Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Enough with the Boyd questions: Beveridge

Link

QUESTIONS about Tom Boyd's effectiveness so early in the season are starting to wear a little thin, says Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge.

Boyd was well contained by West Coast defender Jeremy McGovern in the Bulldogs' 10-point win over the Eagles last Saturday night. The 19-year-old top-dollar forward finished with just 11 disposals, two marks and a goal.

But Beveridge did not see it that way. The coach said Boyd's contests allowed the Dogs' nippy forwards to use forward pressure and create goal-scoring opportunities. The club finished with a round-high 94 tackles.

"To be honest, the Boydy questions are getting a bit tired. Everytime I get asked I keep mentioning what we want is a contest from him," Beveridge said on Friday.

"If you saw the game, that's what he gave us. Our forward pressure and everything that we achieved in our front half can be attributed a hell of a lot to Tom Boyd.

"Yeah, he took one contested mark, but he created opportunities for his teammates. If we get that again this week, that's going to be a real positive for us."

There has been a lot of interest in Boyd after he left Greater Western Sydney to join the Bulldogs on a seven-year deal worth more than $6 million, making him the club's marquee player.

However, Beveridge said the club was prepared to play the waiting game and was not expecting immediate results.

Beveridge stressed patience with Boyd. "That's a given."

Boyd is set for another tough battle against 2014 All Australian defender Alex Rance when the Dogs meet Richmond at the MCG on Saturday afternoon.

But Beveridge warned Rance that he better be switched on from the outset.

"That'll be challenging because Alex is a very good player and it's another learning opportunity for Tom. There's no doubt his teammates will need to help him," Beveridge said.

"But he's a big man, Boydy, and he's a handful, so Alex will need to be on his game."

The Bulldogs have recalled 204cm forward/ruckman Ayce Cordy for the clash against the Tigers at the expense of Jack Redpath.

Cordy, 24, has kicked 13 goals in 20 games for the Dogs, but has yet to establish himself at AFL level due to inconsistent form and injuries.

Cordy is out of contract at the end of the season but Beveridge refuted claims that this season was 'now or never' for him.

"He deserves to come in and I expect him to play well in the ruck and forward and really start to build his 2015," Beveridge said.

"If you think of the way he's performing at VFL level and consider that he's had some issues with his body over the journey, there's no reason why his career can't start to blossom."

"We'll still give him some time … I've got every belief him and I think he'll go really well against Richmond."

Young midfielder Lachie Hunter is now available for selection after serving a four-week, club-imposed suspension for turning up late to a training session.

The 20-year-old was also cleared by the AFL in a betting inquiry after it was revealed a Footscray VFL player had accessed his account to place a wager on the club's NAB Challenge clash against the Tigers in February.

"Lachie has had a period of his footy life where certain circumstances have taught him different things and maybe hastened his learning a little bit," Beveridge said.

"He'll only be a better person and a better player for it."

Last edited by bornadog; 10-04-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Enough with the Boyd questions: Beveridge

I am sick of hearing journos bring it up as well, but I bet they don't stop.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We've gotta expect that though. His salary is a talking point and journos will be circling like sharks for positive or negative news. Mainly negative most of our sport journos are just gutter rats looking for dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs out to make statement against Richmond, coach Luke Beveridge says

The pressure is on for Cordy, must play a big game tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am sick of hearing journos bring it up as well, but I bet they don't stop.
    Why would they?

It was the biggest story in footy during the trade period and his contract is an industry first for such an unproven player.

The blow-torch will continue to shine on Boyd.

Post Thanks / Like

Let them ask. Just ignore it and look for the next question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Western Bulldogs out to make statement against Richmond, coach Luke Beveridge says

The pressure is on for Cordy, must play a big game tomorrow.
    Surely Ayce is merely expected to play his role. Not sure anyone expects him to suddenly be the player.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo should take this guy's approach to pressers. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...on-t-get-fined
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

He better get used to it as it's going to be asked for a lot of years.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem may come if Cordy does well, Redpath is tearing it up in the twos and Boyd has games like Redpath had last week.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Problem may come if Cordy does well, Redpath is tearing it up in the twos and Boyd has games like Redpath had last week.
    Well then Boyd gets dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

The more questions about Boyd the better as far as I am concerned.

No-one says you have to answer the questions. Just reading from a script that points out how exciting it is that the player acknowledged as the best junior in the nation decided to move to our club to play with Jack Macrae/Jake Stringer/Bont whoever might become a boring answer but I would be trotting it out every single time. I would be reminding them how exciting it is that all of those young players are signed through to at least the end of 2018 and that would be a good time to assess the development of Tom.

Remind them of the coaching he is receiving (pump up the assistants) and the way the leadership group is assisting in his continued improvement and just keep regurgitating it. Everyone will get bored eventually. OR...he will play like Buddy has in Sydney over the last 12-months and everyone will forget that he is being paid a lot of money and just marvel at how well he is playing.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Thanks Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Bulldog Joe, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The more questions about Boyd the better as far as I am concerned.

No-one says you have to answer the questions. Just reading from a script that points out how exciting it is that the player acknowledged as the best junior in the nation decided to move to our club to play with Jack Macrae/Jake Stringer/Bont whoever might become a boring answer but I would be trotting it out every single time. I would be reminding them how exciting it is that all of those young players are signed through to at least the end of 2018 and that would be a good time to assess the development of Tom.

Remind them of the coaching he is receiving (pump up the assistants) and the way the leadership group is assisting in his continued improvement and just keep regurgitating it. Everyone will get bored eventually. OR...he will play like Buddy has in Sydney over the last 12-months and everyone will forget that he is being paid a lot of money and just marvel at how well he is playing.
    "Thank you for asking. I can't overstate how exciting it is to walk out to take training and see the no 1 rated junior in the country looking back at me...blah, blah, blah....great junior develpment...Play with Stringer, Macrae and Botempelii...blah, blah"

That sort of answer.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the way he protects the player . Very Mick Malthouse.
    He's a blue chip investment

17. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    "Thank you for asking. I can't overstate how exciting it is to walk out to take training and see the no 1 rated junior in the country looking back at me...blah, blah, blah....great junior develpment...Play with Stringer, Macrae and Botempelii...blah, blah"

That sort of answer.
    We should go full Marshawn Lynch.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -