Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Finals a realistic aim for Western Bulldogs, says Tom Liberatore

Link

Emerging Western Bulldogs leader Tom Liberatore has revealed matching opponents in pressure acts is a "non-negotiable" for the Dogs this year and says returning to the finals for the first time in five years is a realistic aim.

Enjoying life and what shapes as a more attacking game plan under new coach Luke Beveridge, Liberatore said the Dogs, now boasting greater versatility, had good reason to believe they would build on the seven wins of last season despite losing more than 800 matches in experience, with former skipper Ryan Griffen, Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and Shaun Higgins leaving and Daniel Giansiracusa retiring.

"I think it is, yeah," Liberatore said when asked if finals were a realistic aim. "But as I said before, it's all about improvement. I think if we band together well, I think we should win more games than we lose."

The Dogs have the third-youngest list, prompting some within the football industry to suggest they will again finish among the bottom six.

However, Liberatore says Beveridge, the back-line coach with premiers Hawthorn last year, has made it clear he wants his men to play a more attacking game.

"He has just brought a different look to the game in terms of structure and ball movement, especially, and also a different look in terms of relationships and how he has dealt with the young group and allowed us to tackle his work straight away and not get overwhelmed by anything," Liberatore said.

"He is pretty calm and clear and concise in what he wants out of us. He has been really good from the start.

"He has made it quite clear that blokes have got to let their talent shine. You have got to play to your strengths and also in terms of versatility as well."

Liberatore, who claimed his maiden best-and-fairest last year, said the likes of small forwards Lachie Hunter and Luke Dahlhaus could expect to spend more time in the midfield.

"We probably didn't run enough players through the midfield [last year] - that's what we intend to do this year," he said.

"Nathan Hrovet, Lachie Hunter, Luke Dahlhaus and Jakey Stringer have all gone through there a bit more. And Jacko MacRae will probably come inside a bit more. It's just going to be a well-rounded midfield and try and spread the love."

The Dogs let opponents hit a target by foot 67.9 per cent of the time last season - the highest percentage conceded in the competition. Only Greater Western Sydney conceded more marks inside 50. When the ball was inside defensive 50, the Dogs allowed a goal 29.3 per cent of the time - the second-worst average.

"Pressure, we have made it clear it is a non-negotiable. And we have a pretty big responsibility on pressure at the source," Liberatore said.

"Regardless of which line of the ground it is in, pressure at the source is going to be a big thing, and it stretches out from that, how the second layers and third layers help defend from that."

While the Dogs will again pride themselves on contested possession, which was the mantra of former coach Brendan McCartney, Beveridge is expected to allow his men to show greater flair - when the opportunity permits.

"We have made sure we are going to have more depth in positions and blokes have got to learn [this]. On the flipside, if a Stringer or Hunter try and take screamers and show their flair, he is not going to hold them back. It's about getting the best out of everyone," Liberatore, now part of the leadership group, said.

"I don't think we were held back [last year]. The game style was quite well known - it was all about being pretty heavily reliant on contested footy and that kind of stuff. This year we have added another dimension to it. It has allowed us to take the game on a bit more from the start."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finals a realistic aim for Western Bulldogs, says Tom Liberatore

The F word! Gee I like the cut of young Libba's jib. I hope he's right that is for certain.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no better football marketing word than Finals. Hopefully gets a few on the cusp to sign up.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

So we made a mistake in coaching and game day rotations last year.
    Different relationship with younger players.

Interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Libba is a straight shooter, no doubt. Easy sort of bloke to get around, I'm looking forward to seeing him really build on a game that is approaching elite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So we made a mistake in coaching and game day rotations last year.
    Different relationship with younger players.

Interesting.
    BT, go back and look at the footage of Liberatore and BMaC at the b&f when Liberatore is presented with his award. The awkwardness of Liberatore towards BMAC is very telling. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BT, go back and look at the footage of Liberatore and BMaC at the b&f when Liberatore is presented with his award. The awkwardness of Liberatore towards BMAC is very telling. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
    Think you may be looking a bit to much in to it. Tom may have had a couple.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Yeah, you are probably right.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the article why on earth a jurno would ask about finals. Fairly stupid question if you ask me.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    After a couple you express your true feelings.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Tom Liberatore takes a caring and sharing approach

It takes a special mindset to crash and bash into some of the league's toughest warriors on a weekly basis, but Tom Liberatore offers a simple explanation for his determination.

"It's just the mindset of having overall care for your teammates. If you come in with that mindset and get that job done, everyone will benefit collectively," he said.

That care is obvious in the way Liberatore plays, and was highlighted by midfield coach Steven King in the Bulldogs' 2014 year book that , fittingly, features the passionate Liberatore on its cover in a year in which he celebrated his maiden Charles Sutton Medal.

"Libba just makes the game easier for everyone around him," King said. "He cares more about the club and his teammates than he does himself."

