Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Australian Football Cup - how could it work?

Seeing the Bentleigh Greens vs Perth Glory FFA cup match during the week got me thinking. Australian Football is missing an all-in, knockout, winner take all cup competition where miracles can and will happen.

English Football is littered with David and Goliath fairytales from Cup football. Roy Essandoh putting Wycombe Wanderers into an FA Cup semi against Leicester City. 4th division Chesterfield squaring up against Middlesborough in a semi. Relegation bound Wigan Athletic rolling the juggernaut that was Manchester City in thedying minutesof the final a couple of years ago.

How can we bring the magic of cup football to our great game.

Can we do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Australian Football Cup - how could it work?

The only way it would work is if there's a serious prize at the end of it, like prize money out side the cap for the players(50k per player and 1m for the club), bonus points to start the season and maybe a first round draft pick.

If its just mickey mouse with stupid rule changes no ones going to take it seriously and it will end up a farce like the NAB cup.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think these results show how fickle the round ball game can be! The low scoring nature of the game and the ability to 'flood' defensively makes the any given Sunday theory much more relevant.

Aussie rules is a different beast altogether, you can't fluke a win in Aussie rules and this type of cup would ultimately just see the AFL clubs completely (and I mean completely) dominate. Would be like throwing a state level sprinter up against Usain Bolt.

4. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    I think these results show how fickle the round ball game can be! The low scoring nature of the game and the ability to 'flood' defensively makes the any given Sunday theory much more relevant.

Aussie rules is a different beast altogether, you can't fluke a win in Aussie rules and this type of cup would ultimately just see the AFL clubs completely (and I mean completely) dominate. Would be like throwing a state level sprinter up against Usain Bolt.
    Couldn't agree more with this.

Foxtel Cup is the best way to have a knock out, ie the level below AFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

And that got axed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Two questions on this:

Could the Foxtel Cup be expanded to include metro and country league teams?

Do AFL clubs with standalone VFL teams, i.e. us as reigning VFL premiers, play Foxtel Cup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Two questions on this:

Could the Foxtel Cup be expanded to include metro and country league teams?

Do AFL clubs with standalone VFL teams, i.e. us as reigning VFL premiers, play Foxtel Cup?
    I think that could work. VFL teams may have to have some restrictions on who is eligible, but why not, could be interesting.
    Old Xavs taking on North Ballarat, or Frankston, could be interesting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that could work. VFL teams may have to have some restrictions on who is eligible, but why not, could be interesting.
    That's what I'm talking about.

Even if it doesn't involve AFL clubs at the highest level it is very doable as far as I'm concerned. I believe there's merit in allowing AFL clubs to field their VFL teams with some restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    That's what I'm talking about.

Even if it doesn't involve AFL clubs at the highest level it is very doable as far as I'm concerned. I believe there's merit in allowing AFL clubs to field their VFL teams with some restrictions.

He about if it was a seeded tournament?

The early rounds are played amongst local clubs until a group of 20 are reached and then the VFL clubs enter the draw?

And to all those saying the VFL clubs would be too powerful, it wasn't long ago that everyone was saying VFL players weren't capable of stepping up to AFL level. Or that amateur Gaelic footballers could beat a full time professional AFL team at International rules.

I'm not saying that something like this would be a success from day one resulting in packed houses and Kingsville beating Collingwood at the Willy road oval in the first season or anything. But I'd like to see us having a go at creating a competition that was open to every club in the land.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It have it the other way. If a local or Ammo club drew a VFL club then they can bring in a couple of guest players. Recently retired AFL players maybe, or good players from clubs in their leagues.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He about if it was a seeded tournament?

The early rounds are played amongst local clubs until a group of 20 are reached and then the VFL clubs enter the draw?

And to all those saying the VFL clubs would be too powerful, it wasn't long ago that everyone was saying VFL players weren't capable of stepping up to AFL level. Or that amateur Gaelic footballers could beat a full time professional AFL team at International rules.

I'm not saying that something like this would be a success from day one resulting in packed houses and Kingsville beating Collingwood at the Willy road oval in the first season or anything. But I'd like to see us having a go at creating a competition that was open to every club in the land.
    Exactly the way the FA Cup works.

EPL teams don't enter the draw until the 3rd round, by which time the number of 'non-league' teams has already been greatly reduced.