Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Olympian pre-season effort to hold Bulldogs in good stead

Link

(Photo: Darrian Traynor/AFL Media)

Expect the Western Bulldogs players to be much fitter this season, thanks largely to the work of Olympian Craig Mottram.

The retired Australian long-distance runner has worked extensively with the Bulldogs throughout the pre-season, refining their running techniques and giving them an insight into competing at an elite level of sport.

Mottram, who won silver in the 5000m at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and bronze in same event at the 2005 world championships, said he had been impressed with the dedication the Bulldogs players had shown in improving their endurance bases this pre-season.

"Running is a pretty simple sport, but not many people do it well," Mottram told AFL.com.au.

"When people find it hard that's when everything goes out the window and they forget the simple things.

"It's just about teaching them (the players) to learn to love it and to not be afraid of a running session."

The twice-a-week sessions have involved individualised coaching, with Mottram splitting the players into two groups.

The older, more experienced players have primarily focused on building on their existing fitness bases and further enhancing their "efficiency of movement".

Meanwhile, Mottram has worked with the younger players to further develop their skill sets.

Mottram has worked closely with Bulldogs high performance manager Justin Cordy in constructing the sessions to fit in with the players' programs and individual needs.

There has been emphasis on both aerobic and anaerobic running, with the sessions comprising fartlek and interval training to better manage players' heart rates and keep them in recognisable fitness zones.

The players meet with Mottram at set times during the week and he joins them in their sessions so that he can offer advice and encouragement while running alongside them.

"With me it's all about getting them to train within themselves and getting them to learn that there's a lot to gain from not smashing yourself," Mottram said.

"I don't expect them to come to me for an hour and then to go home absolutely wrecked."

Mottram has also spoken to the players about his vast experience in athletics, getting the players to understand the commitment needed to become an elite sportsman.

"You can only lean on your talent for so long. You still have to work on it and you still have to train hard," Mottram said.

"It's important to educate them on that side of it and then get them to build good routines so when they progress throughout their careers they've got the foundation in place to continue to develop."

Ruckman Tom Campbell is one Bulldog who has found Mottram's sessions to be invaluable.

The club nominated Campbell as one of the players who has benefited most the training and Mottram endorsed that view, saying he has been impressed with the big man's leadership.

Campbell said he has noticed a distinct improvement in not only his time-trial efforts, but also his in-game and training fitness.

"I was able to build a really great rapport with Craig. He's a really personable guy and a fantastic coach," Campbell said.

"Craig saw me as someone who could push the other guys along and that's been really great for my development this pre-season.

"Some of his stories about his competitions were incredible and you can really draw parallels between his races and our games, and having to dig deep to get the result."

Mottram's program has been deemed a success, following a recent review, and there is scope for him to do more work with the players through the season, next year and into the future.

The Bulldogs open their NAB Challenge campaign against Richmond at the Whitten Oval this Saturday afternoon at 4.40pm.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympian pre-season effort to hold Bulldogs in good stead

Good to see Campbell improving his endurance. I am looking forward to seeing how he develops this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This whole idea of utilising an elite runner is very impressive.

Having been involved in athletics, I am well aware that running correctly is not something that comes naturally to everyone. It can be taught or certainly improved with the right coaching.

Hopefully we see an across the board improvement.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Great initiative by the club, hopefully those that have been unable to run out games in the past will now be able to do so.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Mottram was a top level athlete, good get by the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive speaker that Mottram. I like the points he made.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I remember getting a book as a kid that had about a dozen current players, (it was early 90s) giving youngsters their tips about how they go about things. One of Paul Salmon's tips was to have sessions with a sprint coach to improve your running.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good to see Campbell improving his endurance. I am looking forward to seeing how he develops this year.

Campbell with a tank and getting into space all by himself late in quarters/games is a good thought.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I remember getting a book as a kid that had about a dozen current players, (it was early 90s) giving youngsters their tips about how they go about things. One of Paul Salmon's tips was to have sessions with a sprint coach to improve your running.
    he'd win the 100 metres in four strides. He'd just have to have a running start like they do in the trots.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Cousins was seen as a little slow as a junior and there were doubts whether he'd make it. Spent a lot of time with a sprint coach pre-draft.

Easton Wood had a terrible running style - we completely broke it down and built it back up again last pre-season (VU sports scientists worked overtime) and he was far more durable last year.

I'm glad we're looking at these techniques and getting an edge in the running department. If it helps one player gain a slight speed/endurance advantage (more economical running style) than it's worth it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Campbell with a tank and getting into space all by himself late in quarters/games is a good thought.
    I hope his increased endurance isn't due mainly to the loss of body size, but rather this new training. He's been able to do limited amounts of weights this preseason because of shoulder surgery, and he looks a lot slimmer. Hopefully he's still got his physical presence.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I hope his increased endurance isn't due mainly to the loss of body size, but rather this new training. He's been able to do limited amounts of weights this preseason because of shoulder surgery, and he looks a lot slimmer. Hopefully he's still got his physical presence.
    It's a good point. He has had a fairly limited preseason. Most sessions I've seen him do involved mainly running.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy to see a leaner Tom Campbell this year. Thought he looked very heavy in the legs last year and less mobile.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.