Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Darley in 2015

Looking at the pre-season training pics so far Sam Darley was one who struck me as having returned looking like he was now ready for the rigours or senior footy. He had noticeably bulked up. Obviously a pre-draft selection by GWS as a 16 year old suggesting he was one of the most talented kids in the country. He will be 22 in Feb and playing for a club looking for players capable of playing in defence.

Is he now ready to blossom with us?

Do people can see making a jump in 2015?

What would realistic expectations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Darley in 2015

You would hope that with some added size, is some added confidence also.

Darley was impressive with ball in hand in his taste of senior footy last year. Good decision maker, neat user.

Certainly hoping he can mimic the kind of improvement Easton Wood showed this year.

Post Thanks / Like

We really need him (among a few other lesser types) to stand up next year.

I do like his ball use and his acceleration is OK. Without looking at the stats, I think he will be able to find a bit of the ball. Seems to have a bit of footy IQ.

My main concern is his physicality. Added size will help but I tend to think you're either naturally physical or you're not. Given he's a half back flanker, he needs to be more physical than he is and he needs to be able to defend better. I'm not sure how well he responds to high pressure either - a few times he kind of stopped like a deer in the headlights and although he got a few free kicks this way, it can be costly if the opposition tackle correctly.

Having said all that, he is a young kid with limited experience and we got him for basically nothing. He has some talent and attributes to work with.

He should be aiming for around 15 games IMO.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will be a good player but I don't envisage a huge amount of improvement this year - although it would be nice. Easton has a far greater number of games under his belt and it is exposure to games rather than age that brings about rapid improvement.

I see him as a Higgins replacement, perhaps not as versatile as Higgins but his decision making and effectiveness by foot implies that he could be just as effective.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I saw last year, he is a nice kick of the ball and can certainly drill the passes straight onto his team mates' chests. He is a pretty mobile type of player. I think physicality is an issue to be worked on. Likewise, general possession accumulation if he is going to play something else than a locking down role.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

He's the best short-kick on our list.
    I see him as competing with Biggs for a spot in the best 22, although both could play with short rotations in the midfield at times too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Likewise with Mofra I see him competing with Biggs for a position. Based on the (very) limited amount I've seen this preseason I think Biggs will be ahead of him. I like Darley, in that he's a neat user of the ball, although mainly short, but his physicality is pretty lacking. Biggs on the other hand looks a really neat long kick and a bit more physically ready to play, although again I don't think physicality is his strong suit.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Darley fan with a little inside info on what held him back at his previous club. I went early and posted he would be every bit as impressive as our 2013 draftees. (Bloody BONTI !!!!!) Darley has a great attitude and footy brain and I see huge improvement this season and next. Really looking forward to seeing the improvement and that of new draftee (senior list anyway) Lin Jong. Will be a midfield gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I see him as competing with Biggs for a spot in the best 22, although both could play with short rotations in the midfield at times too.

Agree with both your points.

He is the best short kick on our list, but does that say more about the rest of our list or does it say that Sam is an elite short kick?

And it's good to have Biggs on the list providing competition for a spot with Darley too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things that surprised me about Darley was actually how he was always keen to 'crack in' and even though he was built like a stick, he at least tried to effect the contest. Didn't think physicality was an issue at all tbh, obviously a bit of added size (which looks like he's got this preseason) would make a big difference too.

Really like the kid, will be a pretty complete package I reckon and expect him to have a big year with a full proper preseason (none of that GWS kiddy shit ) behind him

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty optimistic about what he may be able to offer us next season.

He needs to continue to work on his defensive application, but he is otherwise what we need more of in the back half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Spot on, we have room for a couple of running defenders so Darley is in direction competition with Biggs for a spot. If Johannisen was moved more into the midfield then maybe that helps Darley as well. I'm not confident on how he will go but he will get plenty of chances to prove himself.
    He needs to play at least 10 senior games next season to really prove his worth.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    I'm a Darley fan with a little inside info on what held him back at his previous club.
    What held him back at GWS?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What held him back at GWS?
    More talented players than him?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Dry Rot, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Darley is ok. My cocnern with his is whether he is a "Macca" type player and whether he fits what Bevo wants (same could be said about a lot o f the players)