Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs 'not moving aside' for soccer Grand Final

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    So would the game the previous evening need to be moved also if it takes that much to get the ground up to standard? If so I definitely can't see AFL and FFA coming to terms.
    No, it's easily done over night.

Plus with the digital signage it's not so much a manual process anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    So would the game the previous evening need to be moved also if it takes that much to get the ground up to standard? If so I definitely can't see AFL and FFA coming to terms.
    They could do it in that time frame I imagine, although the ground would still look like crap with all the AFL sponsors painted over.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    but I don't want to go to Geelong. I bought two reserved seats for the year (have done so since Docklands built) so why should I be inconvenienced just because a rival competition can't book a stadium.
    Fair enough. I also have two seats, like you on level 2 and wouldn't mind going to Geelong for one game.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

It would have to be very good offer for us to move the game to Geelong. I'd be looking for 300K plus profits from the game.
    I really like that we have linked our reasons for not wanting to move the game to our premiership points ambitions. The onus is on someone coming in with a substantial offer to now change our mind.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    AFL should not give into soccer. They could have booked the ground but they didn't.
    It is Footy season now, let the A league work it out $$$.

PS. As you can tell l dont care for soccer.
    Oh god soccer... What? Does Bont like it?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a near perfect scenario for us, and here is why:

Firstly we are playing a game that is expected to attract a small crowd. lets be honest Freo have less supporters than a bucket of hot chips here in Melbourne.
    We need a great media spin to move the game, so that the AFL doesnt lose face.

So lets move the game to the WO.
    • The A-Leauge can spend 200k on making the ground temporarily match suitable, and pay us another 300k for the inconvenience.
    • The AFL "wins" as they can spin it as a hark back to the suburban footy etc, the media will get a kick out of it.
    • Us supporters will love it
    • We will have a huge home ground advantage.
    • We will make a stack of coin on merch/food

And best of all we get to have a real "Home game"

7. Likes Twodogs, N/A, Scraggers, Eastdog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    This is a near perfect scenario for us, and here is why:

Firstly we are playing a game that is expected to attract a small crowd. lets be honest Freo have less supporters than a bucket of hot chips here in Melbourne.
    We need a great media spin to move the game, so that the AFL doesnt lose face.

So lets move the game to the WO.
    • The A-Leauge can spend 200k on making the ground temporarily match suitable, and pay us another 300k for the inconvenience.
    • The AFL "wins" as they can spin it as a hark back to the suburban footy etc, the media will get a kick out of it.
    • Us supporters will love it
    • We will have a huge home ground advantage.
    • We will make a stack of coin on merch/food

And best of all we get to have a real "Home game"
    I really like this thinking. Probably not quite practical on such short notice, but a great opportunity to push the WO's longer term prospects as a boutique alternative. Has anyone noticed just how far the goals have been brought in from the old configuration? The WO was the longest ground in the VFL back in the day. It was also very narrow. Now with only Etihad and the G really used in Melbourne, the club has shortened and widened the WO playing surface.

This means that the embankment on the Hawkins wing is very narrow, but there is huge space in the drill hall pocket. Were we to bring the fence in at that end, a big stand could be build. Ditto the Mt Mistake pocket. Not to mention behind both goals.

The result would be a 15,000 - 20,000 capacity venue. The city skyline would still be visible over the outer wing. A made for TV venue.
    This is a great opportunity for the club to leverage some airtime for the discussion.

9. Likes Twodogs, Scraggers, Eastdog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I really like this thinking. Probably not quite practical on such short notice, but a great opportunity to push the WO's longer term prospects as a boutique alternative. Has anyone noticed just how far the goals have been brought in from the old configuration? The WO was the longest ground in the VFL back in the day. It was also very narrow. Now with only Etihad and the G really used in Melbourne, the club has shortened and widened the WO playing surface.

This means that the embankment on the Hawkins wing is very narrow, but there is huge space in the drill hall pocket. Were we to bring the fence in at that end, a big stand could be build. Ditto the Mt Mistake pocket. Not to mention behind both goals.

The result would be a 15,000 - 20,000 capacity venue. The city skyline would still be visible over the outer wing. A made for TV venue.
    This is a great opportunity for the club to leverage some airtime for the discussion.
    The Hawkins wing would need to revert back to covered standing room, and seated areas would need to be built at each end.

The former presents probably the biggest challenge of the two. Whilst I think having a standing wing would be a beautiful nod to the past, is anyone sure the AFL would tolerate it?

We've painted ourselves into a corner with the configuration of the members side of the ground, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Oh god soccer... What? Does Bont like it?
    Apparently not.

Post Thanks / Like

Love what your saying Webby. Most likely wont happen but why couldn't we spend the money into the WO say if Ballarat falls through.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Love what your saying Webby. Most likely wont happen but why couldn't we spend the money into the WO say if Ballarat falls through.
    Because we don't have $50 million.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we will be staying put at Etihad with the FFA deciding to play the grand final at AAMI Park should Victory host it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Looks like we will be staying put at Etihad with the FFA deciding to play the grand final at AAMI Park should Victory host it.

Despite its lack of seats the atmosphere for those who do get in should be electric.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Despite its lack of seats the atmosphere for those who do get in should be electric.
    For those that get to go this is a much better arrangement. Aami Park is so far ahead of Etihad as a soccer venue it's ridiculous.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I really like this thinking. Probably not quite practical on such short notice, but a great opportunity to push the WO's longer term prospects as a boutique alternative.
    Paging Lantern...