Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 5 Discussion

All

First time poster, and a North Melbourne aficionado to boot. GVGjnr has perfectly encapsulated the feelings of true North supporters in this thread. The virtual non-response to the two Hawthorn incidents on the weekend was an utter indictment on the playing list.

The article below - written today - now extends that indictment and culpability to the coaching staff.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1227338565486

To quote Brad Scott: “Flying the flag is just crap to be honest,’’ Scott said.

Quite aside from his unimpressive coaching, this sentiment is surely the nail in Scott's proverbial coaching coffin. Can anyone on this forum possible conceive the immortal Ted Whitten or even the emerging and increasingly impressive Luke Beveridge uttering such pacifist nonsense? If I was a young North player, I would be ashamed of my coach publicly speaking in this manner.

During our great run in the 1990s, North's team contained the likes of Carey, Martyn, King, Archer, Stevens, Pike and Schwass. It now contains the likes of Waite, Thomas, Petrie, Tarrant, Higgins and Dal Santo. There is clearly no comparison, in terms of both quality and toughness. The recent recruitment of Waite, Higgins and Dal Santo speaks volumes as to the mismanagement of the list.

The thumping received by Hawthorn on Saturday - both on the scoreboard and the chin - was a reminder of how far we have to go to again become a finals threat. That is one thing. However, it is quite another - and far worse in my view - to now be perceived as a team lacking the physicality underpinning true espirit de corps. It was a terrible thing to lose by 10 goals, but far worse to not have reciprocated in kind when two of our bravest and best soldiers get slapped in the face.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, Greystache, Remi Moses, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roscoe, Scott is in denial if he thinks the Hawks didn't target them and I don't buy in to his comments that "flying the flag is just crap".
    His best player and his captain copped unreasonable whacks largely aimed to intimidate North players in the early part of the game and by their lack of response I think it's a given that it worked.

If this doesn't spur North into having a serious rethink on their core 'on field' values then they will fall short when it counts.

Welcome aboard Roscoe.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Thanks Doc26 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The irony is that during his playing days Scott was a big fan of "flying the flag".

Overrated coach in many, many ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The irony is that during his playing days Scott was a big fan of "flying the flag".

Overrated coach in many, many ways.
    A point not lost on many. Yes the game has evolved but I don't think many North supporters could back the action of the players and now the words from the coach. He might have had to say that in the public arena but if I was a North supporter I'd be hoping he doesn't mean it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Roscoe.

You're quite right. You guys have recruited a bunch of manpoodles.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can't get over how little North remonstrated with Luke Hodge after he king hit their captain with a forearm. Not a push or a shove or even a jumper punch but a forearm to the face in such a cowardly manner.
    Hodge shouldn't have been able to leave the field without having every North player cannoning into him throughout the balance of the game and telling him just how truly weak he was. It's unacceptable.

There are a few things that players in a highly competitive and elite team competition should never accept and that is a cowardly act against the captain or a rookie player. If it means someone cops a couple of weeks then that is the price you pay.

I understand that this runs against the grain of what the AFL is trying to do about keeping the code as clean as it can but if Hodge gets anything less that 4 weeks then North haven't done enough to stand up as a club.

Can anyone here justify Norths clear lack of vigour in defending their captain?
    Hodge has been the ultimate free pass player of the AFL for a very long time.

From the 2008 days and beyond he could get 20 touches as a loose man in defence upon the benefit of the best defensive structure seen to that point in the competition and still get BOG. A bit like Paul Roos in his days at Sydney.

Sure, he now uses it and finishes well, but he's ultimately a player that goes hard and acts like a bully because he's playing in a very good team. Just like many of his ilk, he can take a lot of credit for his team being the dominant one that it is, but really, he'd be only a decent player in a team that wasn't performing well - much like he was when he was struggling with fitness, injury and form prior to 2007.

He should have been given five or six weeks for his act on Swallow. But, because he has a free pass he gets three.

9. Likes Twodogs, Greystache, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North would have called up Higgins to "Sort It" but he was last seen cowering in the medallion club
    It's interesting the talk of them missing Dal Santo, Wells and the like would have made no difference, as they wouldn't have put a mark on Hawthorn physically . Waite would have got reported

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    How the hell does Steven May get the same 3 week penalty as Luke Hodge??!!

The AFL suspension system is a joke. Simply laughable. One guy lays a good, legitimate bump whilst competing for the ball and the other throws a classic, malicious elbow in a guy's face at a stoppage and they both get 3 weeks.

Hodge's effort sparked a brawl and May's effort didn't even raise an eyebrow from any of the opposition players.

On top of that, Jordan Lewis gets 2 weeks for smashing a guy's face in with a late, crude forearm.... Inexplicable. That's what you get when you rely on computers and algorithms rather than discretion and common sense.
    The May suspension is simple. If you decide to bump - even if your only other option results in a goal/potential goal - you're up for it.

The AFL has stopped people sliding into legs, only after they realised that making head contact sacrosanct caused diving into legs issues. Now they won't let you dive into legs, jump onto the ball, or stand up straight and deviate away from the ball to bump.

Basically they want more goals - see deliberate out of bounds issues - and everything they stop players from doing is a result of that want.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Well, ' Flying the flag is crap' coming from one of the biggest flag flyers of all. Anyone like to re-count a Scott Brisbane foray?
    Or...am I getting him confused with his brother... curse twins!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well Well, ' Flying the flag is crap' coming from one of the biggest flag flyers of all. Anyone like to re-count a Scott Brisbane foray?
    Or...am I getting him confused with his brother... curse twins!

I saw one of them in my local supermarket last week, but I could not tell which one it was.

(Sorry off topic a bit)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I saw one of them in my local supermarket last week, but I could not tell which one it was.

(Sorry off topic a bit)
    I seem to recall the Brisbane backline as being particularly ferocious.

You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I seem to recall the Brisbane backline as being particularly ferocious.

Is that the time they made Riewoldt cry?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that the time they made Riewoldt cry?
    Are you intimating that we should slap him on the calf a few times this week?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

17. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to watching North play this week. They likely will come out breathing fire and Richmond will poop their pants.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Bris Vegas back in 07 when Aker first played against his old team and recall one of the Scott boys on the news service being disappointed he wasn't playingto inflict some pain on Akermanis ! Pretty ordinary