Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith's return adds to Bulldogs' feelgood factor

Link

Clay Smith feels the best he has in a long time, simply because he's been able to say, "I'm playing this week."

The Western Bulldogs' upbeat early season will receive another injection of good news on Saturday when their forgotten midfielder makes his return from a second knee reconstruction as Footscray unveils its VFL premiership flag at Whitten Oval. The 21-year-old says he feels "awesome", and ready to go.

"(I've) probably been ready to go for a little while, but we've just given it a little bit longer than the last time just because it's a recurrence, just been on the safer side and making sure that when I'm ready to go that it's properly right," Smith said of the right knee he reinjured midway through a horror 2014.

"The strength in it, it just feels awesome. I'm confident, so are the physios, they're gonna let the reins off this weekend which is nice."

Smith was playing last year eight months after a first reconstruction, but was immediately hit by salmonella poisoning and then needed a shoulder reconstruction. He was best afield in his first two games back in the VFL but suffered the heartbreak of another ACL injury.

"At the start it was difficult to deal with just after the year that I'd had, with all the other little hiccups, it just felt like nothing was going right," Smith said. "(But) once you deal with it, knuckle back down and get into the club again, do the rehab ...

"Luckily I'd done one before. I've dealt with it a lot better this time, knowing the things I can push. Nothing's gone wrong, touch wood. It feels great."

The tough on-baller might have featured in the Bulldogs' NAB Challenge games but a cautious approach was adopted. He says he'll attack Saturday like he does every game, giving no thought to the misfortune that's befallen him in a career thus far restricted to 31 games.

"As soon as I cross the line, I generally don't think about that too much, as soon as you do if you pull out something might happen. I've grown up playing the way that I play, that's just how I am.

"Hopefully no more injuries, but you just can't control those things. There's people who've had a few and there's some that don't. I just hope that's the last for me."

A first-round draft pick, he has been emboldened by the Bulldogs' eye-catching start to 2015 driven by a young midfield that he's desperate to break back into.

"Bevo's (coach Luke Beveridge) brought in just a new, fresh bit of life. Everyone's taken to that. It's a fresh start for everyone, we've grasped the new game style and it's paying dividends.

"Everyone's happy at the moment, and that makes it harder to watch I reckon, when the boys are doing so well. I really want to be a part of it, but I'll bide my time. I can't wait to get back and play some footy with them and share the success."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay Smith's return adds to Bulldogs' feelgood factor

Looking forward to seeing Clay back, he's a gun when he's fit.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This. Imagine picking up a contested footy only to see Smith and Stringer in one's peripheral vision. Hurt would be the next thing you feel.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Yep and fits nicely into Bevo's multiple positions mantra. Hopefully he gets a good spell of VFL footy under his belt before making his way back into the senior team.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing Clay all the best, he has had a torrid time in the past 18 months with injuries. Can't wait to see him back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This. Imagine picking up a contested footy only to see Smith and Stringer in one's peripheral vision. Hurt would be the next thing you feel.
    One of the track watchers a while back said Smith is the guy who other genuinely don't like dueling with in the contested drills.
    I still think he's a psychopath based on his eyes & attack on the football.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he has a good run at it.

Gives us a real contested ball animal who will be very important in the second half of the season as we start to feel the pinch.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news for Clay, the club and its supporters. Lets hope he gets an injury free run in the AFL now. I believe he is an important cog to help us push back up the ladder.

Post Thanks / Like

Gutted I am working on Saturday, I'd have gone down to watch Clay's return alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Clay, glad to have you off the leash again.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Welcome back Clay, glad to have you off the leash again.
    This.
    Clay always reminds me of the quote from Clubber Lang-aka Mr.T,when asked by a reporter what he predicted for the fight against Rocky Balboa(Sly Stallone:
    "What do I predict??
    I predict PAIN"
    Welcome back Clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news. It will be great to get clay back into the senior team eventually. He must be champing at the bit to get black out on the field.
    Good luck Clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Clay, he has been chanting at the bit for a couple of weeks now and hopefully he holds a little back and just eases into it.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

A contested ball animal who kicks goals = yes please.
    Has the potential to make us a better side immediately and when he is in form and fit just seems so omnipresent out on the field.
    Crossed fingers for him and will watch his game with interest, and a little trepidation.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    A contested ball animal who kicks goals = yes please.
    Has the potential to make us a better side immediately and when he is in form and fit just seems so omnipresent out on the field.
    Crossed fingers for him and will watch his game with interest, and a little trepidation.

If I could design a replacement for Tom Liberatore, it would be Clay Smith.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite