Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  150
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 5 2015 - Sydney Swans V Western Bulldogs

Our blokes beat a team that had Adam Goodes, Tippet, Franklin, Jack, Hannebury, the blue chip of the AFL. It's unbelievable.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Lin Jong played part of the last quarter with a break in his hand. Out for a couple of weeks which is just so unfortunate for him and the team at the moment. Still gives a chance for Hunter perhaps. You can see Jongy shaking his hand at one stage in the game highlights package but still went on to tackle and smother till the end. God its a tough game these days.
    Brakes his hand and then immediately spikes the ball with the same hand in the ruck contest. Big fan of Jongy even though there were a couple of Koby handballs in his performance on Saturday. At one stage he actually apologised to Macrae after a handball led to Macrae being body slammed by Pyke.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

3. Likes Templeton31, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went up from Canberra to the game with my daughter. Been reading media etc all week so not had a chance to post. As others have said an amazing win and amazing to be there. The thing I noticed at game was we were the ones who were composed, made good decisions and took our chances (although not all of them as Bevo said). Especially that last quarter it was obvious how tired we were and they were gonna run over the top of us. But they didn't. We held firm. Brilliant.

Leaving the ground my daughter (age 7) and I high fived and practically hugged every Doggie fan we came across. They all looked the same as us - stunned, stoked and proud to Be More Bulldog.

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific writing of the supporter experience on Saturday that's well worth a read:

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/round...one-more-song/

6. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog Joe, KT31, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the last two minutes again, just incredible. Guts, determination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    I just watched the last two minutes again, just incredible. Guts, determination.
    What also was incredible, those last two minutes, were played mainly in our half of the ground. We made it very difficult for the Swans to get it up the ground and score the goal they were looking for.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What also was incredible, those last two minutes, were played mainly in our half of the ground. We made it very difficult for the Swans to get it up the ground and score the goal they were looking for.
    Yep - and it's predominantly down to structure.
    I noticed it against the Crows, how quickly our boys would make good position. Any team that hesitates and plays slow football against us will struggle, it's fantastic to watch.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It wasn't just the last 2 minutes either.

The Swans goaled to take the lead with 10.58 remaining on the clock. Everyone was expecting the Bulldogs to be over run, as the Swans had done all the scoring to that point with 2 goals 3 behinds for the quarter. That was just short of the half way mark of that final quarter.

However, the determination and tenacity of the Bulldog spirit was so resilient, that not only were they able to turn the tide, they denied any further scoring for Sydney.

Just sensational.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Brakes his hand and then immediately spikes the ball with the same hand in the ruck contest. Big fan of Jongy even though there were a couple of Koby handballs in his performance on Saturday. At one stage he actually apologised to Macrae after a handball led to Macrae being body slammed by Pyke.
    Yep, watching the replay last night noted Jong doing that immediately after breaking his hand, huge effort.

Can't fault anyone in those last few minutes, it was intense and willing, it was deep September like, and everyone was out on their feet.

On Hrovat, his last quarter was great, but I have noted a couple of errors with his disposal the last few weeks, made a couple of errors on the weekend too, either with his disposal, or choosing to play on immediately perhaps when he shouldn't have and then taking the wrong option. I'm putting it down to having missed a bit of footy and struggling to find the intensity but I hope it isn't a trend as he was a sharp user last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep - and it's predominantly down to structure.
    I noticed it against the Crows, how quickly our boys would make good position. Any team that hesitates and plays slow football against us will struggle, it's fantastic to watch.
    It's been around all season, although deeper in defence.

Watching the Richmond game I was impressed with how well we set up to completely limit their options in the forward half of the ground. If we could slow down their entry, which was helped by Honeychurch and Dickson forcing safe sideways disposals from their opponents, we would set up in such a way that they were either forced really wide or had to keep chipping around using Chaplin or whomever.

The other thing that's really happened often this season has been when one of our players has a mark or free kick another will come and block the man standing the mark to allow us to gain further distance.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

The other thing that's really happened often this season has been when one of our players has a mark or free kick another will come and block the man standing the mark to allow us to gain further distance.
    I have noticed we do this a lot and we also play on regularly from kick-ins to gain the extra 10 to 15 metres for an opportunity to get over the opposition defence.

It seems to help our ball movement a lot.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    On Hrovat, his last quarter was great, but I have noted a couple of errors with his disposal the last few weeks, made a couple of errors on the weekend too, either with his disposal, or choosing to play on immediately perhaps when he shouldn't have and then taking the wrong option. I'm putting it down to having missed a bit of footy and struggling to find the intensity but I hope it isn't a trend as he was a sharp user last year.
    It is quite apparent isn't it. He appears to be rushing too much in his eagerness to move the ball on. His vigour is unquestioned but he will need to continue to work on his composure as his efficiency is hurting us. Youthful exuberance touched with a lack of experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead comprehensively winning the tap to advantage, against Pyke, at the next bounce after the Easton Wood goal was incredibly decisive in this contest. He got it to Jong who got it to Stringer for a shot at goal. This incredibly important moment with about 5 mins to go should not be underestimated. It could happen in a final. Had Cordy been there the overwhelming odds would have been that the swans would have won the clearance and put our defence under siege. Roughead should be our number 1 ruck imo.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It is quite apparent isn't it. He appears to be rushing too much in his eagerness to move the ball on. His vigour is unquestioned but he will need to continue to work on his composure as his efficiency is hurting us. Youthful exuberance touched with a lack of experience.
    I agree, he has been bursting out of his skin and probably lacked composure at times trying to up the anti. however credit where it's due, his composure in the last 10 minutes was quite incredible for one so inexperienced. JJ likewise.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

17. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Agree that he's been unusually ineffective and panicked lately but thought he really turned the corner against Sydney. He was outstanding in the last 10 minutes.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'