Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge mindful of “let-down” after stirring win over Sydney

Link

ONE of the new signs adorning the back wall of the players’ meeting room at Whitten Oval has a picture of a snarling Bulldog above the words: “Men of Mayhem.’’

Underneath it are three qualities that the Bulldogs believe to be non-negotiables whenever they take the field: “Selfless’’, “compete always’’ and “manic pressure’’.

All three characteristics have been constants over the opening five rounds, as the Bulldogs have racked up four wins against more fancied opponents to move to third on the AFL ladder.

Last Saturday’s gripping win at the SCG over 2014 Grand Finalist Sydney was hailed as a win for the ages, but this week the Dogs face a challenge of a different nature as they go into a match against lowly St Kilda as strong favourites.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge conceded there was a danger of suffering a let-down after such an emotional win, but said the key would be to adhere to those non-negotiable Men of Mayhem principles.

“Our challenge is to maintain our intensity and our energy around the ball and away from it, and it’s crucial that we go in with the right mindset against the Saints, who were pretty impressive against the Bombers last week,’’ Beveridge said.

“We’ve got to be prepared for (St Kilda’s) best and expect that they’ll bring it and they’ll hopefully help us stay on the edge.

“It shouldn’t really matter what the pundits say about favouritism, we’ve just got to focus on what we can control and if we don’t then we run the risk of being vulnerable.’’

Beveridge said the club was embracing the widespread admiration being shown for the Dogs, and had no problem with the perception that they were everybody’s second-favourite team.

“I think it’s gold,’’ he said. “For some of our players to become, not cult figures, but favourite players of young kids and adults alike, who have got a soft spot for the Dogs.

“We’re looking to build pretty quickly and we’re playing our own brand of footy and we think it’s brilliant that people are throwing some accolades our way. But we also know that it can be fleeting.

“It’s great that we’ve sparked some interest in the public domain, and we’re a feel-good story at the moment, which is brilliant for our players and our club, but we need to guard against losing that.

“When you have a week like we’ve had this week where everything’s been positive and you see the smiles on people’s faces, you can’t help but wanting that from week to week. And like I said, the only way you can do it is to win and that’s what we set out to do.’’

Several commentators have adjusted their assessment of the Bulldogs, who were widely tipped to finish in the bottom quarter of the ladder. Now, with a relatively gentle match schedule through the 17-game run home, many are suggesting they could play finals.

But Beveridge said he had no intention of changing his approach and “we aren’t trying to look too far ahead’’.

He said performances such as the win over the Swans “give you a little bit more belief’’.

“We went into the year and everyone hopes a little bit because you don’t know what the opposition are like,’’ he said.

“And we believed that we were going to be able to challenge most sides in the competition, and last week’s performance validates that a little bit. As far as our expectations go, we think week to week that we’re a chance to win, so that doesn’t change.’’

He said the team had ‘’freshened up a little bit’’ at training during the week but still needed to make some selections changes. Lin Jong goes out of the team with a hand injury, while veteran Matthew Boyd potentially could have played this week, but the club wanted to sensible in managing his workload over the season.

“He got through last week’s game OK but he’s just had a little bit going on with some hamstring soreness … it just seemed like this week it was just too risky to force it,’’ Beveridge said.

The two inclusions, Lachie Hunter and Brett Goodes, would be expected to take their turn through the midfield, as would young forwards Mitch Honeychurch and Nathan Hrovat.

The Bulldogs and St Kilda will play for the Barker-Whitten Trophy named in honour of two legends of the clubs (Trevor Barker and EJ Whitten) who both lost their lives to cancer.

“Both of those men are held in high regard across the whole football public and I’ve had close relationships with both of them actually,’’

Beveridge said. “EJ presented me with my first football jumper at this football club and Trevor Barker was my first football idol. So there’s sentiment me for me.’’

But he suggested his charges would reflect on that aspect of the match after the final siren. In the meantime they needed to set their sights on being Men of Mayhem.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge mindful of “let-down” after stirring win over Sydney

I had to laugh at the SOA direction with this, but if the brotherhood theme is working...
    Just hope St Kilda meet Mr Mayhem tomorrow
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge mindful of “let-down” after stirring win over Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I had to laugh at the SOA direction with this, but if the brotherhood theme is working...
    Just hope St Kilda meet Mr Mayhem tomorrow
    Is that a new scarf you can organise:

Men of Mayhem
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope this doesn't blow back on the club. It's gotta land on you, brother.

Post Thanks / Like

Sort of wish this was kept under wraps a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah I say enjoy it all and suck it all in we haven't seen this for a few years, bask in it while we can , because we know what can happen.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We hoped and prayed this time it would finally be different, it wasn't sadly.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We hoped and prayed this time it would finally be different, it wasn't sadly.
    We all know this club extremely well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yet we dare to dream which makes it really hurt.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Next week.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    All teams have a bad loss at some point. Interested to see how this version of the bulldogs responds to the inevitable adversity of professional sport.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess as long time traumatised fans it comes as no shock.
    I'd be more p***** off if it was with a senior group contending

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    All teams have a bad loss at some point. Interested to see how this version of the bulldogs responds to the inevitable adversity of professional sport.
    We should learn a lot more out of today than we did out of last week
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

We have to realise you can't play full throttle for 120 minutes .
    Need to take the air out of the contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to take things one step at a time. It's clear we can attack, but now need better midfield and defensive men or methods
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus