Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Karmichael Hunt charged with supplying cocaine

How is that possible? To have cocaine and no conviction recorded?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    The vast, vast number of cases at court don't recieve a conviction. More so if you have access to good lawyers.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Good legal representation.

And he probably cooperated fully with the police.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Dishing out criminal records to people for first offences in drug possession wouldn't achieve anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    story continues here
    Well, let's hope he has learnt his lesson...and I don't mean that he changes his modus operandi and employs a flunkie to carry for him.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

6. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Dishing out criminal records to people for first offences in drug possession wouldn't achieve anything.
    Disagree, the knowledge that no conviction will be recorded for a first possession offence is a massive green light! Might not help him but certainly could help deter from risking their future getting involved in illicit substances.

The rationale of, "oh well I can get caught once, nothing will happen, then I'll stop" would not be uncommon, but as we all know by that stage it is all too late!

Post Thanks / Like

Think it's crazy myself to get a conviction for a first offence.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    Disagree, the knowledge that no conviction will be recorded for a first possession offence is a massive green light! Might not help him but certainly could help deter from risking their future getting involved in illicit substances.

The rationale of, "oh well I can get caught once, nothing will happen, then I'll stop" would not be uncommon, but as we all know by that stage it is all too late!
    Giving anyone unlucky enough to get caught with drugs a criminal record (and lets face it, enough people have used drugs that it would be a case of bad luck rather than an issue of moral character) will not help them. The impact it would have on the prospects of a young person could be devastating

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd say being found guilty gives you a criminal record. A conviction is a kin to having the guilt stamped on one's forehead.

The aspect of 'conviction' forces the person to declare the offence the authorities or organisations, such as applying for certain jobs or trying to get passports or entry into foreign countries. So a 'conviction' on top of a finding of guilt in Hunts case may have prohibited him from travelling to many countries in his work. But if say an insurance company asks him as he been found guilty of a criminal offence in the last 5 years, he would need to answer yes.

Whether you agree or disagree, I just thought Id try to explain the difference.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Just thought I'd say being found guilty gives you a criminal record. A conviction is a kin to having the guilt stamped on one's forehead.

The aspect of 'conviction' forces the person to declare the offence the authorities or organisations, such as applying for certain jobs or trying to get passports or entry into foreign countries. So a 'conviction' on top of a finding of guilt in Hunts case may have prohibited him from travelling to many countries in his work. But if say an insurance company asks him as he been found guilty of a criminal offence in the last 5 years, he would need to answer yes.

Whether you agree or disagree, I just thought Id try to explain the difference.
    As the great philosopher Rocky Balboa once said when asked in a job interview if he had a criminal record- "nothing worth bragging about".
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Giving anyone unlucky enough to get caught with drugs a criminal record (and lets face it, enough people have used drugs that it would be a case of bad luck rather than an issue of moral character) will not help them. The impact it would have on the prospects of a young person could be devastating
    I understand your point but it is this thought process that green lights people into trying out these things (I am no prude and have used the discussed substance myself in the past, not proud of it). And you know why, because I knew there were no real repercussions.

You say it is unlucky to get caught with drugs, I feel you are missing the point, I think looking back many addicts would say the were unlucky not to get caught as it may have saved them before they got in too deep. If the impacts of a conviction could be devastating isn't that deterrent right there?

As we have all heard with the ice epidemic, people can become addicted in 2 to 3 tries of the stuff, do we really want people to have the ability to try this stuff without any fear of conviction?

Post Thanks / Like

Legal or not, people will try it.

This topic to me is not suitable for this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really worried that with all the financial hardship that has been dealt out to Harmichael over this incident, if he has any debts and he has trouble paying them off, it could get really ugly for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if some of the people that he has been associating with happen to have some trouble with the law, they might infer that he did some sort of deal and it could get pretty serious for him again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I'm really worried that with all the financial hardship that has been dealt out to Harmichael over this incident, if he has any debts and he has trouble paying them off, it could get really ugly for him.
    He could always sell some cocaine to make ends meet.