne why would you want to go to etihad,pay to see an AFL game you aren't even interested in?
    Leave the VFL as it is and give the TAC kids a taste of AFL grounds and crowds.
    If we were playing Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, then why not have them play before the seniors?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Two games makes for a great day, not just a few hours. In the 90's the reserves was future star studed and was good watching. My thoughts would be having an AFL reserves again and let the VFL have its comp back.
    This is what I'd like to see.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather Footscray played out of Whitten Oval.

TAC cup games would be better curtain raisers and would give that comp more exposure.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for it.

However one change I would make is have the curtain raiser half time interval coincide with when the AFL players go on the ground for a warm up.

Imagine the atmosphere going into the last quarter of the VFL match if its close. Giving young kids a chance to perform under pressure infront of a packed house.

Having to sit and wait 2 hours between games would put alot of people off. Even more so now with the price of food and drink.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for it as it was brilliant when it was a full day at the footy with the Under 19's, Reserves and then the Seniors.
    Not only a full day of quality footy (could be argue with some of the sides we put on the park in the eighties) but you also had a chance to see the up and coming talent.
    Prefer if it was the TAC games and possibly even the odd interstate competition (NEFL,SANFL etc.) as it would be a shame to take Footscray away from Whitten Oval.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with the concensus here. Any curtain raiser should be a TAC cup or exhibition game. Keep the VFL local and independent.

Post Thanks / Like

I think from an idealistic point of view everyone would love to see a curtain raiser before each game, whether it be TAC Cup or VFL. The big issue is the fact that there are only 2 grounds in Melbourne so usually 2-3 games/week at each venue. Curtain raiser for each game would then take it to 4-6 games on the ground over the space of 2 days each week which is going to be an issue once we get further into the season.

Certainly think interstate venues and Geelong could have a curtain raiser before each game as there is only at most 1 game/week at those venues. Perhaps a more realistic way of doing it would be to have either occasional curtain raisers, such as National Championship games, or to have a curtain raiser only in a certain timeslot, such as before an afternoon game but not before a night/twilight game.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer to see our VFL team play. I want to see our own kids play if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I would prefer to see our VFL team play. I want to see our own kids play if I can.
    Yes, I agree, I don't always have the time to watch football on two days of the weekend. Prefer to watch one after the other. There will be plenty of games at WO, especially when we are playing interstate or a VFL team not affiliated with an AFL team.

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon eye VFL curtain-raisers against Cats, Bulldogs

Essendon have thrown their hat into the ring to have VFL curtain-raisers, with the Bombers targeting games against Geelong and the Western Bulldogs as opportunities for VFL/AFL double-headers.

It emerged last week that the AFL wanted to go back to the future by reinstating curtain-raisers for selected games in Melbourne. Carlton and Collingwood have already announced their intentions to be involved, and it seems the Bombers are also keen.

Essendon VFL general manager Matt Little suggested that pre-game ceremonies prevented showcase games against Richmond (Dreamtime at the G) and Collingwood (Anzac Day) from having VFL games played beforehand, but that Etihad Stadium could potentially host double-headers on Saturday, June 2 against Geelong, and Sunday, August 6 against the Western Bulldogs.

The AFL clash with Geelong is a night game, while the Bulldogs encounter is set down for a 3.20pm start.

"We don't have a big issue with that, it's just a matter of making sure that it gets ticked off by all the powers that be," Little said.

"The older fans that have seen under 19s, reserves and seniors all on the same day at the same venue, have always liked the idea of going to the footy early. If that can happen, I think it would be a fantastic outcome for not only Essendon and the other clubs but also the VFL."

The VFL fixture is set to be released in mid-December, with the cricket World Cup pushing back the start of the season until April 18.

The renovation of Windy Hill is on track, with the Bombers' VFL team set to return to their home ground for the start of next season - with an aim of hosting eight games there.

Essendon was forced to play three home games in Craigieburn during the second half of 2014 as Windy Hill was brought up to minimum standard.

Link here

Post Thanks / Like

Women's footy should feature sometimes I think. One area of differentiation between soccer and AFL, and we should promote that.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Women's footy should feature sometimes I think. One area of differentiation between soccer and AFL, and we should promote that.
    Great idea.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.