Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  554
Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Sticking up for the needs and wants of the majority and a discriminated against but genuinely entitled minority all at once maybe a couple of moments a year probably isn't a bad thing.

If political statements were being jammed down our throats every week on the banner it would be a bit much I agree, but I personally think this issue is more important than how we commemorate ANZAC Day, everyone lets that pass by without comment.
    Yeah...I don't want to overstate it. I just think we are a broad church with many different views on things. Whose views does the banner represent....Danny McGinlay, the team, the club, it's members? I'm assuming the club because they would have to approve the message.

When it comes to aboriginal reconciliation, I imagine everyone would support the sentiment but there are probably many different views on how it should be achieved. The treaty option is just one of them....but not necessarily the right one in the eyes of many. That's not to say I'm against it but I don't like political views slammed down my throat.

As you say it isn't common practice but I wouldn't like it to become so. There....I think I'm done.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

2. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Sticking up for the needs and wants of the majority and a discriminated against but genuinely entitled minority all at once maybe a couple of moments a year probably isn't a bad thing.

If political statements were being jammed down our throats every week on the banner it would be a bit much I agree, but I personally think this issue is more important than how we commemorate ANZAC Day, everyone lets that pass by without comment.
    It remains a stain on Australia with how the Indigenous population has continually been mistreated.

If the Bullies/AFL can lead the way (like it has with Racism and the Gay issue) then why not? The Indigenous population is over-represented in the AFL and they would expect such backing given the way Adam Goodes was left hung-out (especially by some AFL Commissioners from what I understand).

I saw Easton Wood the other week in the press with an Equality top on, regarding the Gay Rights. Was there an outcry then?

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've positioned ourselves, particularly during Gordon's tenure but also prior, as a culturally progressive club across a host of contemporary social issues.

Support for some form of meaningful constitutional recognition for first nation's people is now a fairly uncontroversial position in the community for anyone not welded to One Nation, the IPA or employed by Rupert Murdoch and neatly dovetails with the the efforts behind Indigenous Round and the league's broader stance on racism.

The league now vets banners by the way so they evidently thought it uncontroversial too.

Of course it's only a small gesture but it's consistent with the above and I continue to be proud of our club for its community mindedness.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    I saw Easton Wood the other week in the press with an Equality top on, regarding the Gay Rights. Was there an outcry then?
    Easton got stuck into the AFL re. gambling advertising as well
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    It remains a stain on Australia with how the Indigenous population has continually been mistreated.

If the Bullies/AFL can lead the way (like it has with Racism and the Gay issue) then why not? The Indigenous population is over-represented in the AFL and they would expect such backing given the way Adam Goodes was left hung-out (especially by some AFL Commissioners from what I understand).

Don't know if you caught Q&A last night but they featured representatives of the three day Indigenous Conference conducted at Uluru where they formulated their position on constitutional reform. It was very interesting and I'm always impressed by Noel Pearson's articulate and pragmatic take on indigenous issues. I'm not a fan of Q&A normally but the way they conducted the discussion last night was helpful and appropriate.

What was of most interest to me was that the conference decided that whilst there was a desire for a treaty, their preferred approach was to achieve constitutional change by the establishment of an indigenous advisory board to the parliament......formalised in the constitution. Once that is established they will be in a position to push for a range of formal agreements....which may include a treaty in whatever form they desire.

This goes to my point about political messages on our banner. I have no problem with messages of a general nature....including the push for indigenous recognition and reconciliation. In the case of the banner on Saturday, they specifically called for a "treaty now" which is not even consistent with the position reached at the Indigenous Conference. Our intentions are honourable but I think calls for specific action is a step too far. I'm not a fan of just wanting to seem to be doing the right thing.

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the banner writer is just a big Yothu Yindi fan?

11. Likes strebla, Scraggers, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that we are on the front foot with these things but I dont believe the Aboriginal community are united on this decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Don't know if you caught Q&A last night but they featured representatives of the three day Indigenous Conference conducted at Uluru where they formulated their position on constitutional reform. It was very interesting and I'm always impressed by Noel Pearson's articulate and pragmatic take on indigenous issues. I'm not a fan of Q&A normally but the way they conducted the discussion last night was helpful and appropriate.

What was of most interest to me was that the conference decided that whilst there was a desire for a treaty, their preferred approach was to achieve constitutional change by the establishment of an indigenous advisory board to the parliament......formalised in the constitution. Once that is established they will be in a position to push for a range of formal agreements....which may include a treaty in whatever form they desire.

This goes to my point about political messages on our banner. I have no problem with messages of a general nature....including the push for indigenous recognition and reconciliation. In the case of the banner on Saturday, they specifically called for a "treaty now" which is not even consistent with the position reached at the Indigenous Conference. Our intentions are honourable but I think calls for specific action is a step too far. I'm not a fan of just wanting to seem to be doing the right thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I like that we are on the front foot with these things but I dont believe the Aboriginal community are united on this decision.
    I'm not going to get into this too deeply but as far as I can gather, and I've been following this for many years, is that the establishment of an Indigenous Advisory Board ratified in the constitution forms one of the four core requirements of a treaty. This is step 3 'Representation'. A permanent national Aboriginal body. In short, a number of Aboriginal leaders making decisions for Aboriginal people.

It would be good to get the thread back to discussing the Bulldogs rather than philosophical ideologies.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not going to get into this too deeply but as far as I can gather, and I've been following this for many years, is that the establishment of an Indigenous Advisory Board ratified in the constitution forms one of the four core requirements of a treaty. This is step 3 'Representation'. A permanent national Aboriginal body. In short, a number of Aboriginal leaders making decisions for Aboriginal people.

It would be good to get the thread back to discussing the Bulldogs rather than philosophical ideologies.
    The thread is about the banner and the messages we put on it. Anyway...I've had my say. Back to discussing Bailey Dale eh?
    Over and out.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    The thread is about the banner and the messages we put on it. Anyway...I've had my say. Back to discussing Bailey Dale eh?
    Over and out.
    Ha ha no worries. Bailey Dale yes there's a foot in mouth topic for me. Let's hope the upwards trend continues otherwise it's 'Dale, off, McLean on!'
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not his best effort to be honest...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Not his best effort to be honest...
    I think I read there was a competition to come up with the banner, was it for this game?
    It seems like the type of thing you see people write on FB when having a crack at a banner for the competitions (which mirrors the traditional "talk about beating the other team in a rhyme" style). Doesn't seem like Danny's work.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be honest in stating I am still not over the McGovern dive/falsified Adelaide medical report (it is at least one or the other, if not both) and I think we should break ranks and target Adelaide this week in our banner. Something like:

We're here to turn our season around,
    We'll beat Carlton anywhere in any weather.
    Just on a bit of a tangent folks,
    Is Mitch McGovern made of feathers?
    #freeeaston

And when we play Adelaide next just a huge picture of Mitch's face photoshopped on someone about to dive in the Olympics, or this:
    Wu Minxia
    GuoJingjing
    Fu Mingxia
    Greg Louganis
    Mitch McGovern
    -World's Greatest Divers.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 14-07-2017 at 04:03 PM.

22. Likes always right, Twodogs, WBFC4FFC, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this banter on twitter:

Danny McGinlay
    @dannymcginlay
    5h5 hours agoMore

Shout out to the Bombers fan who just yelled "hey bannerman... put this on your banner" and flopped out his knob

a reply:

Was it a massive knob Danny?, 'cos if it was like huge-massive, it more then likely was Goddard..
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.