Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a GREAT banner

I just cant understand at all the direction taken with the banners

2. Likes SonofScray, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I just cant understand at all the direction taken with the banners
    Simple. We didn't like our supporters having fun with it, we didn't like the banter with other clubs, their banner musings and their supporters, we didn't like the attention of footy shows showing our banners and therefore promoting our club, we didn't like Danny getting out there beating the drum for the club, we didn't like being associated as a club and membership with a sense of humour, we didn't being pioneers to first think of something, we didn't generally like knowing the footy world liked us for being something other than their 'second team'.

So now we've tackled the really serious issues at the club (Danny's banners), we can move onto less pressing ones like our putrid skills, inability to kick straight at goal, or to even kick goals, why our tactics are embarrassingly bad, why we've signed players we don't select, why list is in the shape it is, why our coaching unit is stale and how in 32 games with gone from premiers to literally being unable to score for halves of footy. Good we have our priorities straight.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes G-Mo77, Twodogs, HOSE B ROMERO, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, cop that Danny. I bet he will never offer to help the club again!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Simple. We didn't like our supporters having fun with it, we didn't like the banter with other clubs, their banner musings and their supporters, we didn't like the attention of footy shows showing our banners and therefore promoting our club, we didn't like Danny getting out there beating the drum for the club, we didn't like being associated as a club and membership with a sense of humour, we didn't being pioneers to first think of something, we didn't generally like knowing the footy world liked us for being something other than their 'second team'.

So now we've tackled the really serious issues at the club (Danny's banners), we can move onto less pressing ones like our putrid skills, inability to kick straight at goal, or to even kick goals, why our tactics are embarrassingly bad, why we've signed players we don't select, why list is in the shape it is, why our coaching unit is stale and how in 32 games with gone from premiers to literally being unable to score for halves of footy. Good we have our priorities straight.
    But beside that you are happy with the club.

We need to stay positive - listen to Marcus here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I simply cannot understand the decision to stop Danny doing the banners. I would really love to hear the explanation from someone inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I simply cannot understand the decision to stop Danny doing the banners. I would really love to hear the explanation from someone inside.
    That's part of the problem I think. There are people in the club who are responsible for communications thinking that they have explained it sufficiently.

A lot of our problem is our communications/media people are just rubbish at what they do. They seem incapable of getting a message across. God knows what they do in their office all day.

Post Thanks / Like

But there must be a reason behind the official reason -- did they think the club was being mocked? Did they think Danny was getting too big for his boots or something? Did he take the piss out of the wrong person? I just don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    But there must be a reason behind the official reason -- did they think the club was being mocked? Did they think Danny was getting too big for his boots or something? Did he take the piss out of the wrong person? I just don't get it.

All those questions illustrate my point perfectly. Greystache is right, it's like the club is going out of its way to be more mediocre by the week. I can only think that a Stalinist faction has taken control of the board and declared a pogrom on the club. As a result nobody is willing to stand out

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reckon someone new came in and wanted to put their thumb print on things so made change for the sake of it.

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't be a surprise to me if it was a head office thing, to be honest.

Anything that isn't entirely vanilla makes them uncomfortable. Everything about the AFL experience that is already vanilla is in the firing line for being watered down further.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the club stopped being comfortable with being cheeky once we went from being premiers to being shit again.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

We led the field in our communications which were refreshing, quirky and emotional and now we are bland and forgettable. A big mistake for a small club like ours to lose one of our points of difference.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Worse still is opposition teams are having a dig at us on their banners and our response is some vanilla slogan or meaningless platitude. We seem determined to be as forgettable off the field as we have become on the field. I'm at a loss to understand how we've gone backwards so far so fast in so many areas. Even more baffling is we seem to have made it our number one objective as a club.
    Don't forget boring as well, I've never been to a season like this where I actually have to persuade myself to attend games because I have not enjoyed anything that we have put out there. At least when Danny was doing the banner it felt like he was the fans connection with the club, removing that link just drives another wedge of doubt as to what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's part of the problem I think. There are people in the club who are responsible for communications thinking that they have explained it sufficiently.

A lot of our problem is our communications/media people are just rubbish at what they do. They seem incapable of getting a message across. God knows what they do in their office all day.
    No one wants to communicate why they got rid of someone,

If it can be swept under the carpet then their decision is then justified, but if a backlash occurs then it lets then know they made two bad decisions.

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Start winning games and all the negativity will be trivial.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.