Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Big dreams for afl's smallest player

2. Thanks azabob, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big dreams for afl's smallest player

Interesting article - the author, Paige Cardona, had this to say about Daniel in her final phantom draft:

Pick 75: Port Adelaide – Caleb Daniel

Position: Midfielder
    Height 166 cm, Weight: 68 kgs, DOB: 7/7/1996
    Club: South Adelaide
    Projected Draft Range: 70-rookie
    Plays like: Brent Harvey

If you’re good enough, you’re tall enough. And while Port Adelaide don’t need any more cult heroes, the Power faithful would be delighted to see the 166 cm pocket rocket fall to Alberton. Daniel does everything well, and rates among the very best in just about ever facet. However, his main downfall is that he’s 10 cm too short, which is likely to see him fall through to the rookie draft, or potentially get completely overlooked. Nonetheless, Daniel is a terrific accumulator, tackler, goal kicker and high-level distributor. He is the Gary Ablett of the sub 170 cm players. He averaged 20 disposals at 92 per cent efficiency along with two goals, winning All Australian honours. He’s got courage, competitiveness, consistently applies defensive pressure acts and he is a contested ball-winner. He is lightning quick and possesses a big tank. Had he been 20 cm taller, we’d be talking about Daniel as a top-five selection, rather than a player who could just as easily go overlooked. He’s been playing senior football with South Adelaide, but the question isn’t his skill set: it’s whether or not he can survive at AFL level in the long term.

Seems she expected that, due to his relative diminutiveness, at best he would be picked up as an after thought by the local team, Port.

Another influential phantom drafter at BF, Knightmare, ranked Daniel as 32nd best available:

32. Caleb Daniel (SA – Mid/Fwd)
    Height: 167cm, Weight: 66kg, DOB: 07/07/1996
    Recruited from: South Adelaide
    Draft range: Late-rookie
    Best position/role: Rotational forward/midfielder.
    Strengths:
    Disposal efficiency – Through the U18 Championships from his three games Daniel had a rare disposal efficiency of over 90% which is staggering given he averaged 20 disposals per game over three games and his disposal efficiency at SANFL League level similarly has been outstanding.
    Footskills – By foot Daniel can do it all. He is the most efficient kicking midfielder/forward you will ever see but then he is also a very damaging kick. He is the best kick to a target in this draft as someone who over short and medium distances particularly seems to just about never miss a target. He also has penetration out to 50m which as required he can use. He executes to targets perfectly both when in space on the outside or under pressure in congestion. He is a terrific playmaker in that he consistently finds the inside 50 targets or targets around the ground better positioned to generate meaningful offensive drives. He is also a capable finisher when within range from goal, he can finish with drop punts, snaps or and kick required depending on the circumstance and is a reliable converter both from field kicks and set shots. When within range from goal he consistently displays a real unselfishness whereby if he is in a low percentage position and unlikely to kick the goal he will look to find a target in better position to finish for the goal.
    Vision – Daniel has excellent vision and consistently finds the best targets up the field or around the ground, he consistently lowers his eyes and because of it consistently finds the highest percentage targets around the ground and inside 50.
    Decision making ability – With ball in hand Daniel just about never makes a mistake, consistently identifying the highest percentage option and hitting them by hand and foot. He will rarely kick it long to a contest or just kick it long without purpose if it is not to a target, he will generally look to with every touch identify and find the best targets around the ground.
    Ability to execute under pressure – Daniel regardless of how much pressure he is under by hand and foot continues to execute his skills and hit his targets and has a real cleanness with everything he does. He just has a real composure with ball in hand, seemingly never fumbling or looking rushed. It is not even using any special evasive tricks in traffic; he just quickly identifies a good option and executes his skill to a target, no dramas. He also in general play with ball in hand will continue running, draw some opposition tacklers then last second deliver a handball out to a target which I also really like, with his timing spot on.
    Endurance – Daniel out on the field is constantly on the move and never seems to stop. He is constantly running and working his man over to get into space on the outside and in traffic he is constantly on the move and buzzing around. At the draft combine he scored an elite 16.1 so this should not come as a surprise.
    Inside/outside balance – Daniel to his game has a nice inside/outside balance. He is not a dominant contested ball winner and will be an outside player at the next level but he can certainly win his own ball and has good contested ball winning numbers and uses the ball particularly well in congestion but then on the outside he also has the work rate to work into space and find lots of the footy and use his run and use the ball efficiently so he is the complete package.
    Weaknesses:
    Small – At 167cm Daniel is by AFL standards in the extreme category of small but in saying that Brent Harvey is the same height and has no issues so while ideally he would be 15cm or 20cm taller, he still even at 167cm has a real chance to make it, particularly given his ability with ball in hand.
    Pace – Daniel because he is always on the move looks quick and he can at times run around guys and take on the game with some run and carry, but he is not all that explosive which as an extreme small will be a drawback given he is more an outside type.
    Not suited as a crumbing forward – Daniel can do some of the things crumbing forwards can do, he finishes well around goal, can convert from his set shots, hit targets in better positions to finish and at ground level he is terrific and clean but it is not a role I see him or being overly dominant in at AFL level with no one thing he can do deep in the front half that makes him suited to playing a crumbing forward role. Daniel is overall more a high motor guy who is better suited up the ground finding targets and accumulating rather than being locked into playing permanently in the front half.
    What I expect will improve:
    I do not see Daniel’s game changing all that much other than adjusting to the AFL level game. He will continue to refine what he does but in the most part what you see is what you get.
    Who he can become?
    Daniel has the feel of a poor man’s Brent Harvey as a slightly less quick and less dominant version.
    When will he be ready to play?
    Daniel has the ability to play from season one, and I would be inclined to say as soon as round one depending on whether the opportunity is there. He is, short and small as he is an immediate player.
    How to best utilise him?
    Daniel is best utilised on a forward flank, rotating up onto a wing.
    Interpretation of his numbers:
    Daniel’s numbers at SANFL League level and through the U18 Championships have been outstanding. His ability to accumulate both the inside and outside ball are strong. His tackling numbers are fine. His disposal efficiency is through the roof, with a disposal efficiency of above 90% through his three games during the U18 Championships. He hits the scoreboard at a good rate. All the signs suggest that he can play from season one at AFL level and that he the size of the bodies will not be a problem given he has already proven he can play against men at SANFL League level and with his strengths skill and endurance related, his strengths will at the next level remain strengths.

