Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge looking to the future as playing group takes shape

After a big few weeks on the training track, the Bulldogs playing group is starting to take shape under the guidance of new coach Luke Beveridge, who is quickly making himself at home.

With the full list back in training and Beveridge having been in the role for just over three weeks, planning for 2015 is in full swing.

“It’s been a big couple of weeks but we’ve started off pretty well,” Beveridge said last week, speaking at a Bulldogs social club function.

“The boys have come back really healthy… and they’ve had a few really strong weeks of training.”

After a big off-season where the Club gained Tom Boyd, Shane Biggs, Joel Hamling and a handful of young recruits in the NAB AFL National Draft, Beveridge has adapted quickly to his new surrounds.

“It’s our (the coaching group) job to get around them really really quickly and form close bonds.

“The recruiting guys have pretty much thrown to us, it’s our turn now to try and improve them and build capability into them, and not only help them individually but help them form part of a cohesive group.”

Beveridge says he’s happy with that coaching group, and “wasn’t surprised” by the strength of the people around him.

“I’m fortunate to stumble upon a really strong coaching group.

“There’s a mixture of youthful exuberance and a little bit of experience and we need to shape the program and where it’s going.”

That goes for new coach, Daniel Giansiracusa, who retired from the Dogs at the end of 2014 and transferred immediately into a coaching role.

“Gia’s going to coach our forward line next year and Gia’s come out of the game, been a great servant of the club for a long period of time… (and) knows the game like the back of his hand.

“He’s going to be out of his comfort zone a little bit but he’s going to make a great coach. He’s ready to teach it (the game) because he understands it.”

As far as his own coaching style, Beveridge says it’s important to adapt to the group around him.

“I’ve gone on record as saying the best coaches mould their plans around their group and their capabilities.

“I will always believe that.”

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...n-taking-shape

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge looking to the future as playing group takes shape

Thanks B4L. I was kind of hoping the remainder of the abridged thread title on my browser (before being cut off) said 'coach' in lieu of 'group takes shape'.

We could do with a solid mid fielder right about now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was worried it might say coach too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be very interesting to see how the loss of Higgins, Jones, Griffyn and Cooney impacts our performances.

Early call, but I'd be surprised if it's a great deal from where we were last year. Sure, the midfield on paper suffers, but there's plenty of evidence for me to suggest that those lost weren't having a significant impact these past two years anyway (aside from Griffon last year), while our other players working through there are either of equal talent and are catching up in maturity very quickly.

Wishful thinking perhaps, let's see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue I have is the actual experience we've lost, and in the midths of July August it will be a struggle with young players .
    If we hold ground id be very pleased .

Post Thanks / Like

If go by the theory that it takes player 50 and over games before he feels like he belongs we will gain some more players in Stevens, Macrae, Dickson and if Smith can get on the park. They are all on that 30 odd game figure.
    Closely followed by Stringer, Johannisen, Hunter and Crameri in the high 20's.

Maybe not this year but in my one eyed view I think we will surprise people this year the future for 2016 is good we have a bit of talent to work with and a large core of players that are around the same experience.

Experience lost that are still playing was Cooney (219), Griffin (202), Higgins (129), Jones (66), Tutt (26)

The first three guys are the experience and 3 out of 22 is 14% of the playing group. Cooney and Higgins were marginal influence so our biggest hole is griffin and dare I say it Bonts may ease some of that pain because his a special talent.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are underselling the influence of Higgins in the backline - hopefully Biggs is playing sooner rather than later but Higgins is a best 22 player and difficult to replace.
    Cooney did have a few very good games last year - obviously his one-way running is an issue but he is still a very capable player.
    Griffin(!) was statistically a top 5 or 6 player in the second half of 2014 - he is a massive loss.

I'm expecting us to be bottom 4 in 2015 - I just don't think any improvement in the side is capable of offsetting the losses to such a degree that we rise above the ladder. I just hope the knives aren't out for Bevo after a few losses - I think he deserves some time.

We have the third youngest list in the AFL. For me that is a pointer to our likely ladder range.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's going to be very interesting to see how the loss of Higgins, Jones, Griffyn and Cooney impacts our performances.

Early call, but I'd be surprised if it's a great deal from where we were last year. Sure, the midfield on paper suffers, but there's plenty of evidence for me to suggest that those lost weren't having a significant impact these past two years anyway (aside from Griffon last year), while our other players working through there are either of equal talent and are catching up in maturity very quickly.

Wishful thinking perhaps, let's see how it goes.
    From a positive perspective only Grifun finished in the top 10 in the B & F. Not sure where Cooney finished but Higgins was well down the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Gryphun will be missed not only because he was our best player but because he drew that number 1 tagger on most occasions. That attention will be on Libba, Macrae or Bonti now and they will find it a little more difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Grifter - massive loss. Cooney - about half of his games last year were good to excellent. Although Higgins collected bags of possessions in quite a number of games, it was playing as the loose man 7th defender, so I think he will be the least missed and the easiest to replace.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Losing Higgins is a loss don't under play it. Experience, poise and a good football brain are what he brings to the table. Our biggest mistake was trying to package that up as a defender. I understand the rationale, but it was an epic fail.

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Losing Higgins is a loss don't under play it. Experience, poise and a good football brain are what he brings to the table. Our biggest mistake was trying to package that up as a defender. I understand the rationale, but it was an epic fail.
    Where else would you play him?
    He's got no urgency for the cut and thrust of a midfield, and isn't quick to play as an outside type.
    He's a forward if anything, and we have ample small forward types, and you'd have to ask whether Shaun would employ enough defensive pressure as a modern forward. Wouldn't keep him at 400 large per season.

Post Thanks / Like

The trouble with Higgins was that injury had stuff up what could have been an elite career. I even recon that his disposal had dropped off in his later games.

Cooney falls in the same boat with his knee.

Griffin for mind is the hardest pill to swallow.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

The best footy Higgins played between 2010-2014 - was at half back. He gave us stuff all as a forward during that period, the forward line lacked balance because of his lack of forward pressure and general slowness. At least at half back he got involved in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the biggest weaknesses we bemoaned was our lack of poise, decision making, and experience from half back, with the exception of Murphy. Higgins added little to improve it, and in a poor team full of kids he finished well outside the top 10 of the B&F, and even had a stint in the seconds. Yet he was less of a liability to the team than when he was playing forward or through the midfield.

Higgins in the type of player people look at and say "he's really talented, he'll be a gun some day", but in reality there's almost nowhere on the field he can play in the modern game and be a valuable contributor.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships