Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 5 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Certainly unlike what the Scott brothers would've stood for at Brisbane. I noticed Ziebell and one other remonstrate but there were few others, just a lot of finger pointing to the umpire by Boomer and co. If that was Murphy or Webb you would hope that we would make a stand although unfortunately it does now come at a financial cost to those who get involved which might explain why Harvey didn't take the lead, particularly given his seniority and being the closest to the incident.
    I think I also saw 2 players shaking his hand after the game. The other week against the Crows when Smith kicked a goal every Bulldogs player on the field ran to pat him on the head and congratulated his success. That sort of one in all in approach must also spill over into protecting the captain and any rookie from acts like Swallow experienced.
    It sends a bad message to the competition that North won't rough up a player that does such a cowardly act towards their captain.

Every player should have followed Ziebells and Firitto's lead and the fact that Hodge got off the ground without having his hair roughed up raises some serious doubts about what North stands for.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

May gets more weeks than Lewis. Disgraceful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't get over how little North remonstrated with Luke Hodge after he king hit their captain with a forearm. Not a push or a shove or even a jumper punch but a forearm to the face in such a cowardly manner.
    Hodge shouldn't have been able to leave the field without having every North player cannoning into him throughout the balance of the game and telling him just how truly weak he was. It's unacceptable.

There are a few things that players in a highly competitive and elite team competition should never accept and that is a cowardly act against the captain or a rookie player. If it means someone cops a couple of weeks then that is the price you pay.

I understand that this runs against the grain of what the AFL is trying to do about keeping the code as clean as it can but if Hodge gets anything less that 4 weeks then North haven't done enough to stand up as a club.

Can anyone here justify Norths clear lack of vigour in defending their captain?
    It's not just the captain or the rookies but every player in your colours should be provided that sort of protection I think. Although the rookies should get extra protection I guess.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone here justify Norths clear lack of vigour in defending their captain?
    I remember it being pretty vigorous, after both the Hodge (Swallow) & Lewis (Goldstein) hits. North gave away a few frees being overly physical after the Swallow one as well
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

How the hell does Steven May get the same 3 week penalty as Luke Hodge??!!

The AFL suspension system is a joke. Simply laughable. One guy lays a good, legitimate bump whilst competing for the ball and the other throws a classic, malicious elbow in a guy's face at a stoppage and they both get 3 weeks.

Hodge's effort sparked a brawl and May's effort didn't even raise an eyebrow from any of the opposition players.

On top of that, Jordan Lewis gets 2 weeks for smashing a guy's face in with a late, crude forearm.... Inexplicable. That's what you get when you rely on computers and algorithms rather than discretion and common sense.

7. Likes Drunken Bum, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pathetic. For all the talk of the AFL making it a clean game they end up punishing an poorly executed bump in play as much as a malicious and dangerous hit on an unsuspecting player, and more than a player who comes in whacks a player in a completely vulnerable position in the head.

Ridiculous.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly unlike what the Scott brothers would've stood for at Brisbane. I noticed Ziebell and one other remonstrate but there were few others, just a lot of finger pointing to the umpire by Boomer and co. If that was Murphy or Webb you would hope that we would make a stand although unfortunately it does now come at a financial cost to those who get involved which might explain why Harvey didn't take the lead. Given his seniority and being the closest to the incident it did look ordinary that he didn't go in to fly a flag for his captain.
    Would've thought our old mate Higgo would have been one of the first one's to fly the flag for his new team and Capt?

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree GVGjr, and how condescending was Hodge after the game to Swollow? Patting him on the head like a good little boy...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Would've thought our old mate Higgo would have been one of the first one's to fly the flag for his new team and Capt?
    Members of the Royal Family don't engage in fisticuffs.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

13. Likes hujsh, N/A, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time the Hawks play North they make it a physical contest and target their better players. North shouldn't have accepted that and can't allow it to happen again. They don't have to throw punches but pointing towards the umpire to settle things for them isn't going to work. Clearly the Hawks believe North fold under physical pressure and North cannot allow that perception to continue.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every time the Hawks play North they make it a physical contest and target their better players. North shouldn't have accept that and can't allow it to happen again. They don't have to throw punches but pointing towards the umpire to settle things for them isn't going to work. Clearly the Hawks believe North fold under physical pressure and North cannot allow that perception to continue.
    Maybe it's not a choice with North, that is, do they have it in them to respond in Hawthorn's unsociable style ? Their senior players and leaders such as the likes of Harvey, Thomas, Wells, Dal Santo, Petrie, Goldstein, Swallow , Higgins aren't your Hodge , Roughead or Lewis types. It would seem contrived and frankly not in their make up.

Ziebell's their closest and for mine is where it starts and ends with North for crossing that unsociable line and Hawthorn know it.
    Btw I'm no advocate for what Hodge and Lewis did but unfortunately it does and has worked for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's just hope the media narrative is the same when the tables turn on Hawthorn.
    Absolute joke May gets more than that cheap shot .
    Does anyone really reckon that was tough what Hodge and Lewis did ?
    Hawthorn beat us up legitimately with Physical stuff a few weeks back, but that was crass what they dished up against Norf.
    Apparently Shaun's just reamerged from hiding in the medallion club while the biff was going on

18. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's not a choice with North, that is, do they have it in them to respond in Hawthorn's unsociable style ? Their senior players and leaders such as the likes of Harvey, Thomas, Wells, Dal Santo, Petrie, Goldstein, Swallow , Higgins aren't your Hodge , Roughead or Lewis types. It would seem contrived and frankly not in their make up.

Ziebell's their closest and for mine is where it starts and ends with North for crossing that unsociable line and Hawthorn know it.
    Btw I'm no advocate for what Hodge and Lewis did but unfortunately it does and has worked for them.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight. All players that didn't do something to protect their captain regardless of their size have let the team down. Push him, shove him, tell him he is weak or even threaten that you are going to run through him if the chance arises but just do something that gets the message across to him that the captain cannot be whacked without consequences.
    As for shaking his hand after the game, well that's not something that I would do for someone who king hit the captain.
    The Hawks will line them up again and again unless North draw a line in the sand and they need to do it as a team.

Remember what Carlton did to Mitch Wallis who was tagging Marc Murphy? Every time Murphy went to the forward line and Wallis followed there was Henderson, Waite or others cannoning into Wallis. The end result, a big Carlton win and Wallis sent to Footscray for 4 or 5 weeks to regain form and confidence.

The likes of Mick Martyn and David King couldn't be comfortable with how that played out against Swallow.

Post Thanks / Like

The likes of Mick Martyn and David King couldn't be comfortable with how that played out against Swallow.
    Well King was very disappointed in their response and thinks it will happen again. He believes all top sides will have taken notes. The best player and the captain cop whacks and their response was underwhelming.

Post Thanks / Like

Well King was very disappointed in their response and thinks it will happen again. He believes all top sides will have taken notes. The best player and the captain cop whacks and their response was underwhelming.
    I agree that it's not the size of the dog but it is in part based on the make up of the dog or so to speak. Interestingly King himself said that it wasn't his thing to take it up to the opposition, that it was left to enforcers such as Archer and Martyn. Aside from Ziebell, possibly Firrito, there are few others at North who bring the type of aggression that you speak of and it's not a good look. There's undoubtedly a cultural issue at play, individual over team, but there's a part based on the make up of the list e.g Higgins,Harvey, Dal will never respond like a Stringer or Smith to one of their team mates being felled.

Over more recent years there's been examples where I've felt a number of own senior players could've shown more of this as some of our younger guys have taken hits without consequence. Fortunately our current player mix and the building of a stronger team first culture appears to have addressed this. I do give Macca a lot of credit in this regard.