I have a hunch that the height thing will prove a complete furphy and we will be applauding ourselves for having had the acumen to see past it.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

.they are some pretty impressive stars and results at draft combine. Hopefully Caleb Daniel reiminds everybody why Australian Rules is considered a game for all shapes and sizes.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is a good player and that is all that matters! Not sure he is a forward (he is a smart, ball winning mid) but either way...he is just a good player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think he is a good player and that is all that matters! Not sure he is a forward (he is a smart, ball winning mid) but either way...he is just a good player.

I like him out of defence. He has that priceless ability to make the game move at his tempo. Time seems to slow down when he has the ball in his hands, a bit like Bob Murphy. We need sure hands like that in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I like him out of defence. He has that priceless ability to make the game move at his tempo. Time seems to slow down when he has the ball in his hands, a bit like Bob Murphy. We need sure hands like that in defence.
    He might have a bit of trouble against his opponent in the air. Bit like my 12 year old self going for a rebound against my Dad in backyard basketball
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

For sure his teammates would have to work extra hard in the air and cover more contests to make up for him but when the ball hits the ground he'd make up for it. If they could free him up as the spare man he loves to run and bounce and spear a kick to a target.

Post Thanks / Like

ahhh, those hypotheticals: if he were 20cm taller he would be a top 5 pick... The funny thing is that if he were 20cm taller he wouldn't move the way he does (gravity, mass and all that physics jazz) or have the same ball disposal speed.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    ahhh, those hypotheticals: if he were 20cm taller he would be a top 5 pick... The funny thing is that if he were 20cm taller he wouldn't move the way he does (gravity, mass and all that physics jazz) or have the same ball disposal speed.
    Agree F'scary and nor (IMO) would he would have the same drive and endeavour if he was 20cm taller.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

I think after Caleb takes the AFL by storm next season perhaps height won't count as much.

Post Thanks / Like

Being 167cm myself I've immediately jumped aboard the Caleb bandwagon, do it for us little fellas mate!

14. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty interested to see where we play him, how he goes at VFL level and then eventually AFL - assuming he is given an opportunity.

The lack of pace may be a bit of an issue, more so than his height. Typically gun small players have great acceleration (ie. Harvey, Dahl, Cyril, Walters, Ballantyne, Motlop etc) and cover the ground really well. I haven't seen enough to judge, but at the top level this may be Daniel's greatest challenge.

He is certainly smart enough (footy IQ is critically underrated).
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The lack of pace may be a bit of an issue, more so than his height. Typically gun small players have great acceleration (ie. Harvey, Dahl, Cyril, Walters, Ballantyne, Motlop etc) and cover the ground really well. I haven't seen enough to judge, but at the top level this may be Daniel's greatest challenge.

He is certainly smart enough (footy IQ is critically underrated).
    Thinking can overcome pace - Bonti was in the bottom 10% for acceleration but because he knows where the ball will be he generally hits the contest at pace so it becomes less of an issue.
    Daniel is "always moving" on the ground according to draft watchers so again he should be able to overcome this.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I caught up with a relative over xmas who played senior footy at South Adelaide with Caleb in 2014. Was a huge wrap for the kid personally, and as a player, especially his skills and decision making.

18. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Thinking can overcome pace - Bonti was in the bottom 10% for acceleration but because he knows where the ball will be he generally hits the contest at pace so it becomes less of an issue.
    Daniel is "always moving" on the ground according to draft watchers so again he should be able to overcome this.
    And in addition to this excellent point, if he has the elite level of stamina as all the indicators are showing, the longer the game gets, the faster he will become...