Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How will the new coach pick his team for round one?

Bevo is new to the club and probably has seen the team only a few times over the past few years. How will he go about choosing his team ?

1. Strictly based on NAB Cup, intra club and practise matches?

2. Reputation? For some players like the seniors?

3. Let the Assistants advise him?

Many of us have chosen the team for round one, but we know the players a lot more than the new coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How will the new coach pick his team for round one?

I'd imagine NAB Cup performance, fitness and an ability to stick to his gameplan will be prime consideration.

I also imagine anyone whose surname rhymes with "Wontempelli" is an automatic selection
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd imagine NAB Cup performance, fitness and an ability to stick to his gameplan will be prime consideration.

I also imagine anyone whose surname rhymes with "Wontempelli" is an automatic selection
    Also, 3 more automatic selection goes to those who's dads played alongside Bevo.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd imagine NAB Cup performance, fitness and an ability to stick to his gameplan will be prime consideration...
    As well as this, I think he will implement a strategy of giving the fringe KPP's a go to see how they fare and to start getting some games into them - I am refering to Talia, Redpath, Roberts and Hamling. Not all at once, of course, but surely he has to put them to the acid test and perhaps early is better than later.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

+100000000

I'm tired of hearing we didn't stick to game plan or something along those lines and see the same team run on the field the next week. Hopefully we have a game plan by Round 1. I can't identify the one we had over the past 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Hopefully we have a game plan by Round 1. I can't identify the one we had over the past 3 years.
    To be fair, I'd say our plan of confusing everyone worked a treat, notwithstanding the fact it wasn't a successful plan in terms of W/L.

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the team will already be picked. Bevo would have watched countless hours of footage of these guys as soon as he won the job he'd have a good idea who will run out in round 1. You would think the other 10% will be selected from the training track and NAB Challenge games. The cusp players are Talia, Roberts, Biggs, Darley, JJ, Dickson, Campbell and one other I thought of but forgot.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    90% of the team will already be picked. Bevo would have watched countless hours of footage of these guys as soon as he won the job he'd have a good idea who will run out in round 1. You would think the other 10% will be selected from the training track and NAB Challenge games. The cusp players are Talia, Roberts, Biggs, Darley, JJ, Dickson, Campbell and one other I thought of but forgot.
    Yeah i agree, i think he would have a pretty good idea what the 1st choice lineup would be, and based on what happens from now on some might drop out and others in.

Post Thanks / Like

90% of the team will already be picked.
    That would be 20 of 22 players already picked? I'm not sure it would be that high.

Plenty of players virtually pick themselves:
    Murphy
    Boyd Snr
    Roughead
    Morris
    Liberatore
    Macrae
    Bontempelli
    Stringer
    Minson
    Picken
    Crameri (if free to play)
    Dahlhaus

"Almost" locks for round 1
    Stevens
    Wallis
    Wood

I'll call it 15 spots (14 if Crammers is suspended) with 7 more to be decided.
    Boyd Jnr will play if fit and Hrovat, Biggs & Jong already look close to selection. At least one of Talia/Roberts/Hamling will play and JJ & Hunter wouldn't be far off either.
    Depending on NAB cup form that's basically the side, with Darley/Daniel/Dickson/Redpath/Grant likely to be in the mix too - Dickson & Grant strike me as potential super-sub types.

PS: If Clay Smith was fit I'd have him in the locks. I rate him that highly.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Crammers has looked so good at training, he is ready to explode this year, would be a disaster if he is suspended. On the other hand if he's suspended then................OK, it's alright, he can be suspended.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone should be automatic ally picked.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't think anyone should be automatic ally picked.
    Most of the team will be automatically picked.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog
    So don't select Murphy for Round 1?
    I'm sick of guys being gifted games just for being captain. Reeks of nepotism.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'm sick of guys being gifted games just for being captain. Reeks of nepotism.
    I hear ya. Same with the Vice Captain also. Let's just see who looks the handsomeness through the preseason and play the best looking blokes down back. May increase member numbers amongst the fairer sex - worth a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. Going into the role he had more IP on the established players than we have from notes collated in a few years of coaching against us.

Sure, he hasn't watched as many of our games in the flesh that we all have but you can be sure he's caught up on the replays.

Don't expect anything too different than what McCartney put out on the field, and don't expect a leaps and bounds change in terms of organisation and sticking to game plans in the next twenty weeks. If we can show a significant change in direction towards a coherent by round 16 I'll be impressed.

Our players are our players, and their strengths and weaknesses aren't going to change over night.