Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
Page 11 of 284 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't think we botched the trade as badly as some of you.

We were never going to secure the Hawks first round pick, and they were never going to trade out a player worthy of a first round pick in order to use it in the Lake trade.

Sure, we could have postured for higher ground and seen a significant portion of the trade period move on by but that could have resulted in us missing Stevens and securing a dud in the eventual deal.
    We actually got their first and second round pick in exchange for Lake and our second round pick.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We actually got their first and second round pick in exchange for Lake and our second round pick.
    Whoops, I should have double checked before I tried to make that point I botched!

Post Thanks / Like

Respectfully agree to disagree. The swapping of 2nd round picks was unnecessarily generous - we could have got pick 21 for Lake on its own, kept pick 27 and then got Stevens for our 3rd round pick which was only a few spots after Hawthorn's 2nd round pick.

All academic.

5. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh the addition of pick 27 definitely weighted the trade in Hawthorn's favour.

We can say that we underestimated Lake's ability to contribute in the last three years, but I would argue his best games were finals each year. Mid-season he just scraped along, and if he had stayed with us that would be the consistent output we could have expected.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the problem is if you try and 'win' every trade no ones going to want to deal with you. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you pay overs, it's the nature of the beast.

Lake was a cracking trade(if Hrovat hangs around on goes onto being a long term doggie)
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess the problem is if you try and 'win' every trade no ones going to want to deal with you. Sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you pay overs, it's the nature of the beast.

Lake was a cracking trade(if Hrovat hangs around on goes onto being a long term doggie)
    Agree with comments on trade. Best ones are where everyone walks away a little stronger, by trading players/picks that are a better fit.

If Lake comes back to us for a successful year and Hrovat gives us another 100+ games (or we trade him for someone who does), the Lake/Hrovat trade will have to go down as a success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post

Yep. It's the price of doing business.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason Tutt is in my office as we type. I could literally follow him if you guys want.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes bulldogtragic, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Jason Tutt is in my office as we type. I could literally follow him if you guys want.
    Ask him if he regrets wanting out at the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you ask him why he left? Inside scoop on Macca and Shocktober would be good too?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Absolutely correct in the Griffen scenario but how on earth can you conclude we were in a weak position on day 1 of a 3 week trade period with the Lake scenario? There was no negotiation - we simply accepted the first ambit claim offered to us. We had the commodity that the other party was desperate for - Clarko just lost the 2011 PF by a kick and the 2012 GF by a kick and was not prepared to wait around for another 12 months to fix up his defence. Lake was now or never for them - we knew this and yet we made it awfully easy for them to get him.
    I'm with you Sedat. It's all water under the bridge now...... but the first day of a 3 week negotiation window?
    I'm 99% certain we could have got a better deal out of the hawks. It's the swap of picks that is the sticking point for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Can you ask him why he left? Inside scoop on Macca and Shocktober would be good too?
    Didn't get a chance to ask him anything, but I think we all know why he left.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't get a chance to ask him anything, but I think we all know why he left.
    That weird long stalker like stare you game him the whole time he was at your work?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That weird long stalker like stare you game him the whole time he was at your work?
    Why he left the coffee room maybe, but not the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Adam Cooney's Twitter profile had him not as an AFL footballer, but in "client relations", with "Podium Finance". Preparing for post footy life, obviously. The company also features Tom Williams, Mark Austin and director Rick Olarenshaw. Coons was at Tommy's wedding, along with a who's who of former Bulldogs.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]