Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,172
Page 59 of 287 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Liam Jones. Doing it the hard way.
    And now he's being talked up yet again...

Liam Jones set for senior recall at Carlton after strong VFL performances in defence

A MOVE into defence has been the catalyst for Carlton’s Liam Jones to revitalise his career, with the maligned 26-year-old set to break back into the senior fold after the club’s bye.

Jones, who started his career as a forward, has managed only 17 games and kicked just 16 goals for the Blues since signing a much criticised three-year contract with the club in 2014.

However, a move into the backline with the Northern Blues this season has seen the former Bulldog kickstart his career, with AFL great Gerard Healy leading the calls for his senior return.

Jones most recently had the match-up on St Kilda forward Josh Bruce, who was dropped to the VFL a fortnight ago, keeping the high profile Saint to just one goal and three marks.

It was a best on ground display from the Carlton man, who had 30 disposals and took 15 marks himself — eight of which were intercepts.

Set to earn a recall to the senior side in place of the injured Sam Rowe ahead of its clash with North Melbourne last week, Jones then tweaked his ankle and was unavailable.

However, his strong VFL form is likely to see him back in the team after the club’s bye when the Blues take on the Giants in Round 12.

And, according to Healy, he has earned his opportunity.

“This could potentially be an amazing story in football,” Healy told 3AW Radio.

“If you ask anybody in the footy world, his career was dead, buried, over. But in the last four weeks, he’s been moved from the forwardline to the backline and he may very well be one of those geniuses that are failed forwards who become backmen.

“Last week he absolutely smashed Josh Bruce — he had 30 disposals, 16 spoils and eight intercept marks along with 16 intercept possessions.

“His career is over — unless someone looks at the numbers and says ‘I’m going to give him another chance.’

“Liam Jones was gone. But he might be just arriving.”
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/liam...eb43b985462bdb
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cmon! You can eck this Liam, get another contract from Carlton!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

All the commentators calling for his return do not actually watch VFL. Would be a good story if he can turn it around though.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones would certainly be suited in defence, where he is the one coming over the top to mark/spoil.

No need for him to run under the ball to avoid the contact from behind.

His big issue will be the amount of repeat efforts he needs to make.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he is finally maturing. But as usual with Liam, it's a big jump from VFL to AFL. Would like to see how he goes with a few AFL games in defence. It's all mental hurdles with him

Post Thanks / Like

I would actually be thrilled if he could reinvent himself as a backman. He could always take a mark.

8. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally its during pre-season that these sort of articles come up about Jones year after year. I wouldn't be putting too much weight into his game on Josh Bruce. He only had 1 kick against Footscray on the weekend. Horribly out of form.

Post Thanks / Like

I would actually be thrilled if he could reinvent himself as a backman. He could always take a mark.
    As would I.

We will always be left to wonder whether Bevo might have been able to work some magic had he stayed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As would I.

We will always be left to wonder whether Bevo might have been able to work some magic had he stayed.
    Didn't know Bevo could turn shit into strawberry jam.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever happens, I am happy with Caleb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Whatever happens, I am happy with Caleb
    LJ a defender? Based on recent form, Caleb can spoil as well.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney have played 36 games going back to last year. Michael Talia has played 1 game of the 36. I wonder if he can eck out a year anywhere. I hope not.

To put it in perspective, Talia has played as many AFL games for Sydney as he's had drug arrests since being recruited by Sydney. He's had as many court appearances on drugs charges, as he's played AFL games since being recruited by Sydney. Or, assuming he's on about minimum wage, he's banked over $300,000 in wages over 18 months for AFL: 10 disposals, 3 marks & 1 tackle > $30,000 per disposal, or, $100,000 per mark, or, $300,000 per tackle.

Shit bloke getting just rewards, with a career ending shortly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    And now he's being talked up yet again...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/liam...eb43b985462bdb
    Article conveniently leaving out the 7 he had kicked on him against Port Melbourne.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Maybe he is finally maturing. But as usual with Liam, it's a big jump from VFL to AFL. Would like to see how he goes with a few AFL games in defence. It's all mental hurdles with him
    Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    As would I.

He will always be Footscray premiership hero Liam Jones to me.

Liam was the centrepiece of one of my favorite days at the footy ever and I will love him forever for it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

17. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He will always be Footscray premiership hero Liam Jones to me.

Liam was the centrepiece of one of my favorite days at the footy ever and I will love him forever for it.
    "He's gonna go for the open goalsquare. It's straight through the middle! Liam Jones is a hero right now!"