That's easy to see, even through the raw numbers. Liberatore has led the league in total clearances (45 more than any player) and tackles (20 more than any player) in the past two seasons. He has the fourth-highest contested-possession rate of any midfielder, ranking second for hardball gets and fourth for total contested possessions.

Those who have matched up on Liberatore know how much he craves the contest, and they include the league's best.

"Your Abletts and Swans are tough, but Freo is usually a good battle," Liberatore says when asked who his toughest battles had been against. "You make sure everyone is accountable who is in the midfield. Every week is a challenge."

That mantra should not surprise, considering Liberatore's pedigree. His father, club legend and 1990 Brownlow medallist Tony, wasn't always on the best of terms with opponents after morphing into a tagger, but none could take umbrage with his willingness to give the Bulldogs the best chance of winning.

Father and son are close, with Liberatore senior's love of the Dogs still obvious.

"He talks to me a fair bit. I see him once or twice a week. It's always pretty harmless and pretty carefree, but after a few losses last year he let his mouth run a bit," Tom Liberatore says, smiling.

"But that's his passion for the club. He never imposes too much. He has always been pretty good about that."

Liberatore, clearly, grew up awash in the red, blue and white, and wants to help lead his team to a place his father couldn't, and the Dogs haven't been since 1954.

"It is obviously etched in me. It burns pretty deeply, as you said. It's always in your mind every day," Liberatore says of premiership aspirations.

"You have to strive to be your best - just overall success, there is nothing better than winning games of footy. That is what everyone is here to do."

Liberatore's maturity was rewarded when he was elevated into the leadership group this season as its youngest member. While only 22, he can connect with and help usher through the younger Dogs, understanding the difficulties that can await teenagers finding their way in the world - and not just through a sometimes unrelenting football system.

To demonstrate the pitfalls, he need only point to the work he has done since he was found drunk, unconscious and in possession of an ecstasy pill in Melbourne's notorious King Street in August 2012 and was suspended by the Bulldogs for the rest of the season.

"It was obviously difficult early on [after the incident], but it was pretty basic in what I had to do - put my head down and work hard. It was pretty clear what went wrong and what I had to do to get back," Liberatore said.

That, he has.

With official leadership comes the next stage of his maturity. Comfortable leading by his work ethic on the field, Liberatore knows now there will be times when he is expected to speak up.

"It was made quite clear initially, being the youngest member of the leadership group, that it was just about continuing on from previous years and leading by example," he said.

"[But] it's just taking a bigger step in terms of speaking up a bit more, that phase of leadership. It definitely has never been my strength. It's definitely something I can improve as I get older.

"I have always just come in and played, and gone from there. Do the best I can for the team. Obviously, it was very humbling to be valued by my peers. It was a great honour, but it comes with responsibility."

He recently changed managers, enlisting former teammate Tom Williams, of Podium Sports, to guide him through the business side of the game. Liberatore has done few interviews but knows that may change now he is part of the club's senior brethren.

In the meantime, there are on-field matters to hone before the season-proper begins in April. As part of the Dogs' plan for greater versatility, Liberatore expects to spend more time forward this season.

"I will try and spend a bit more time forward and maximise that time when you are in the midfield, so you not lugging around for 80 or 90 per cent of the game in the midfield, which is a bit impractical," he said.

What can be forgotten in Liberatore's tough-as-teak game is that he is a lovely long kick. He ranked seventh in the league for effective long kicks last season, having 22 more than any teammate. This is a good thing, for improved ball use is paramount in the Dogs' revised, more adventurous, game plan under coach Luke Beveridge.

This should be aided by having recruit Tom Boyd up forward, finally giving the Dogs an imposing marking presence, whether that be with a well-weighted pass or as a bail-out option when the pressure is at its fiercest.

"That's one of Bevo's key mantras - our ability to use the ball by foot. Where we lacked last year was that last kick inside 50. We struggled a bit," Liberatore said.

"We were quite perfect inside in the midfield, but we just couldn't take the next step and hurt our opposition on the scoreboard.

"With Tom Boyd there now and a bit more firepower up forward, hopefully, we can do some damage."

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As part of the Dogs' plan for greater versatility, Liberatore expects to spend more time forward this season.

"I will try and spend a bit more time forward and maximise that time when you are in the midfield, so you not lugging around for 80 or 90 per cent of the game in the midfield, which is a bit impractical," he said.
    Looks like Bevo is adamant players must be more versatile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks like Bevo is adamant players must be more versatile.
    Libba forward. Matt Boyd half back. Tom Boyd rucking.

Not sure to call it crazy or genius, or bluff. Can't wait for footy that's for sure.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, some of those pressure stats from last year are damning on the 2014 game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wow, some of those pressure stats from last year are damning on the 2014 game plan.
    Say Griffen was some how salvaged. So say Macca stayed with a stern talking to. We'd still be persisting with that gameplan and a match committee selecting players to that end.

Scary.